Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

so everyone is praising Opera Mini and saying its better than the Blackberry Browser. while ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

offthahorseceo no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C

why I HATE Opera mini

Advertisement

so everyone is praising Opera Mini and saying its better than the Blackberry Browser. while i agree that it does some things better than the browser, i hate it. its not overall better by any means and is actually annoying to me. Heres why:

Connection issues. 3 out of 5 times that i use it, i will type in my url and hit enter, and the "connecting" status bar will come up...and sit there...and sit there...and sit there. Sometimes it just keeps sitting there, other times it takes me to the connection failed error screen. It asks whether id like to troubleshoot or try again. this is very annoying especially because i can hop over to the BB browser and itll connect and load just fine

SLOOOOWWWW, it takes long compared to the bb browser to start up, and the interface is pretty slow , especially on the enter url portion, especially when you already have a page loaded.

not signed. everytime i click something it asks if I want to allow it to do that.

saving/downloading is a long process first i click the file, it asks if its allowed, then asks save or open, then asks if THATS allowed, then asks if it can open BB browser, then asks if it can ask bb browser to get the file, then asks where i want the file, and everytime i change directories it does it super slow, then it finally starts downloading...unless it decides its not gonna connect.

please tell me im doing something wrong, and then tell me how to do it right

the only reason i keep it around is because of the lack of file size limitation. i have downloaded a 14 meg file and i think the bb browser has a max of 3
    Last edited by offthahorseceo; 12-30-2008 at 03:15 PM.

e-berry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    wow, geez...

well i have the storm and i would have to agree with you about the saving/downloading part and the initial loading of the opera mini browser (which isn't so bad) , but its so much easier for me because opera mini actually lets you just tap the screen so its sooo much easier instead of actually clicking like the storm is supposed to be.

other than that i prefer opera mini 100 times over bb browser because it's blazing fast. i can't even blink before my pages load up as opposed to bb browser that takes forever to load stuff up.

as far as the not signed thing, i'm not sure what you are talking about. that probably depends on the sites you are trying to access.

perhaps check the settings..

maybe someone with a bold can help you out.
    --
    More than meets the eye.

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    Close Opera Mini. Enable your device firewall (Options->Security->Firewall->Enable). Open Opera Mini.

The next time you try to perform a network operation, it should prompt you for a rule creation (i.e. Allow socket connection to All). Once you allow that, the device should not prompt you on the first connection requests. I imagine you can do the same with file access.

Hack173 no está en línea banned
    PIN/ID
    249E4D70
    I Hate it too! Hahaha.

~via BB Bold (wap.pinstack.com)~

jag257 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Great... i just downloaded it... Theres nothing worse then a slow OR no connection.. Thx for the heads up, i think I'll stick with the default browser.
    Last edited by Lavagirl; 12-30-2008 at 04:29 PM. Reason: format edit
    JAG257
    iPhone4
    " Losers try their best, WINNERS do what ever it takes"

PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C
    well, it might just be me but i had the same problems on both my curves AND my bold. everyone else loves it though so use it before making your decision. this was just a rant on why i dont like it

jag257 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I could sense that you were typing hard during your rant... LOL
    JAG257
    iPhone4
    " Losers try their best, WINNERS do what ever it takes"

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    There are some sites that seem to not work well with BB browser, thats when I use opera mini.
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

tbhuang2 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Opera will always win in my book because TCP is always waaaaaay faster than BB browser's mandatory BIS (which goes through RIM's servers) connection.
    BB Wishlist:
    -Gmail BIS integration with an effective 2-way read/unread sync solution.
    -More capable integrated alarm.

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    Opera Mini was a must on my Curve. With the Bold, the new BlackBerry Browser is more than adequate to do what I need and I find Opera Mini to be redundant.

PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C
    Quote Originally Posted by jag257 View Post
    I could sense that you were typing hard during your rant... LOL

i originally missed this post...

yes actually i WAS typing hard hehe

Aleksrussian no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30546CA8
    Hmmm its not too bad lol but I'm always optimistic~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Vamp20048 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    hello
    I like it oh so much more then bb browser

PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C
    also, no copy and paste on the url...

Cherryberryz no está en línea Stack level 2
    yes there is you need to disable quick address input in the options menu and it will take you to a screen which allows you to perform all sorts of typing related tasks, copy, paste, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast