OK, first here's my basic info Pearl 8130, Alltel, OS 4.3.0.81, platform 3.1.0.40 First, In ... 81xx Themes forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Question Hidden theme questions

Advertisement

OK, first here's my basic info Pearl 8130, Alltel, OS 4.3.0.81, platform 3.1.0.40

First, In my list of themes on my BB, it lists the 4 Dimension themes: Icon, L, Today, and Zen.

But this is strange, if I download a theme (say i-berry blocks) and activate it, then delete it while it's in use, then I get an Alltel zen theme that appears, but in my list of themes it shows that the active theme is dimension zen and shows the dimension picture, but on my bb it's a blue Alltel background. If from there I switch to another dimension theme and then back to the dimension zen, it is changed back to normal and the Alltel theme has disappeared. Anyone else experienced this????

My next question is about the 15 hidden themes. When I go to C/program files/common files/RIM/shared/loader files/8130-v4.3....../java there are 15 other themes listed in additio n to the dimension themes which are activated on my bb. They range in size from 33k to 734k each.

I have several questions, I'm still rather ignorant about alot of this so please be patient with me

1. Are those really taking up space on my bb or are they not since they are locked and hidden?

2. Most recent threads say that unlocking them causes errors on the 8130, if anyone else with an Alltel 8130 has done this succesfully please share what worked for you.

3. If it really is taking up space on my bb is it safe to delete them all?

4. Is it safe to delete the dimension themes and what themes are essential and need to remain untouched?

firegeek no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Hidden theme questions

To the best of my knowledge they are taking up space. I erased most of them with the exception of zen and dimension. Freed up some space.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

There is a thread on here that talks about how to get rid of them. Just search the threads and follow the directions. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

dheuser21 no está en línea Stack level 2

to remove them go to options advanced options applications go down to the theme hit the menu (blackberry button) and hit delete. when ever i have tried to delete a theme or a third party app it comes up that an error has occured and that the bb has to restart...just let it do it and it will be gone. and yes it takes up room and another suggestion if you dont have a memory card GET ONE!!! make sure your pictures and videos are saved to the memory card ortherwise your sms and call log are going to get erased randomly
    Danny H
    PIN: 31A3674A

I'm talking about preloaded themes. These are not visible in the applications menu and can't be deleted straight from the BB. Yes I do have a memory card. I make sure to keep an eye on my memory and have never had anything delete due to low memory. I'm just trying to free up as much as possible.thanks for trying to help though! ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Can anyone with experience offer some input?~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

The only way to delete them is to not install them when you update the Device Software. This must be done very carefully to make sure you don't delete the specific theme that is required for any theme to work (Bricks BB). You need to edit your blackberry.alx file to change the VendorID to something other than that of your Carrier. Just deleting it will not work.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Well I guess I'll have to wait for 4.5 to come out then I'll get to mess with it. Thanks!~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

What about using JL_Cmder? Will that safely remove the hidden and unwanted themes? It looks easier than updating the OS and modifying alx codes............or is it harder than it seems? I don't want to brick it.

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ory_pearl.html

That post was a great help for me to know what I could and couldn't get rid of. Very basic. You will be able to get rid of the multi language cod's as well as the themes from the other carriers. You have to have your OS loaded onto your pc first. Sorry I couldn't post that last night. Was stacking at work from my BB.
    Last edited by firegeek; 02-09-2008 at 03:39 PM. Reason: an apology
    Firegeek......and crackberry addict

This says it's best done when installing new OS, what happens if you just modify the one you have?

jrsbcc no está en línea Stack level 2

You could do that. Just follow the directions carefully

I did that to the OS that I already have installed and it worked fine. It also freed up some memory by getting rid of the files that you don't need.
    Firegeek......and crackberry addict