Research In Motion has reached a deal with Yahoo to include instant message service in ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Yahoo! Messenger - factory installed on Blackerries!

Advertisement

Research In Motion has reached a deal with Yahoo to include instant message service in Blackberries. Yahoo instant message service will be installed on all BlackBerry devices in the next few months, Doug Garland, the senior vice president of Yahoo Mobile, said. "We are excited to extend the Yahoo experience to millions of BlackBerry users around the world," Garland said.

Read more...

mcm30114 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    20380ffe

what Yahoo should do is ..

First -- they need to get their personal portal apps (Calendar, Mail, Address book, etc) compatible with the blackberry. The only way to get any synchronization between the BB and the Yahoo Desktop Manager is to (as it seems) use an intermediary PIM (Outlook, Notes, etc) and then have a different installation of Intellisync (the free one from yahoo) to get to the Yahoo DB's from the local PIM.

The email seems to be the simplest -- as you enable it through the BWC as one of the POP/SMTP servers. (I'm doing that now). Getting Wireless calendar updates would be awesome.

Support for some BB address book data structures (additional email fields, PIN field, etc) would be nice.

I'd also like to see them follow more published standards -- EG: iCal / vCal for calendaring events, vCard for address book -- and while they are at it, enable WEBDAV so that we can Sync to the Yahoo calendars via iCal on the Mac.

Second -- start re-skinning the Yahoo portal to make it more palatable for different Pervasive devices. Look at the mobile.blackberry.com portal from your BB device to see how rich and slick the interface can be. WAP is for the lowest common denominator, and should only be used in emergency situations. Give me a rich client interface any day.

Getting the YIM client on the BB (for free, i'm presuming) is a good move -- now they need to add more of the "yahoo" brand and expereince to the pervasive browser devices.

Mike

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: what Yahoo should do is ..

Quote Originally Posted by mcm30114
    First -- they need to get their personal portal apps (Calendar, Mail, Address book, etc) compatible with the blackberry. The only way to get any synchronization between the BB and the Yahoo Desktop Manager is to (as it seems) use an intermediary PIM (Outlook, Notes, etc) and then have a different installation of Intellisync (the free one from yahoo) to get to the Yahoo DB's from the local PIM.

The email seems to be the simplest -- as you enable it through the BWC as one of the POP/SMTP servers. (I'm doing that now). Getting Wireless calendar updates would be awesome.

Support for some BB address book data structures (additional email fields, PIN field, etc) would be nice.

I'd also like to see them follow more published standards -- EG: iCal / vCal for calendaring events, vCard for address book -- and while they are at it, enable WEBDAV so that we can Sync to the Yahoo calendars via iCal on the Mac.

Second -- start re-skinning the Yahoo portal to make it more palatable for different Pervasive devices. Look at the mobile.blackberry.com portal from your BB device to see how rich and slick the interface can be. WAP is for the lowest common denominator, and should only be used in emergency situations. Give me a rich client interface any day.

Getting the YIM client on the BB (for free, i'm presuming) is a good move -- now they need to add more of the "yahoo" brand and expereince to the pervasive browser devices.

Mike
    nice write! thanks!

skishopmatt no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Yahoo! Messenger - factory installed on Blackerries!

MCM - Here Here! Great post. I agree with you 100%. When I saw the mobile.blackberry site (especially the previews of ringtones and such) I realized that wap is not the only option. Wow.

Anyway, kudos.

Matt