Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've been keeping an eye on Blackberry's Yahoo Messenger download page. This morning I was ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Yahoo Messenger for Cingular - FINALLY, BUT...???

Advertisement

I've been keeping an eye on Blackberry's Yahoo Messenger download page. This morning I was finally able to download Yahoo Messenger. FYI some notes on this.

From the site, the device requirements are "16 MB BlackBerry device with a color screen (BlackBerry 7100 Series, BlackBerry 7200 Series, BlackBerry 7500 Series, BlackBerry 7700 Series? and BlackBerry 8700 Series), and OS v3.6.0 or higher".

You do NOT need Desktop Manager to install (in fact it must NOT be running) - just the Blackberry USB drivers. If you don't have them, plug the device in, and when XP asks for the drivers, let it get them from the Internet.

Once XP recognizes the device, in IE go to: http://www.blackberry.com/YahooDownload and follow the prompts. You may have to allow an ActiveX component (it's been a long time since I first tried this) and YIM should download and install on your device and then reboot it.

Now for the bad news. I have an 8700c running OS version 4.1.0.194, and connect to a BES server. Whenever I attempt to start YIM, I get the message "Please visit www.blackberry.com/go/yahoo to activate your handheld for Yahoo! Messenger.", but that site just leads back to the Yahoo Download page (above).

From the IT Administrators guide,
    it appears that something needs to be done on the server end.

Is this the case, or is the /go/yahoo site just not up yet, OR is there another way around the problem?

Thanks.
    Last edited by hayden; 05-02-2006 at 01:44 PM.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Yahoo Messenger for Cingular - FINALLY, BUT...???

I don't have BES... ideas anyone?
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

taeisme no está en línea Stack level 4

Well I have the stinky Cingular and yes you can download the program, no it will not work. If you have another service provider and you are on BES you need you computer guy to allow the IT policy for Yahoo. I am limited in the knowledge on BES but I am learning

BryanSE79 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    304CDF5D

This is NOT yet available for Cingular from what I now presently. Just about everyone else worldwide though.

I just got off the phone with Brandi and Cingular customer service and she said that they have no plans in allowing Yahoo for cingular cutomers.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

They're going to lose a lot of customers if they keep that up.

msbrenda64 no está en línea Stack level 5

Quote Originally Posted by taeisme
    I just got off the phone with Brandi and Cingular customer service and she said that they have no plans in allowing Yahoo for cingular cutomers.
    Was that a regular customer service rep or a tech? When I worked for Sprint regular customer service reps were not very knowledgable about such information and they had a bad tendency to misinform customers instead of transferring them to a Tier 1 tech. That just doesn't seem very competitive of them to refuse to work on getting this service for their customers.

I spoke with the BB tech.... Sad sad sad....

theodog98 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    202C5F7

I have to say, I am overall happy with the service area that 9ingular provides, however they just do not seem too bb friendly.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

I am surprised so many people actually use yahoo messenger...
    AIM ALL THE WAY BABY!

Yes there is another thread of stackers listing their Yahoo Messenger screennames LMAO Here it is http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ahoo+Messenger

I just don't see why that option stating "My carrier isn't listed" doesn't work for Cingular...

I tried and it wont work. I guess that it's the service books but I am not 100%

Quote Originally Posted by msbrenda64
    Was that a regular customer service rep or a tech? When I worked for Sprint regular customer service reps were not very knowledgable about such information and they had a bad tendency to misinform customers instead of transferring them to a Tier 1 tech. That just doesn't seem very competitive of them to refuse to work on getting this service for their customers.
    They said the same thing about BlackBerry Messenger and look how many people have gotten it.

BryanSE79 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    304CDF5D

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073
    I just don't see why that option stating "My carrier isn't listed" doesn't work for Cingular...
    Because you need the service book, which only the provider can push to your device. RIM does NOT push provider specific service books. Theres no way around it unfortunately for you cingular folks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast