Every year my company has our National Meeting. Every year they print out bulky staff ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

Artful no está en línea Stack level 1

Why Hath Adobe Forsaken Us?

Advertisement

Every year my company has our National Meeting. Every year they print out bulky staff manuals so we can carry around all the info we need for the meeting and direct franchisees where they need to be at certain times. This is my first year with a Blackberry for the meeting. I've had a variety of Palms for previous meetings, so I lived up to my role as the 'tech guy' and carried around my manual as a PDF.

Enter 2008. I have a sweet 8320 and a dream. I go to Adobe's website to download PDF Reader for Blackberry, because I mean come on, they have it for EVERY other OS... and GASP. Adobe hates me. The company that got me through an art degree, making crazy loot teaching freelance training courses, and generally rocking my socks, has forsaken me.

This manual is about 50 pages. The flip to page, zoom, sharpen crap as an attachment just doesn't fly when someone asks you a question in a hallway on their way to a meeting. By updating to a cool device, have I somehow forced myself to go back to a paper manual to get done what I need to get done? Unacceptable!

I mean I understand that BB just started supporting microSD a few firmware revisions ago, but come on... PDF support ain't a new thang kemosabe. I'm even willing to pay for a REAL PDF solution, but there isn't even one available that allows me to toss a PDF on my media card, browse to it, and open it. Horsehockey!@#$#@%

Yes, I'm just venting, but come on Adobe, we want to play too.

jrusch no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31ADDE19

Re: Why Hath Adobe Forsaken Us?

This might work as "workaround" until Adobe comes up with something.

1. Install Mobipocket Reader v.6 on your BlackBerry
    2. Install Mobipocket Creator on your desktop.
    3. Import the PDF file into Mobipocket Creator and create an ebook.
    4. Copy the ebook to your SD card on your BlackBerry.
    5. Use Mobipocket Reader on your BlackBerry to read and search the ebook.

FairGame no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2436b02f

there was a free native pdf reader floating here in the stacks, search the third party app section

Artful no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by FairGame View Post
    there was a free native pdf reader floating here in the stacks, search the third party app section

If you're referring to Beamberry, meh. Weaksauce compared to viewing a PDF in it's native reader. I want to be able to add bookmarks, navigate to bookmarks, zoom without having to refresh, and be able to open from the micro SD without involving attachments.

Not asking for a miracle, just basic PDF functionality on an otherwise sweet device.

bsjmcconnell no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    4029C610

You might want to check out eoffice. I believe the view all or the master doc portion of that program will help you out. It has a trial, then cost a good chunk of change

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6

Well PDF's are viewable on a BB right out of the box...the only problem is loading time, and the quality, but I've successfully compressed a 32page brochure which original Adobe Indesign file was over 86mb to a 2mb PDF.....but the quality sux, and its kinda hard to view on your BB

But yes...an easy zoomable PDF viewer would be sweet!!!

FairGame no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2436b02f

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    If you're referring to Beamberry, meh. Weaksauce compared to viewing a PDF in it's native reader. I want to be able to add bookmarks, navigate to bookmarks, zoom without having to refresh, and be able to open from the micro SD without involving attachments.

Not asking for a miracle, just basic PDF functionality on an otherwise sweet device.
    Yes thats what I was referring to, it was straight fwd, you can view the contents of the pdf attachment but no modifications as you stated.

hinky no está en línea Stack level 1
    No, PDFs are not legible. The server zoom just shows a poorly bitmapped image larger of a 320x240 representation of the image. It's horrific and needs a native reader.

DonGato no está en línea Stack level 3
    Well, the bundled PDF viewer is useless (it's just to confirm the content but not for reading). Really bad quality that doesn't let you read much of a document.

The BeamBerry solution was better but is a paid one and also a server based solution with not much functionality and quite slow IMO.

Yes, I think Adobe should have come already with a solution for BlackBerry knowing it's just Java code with a nice installer packaging and some additional APIs.
    Last edited by DonGato; 06-07-2008 at 03:56 PM.