What I have is a theme that's available only in .jad format, not .zip/.alx as ... 81xx Themes forum

greatcham0 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question No media card - can I install .jad with DM?

Advertisement

What I have is a theme that's available only in .jad format, not .zip/.alx as far as I can tell: Hidden Secrets. Looks fabulous!

I don't have a data package, so I can't receive theme OTA, and I'm also having a problem uploading it from my laptop to the BB (Pearl 8110) using the Device Manager. I assume this is because I don't have a media card; anyway, here's what I've tried so far. Using the Media Manager, I created a folder named "themes" in the Device Memory, alongside "pictures," "ringtones" etc., but although the Media Manager shows that I have now copied this .jad file into "themes," it's not findable on the BB either under Options->Themes or Media (no themes folder there at all). I should mention my OS is 4.3, so according to what I've read here I should not need any other software on the BB to unzip to .jad. (I have tried unzipping the .jad file through the Media Manager interface and it does the "expand" graphical flash but doesn't actually spawn any new files.) I hope this question is not repetitive, but I've read so many threads that are not helping in this case. For example, there is a thread that explains how you would easily do it if you did have a media card:

[I'm not allowed to post links, but it can be found by searching on "jad" and "zip" and the thread number is 74597, title is "The instructions: JAD theme files can download on your BB without DM nor OTA"]

Actually, my immediate problem could be solved in a much less technical way. Does anyone know of a specific theme that (1) has 100% transparent icons or no icons at all on the start page and (2) allows you to substitute your own wallpaper and (3) is available as .zip? Again, I've looked through a lot of lists and only found this one, but more experienced people must know plenty. Many thanks in advance for any advice!
    Last edited by greatcham0; 08-29-2008 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Adding info to specify what I was citing

bassvictim no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    HEAD
    try t. (no spaces) they have alot of stuff,most of them come with .zip formats. download mamger won't download .jad or .jar files - it will only locate the .alx and .cod files. check out that site, i'm sure you can find something similar to what you're looking for, and as far as changing the wallpaper for your home screen, just pick a picture,hit menu,and set as homescreen image - you can do that with any theme,and it will set it as your background. hope that helps a lil!
    Last edited by azstar; 10-07-2008 at 11:05 AM. Reason: content edit
    "I am a robot, I like robots, I have a robot vagina." -JP,Grandma's boy

Thanks -- so at least I was doing nothing wrong!

It does remain incredibly hard to find themes that have transparent / no icons on the homescreen. I've gone through some other lists, and now through page 25 of the site you just mentioned, and nothing -- even ones that appeared to be suitable still had 100% visible (and fugly) icons when I installed them and opened them up. Does anyone have suggestions...?

bassvictim no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    HEAD
    should try downloading theme builder - then download some theme builer goodies packs,and see if something in there has what youre looking for,and maybe create your own theme! you can find it here: http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...mic_theme.html

then just search the dowloads section for the goodies packs.
    "I am a robot, I like robots, I have a robot vagina." -JP,Grandma's boy

ROFL!!!! Your faith in my technical abilities is ... generous!

Happy ending, even if still a bit off topic: cherrichiodo.com has both the OTA and .zip versions of just about every free theme, including this one. Good for people who strongly prefer one of the two.