Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally Posted by ShimmyShine Not to sound dumb, but what is it? Lol Thanks, Shimmy ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

hawkins no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ask me.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmyShine View Post
    Not to sound dumb, but what is it? Lol

Thanks,

Shimmy

The Wall Street Journal. There is an app that you can add to your BB.

misterrx no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31A53A3E
    Quote Originally Posted by junoreactor View Post
    I liked it too, but it ate up my memory causing my berry to crash too often and having to do battery pull~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Juboreactor I had the same problem, though I did clode out and did not let it run in the background. In fact even after uninstall and reboot I am still having excessive memory loss and battery pulls. Kinda strange to me.

davidboydca no está en línea Developer
    Hello everyone.

I'm the developer of the WSJ Journal app and I'm very interested in the "out of memory" issues and battery pulls that some people described here.

The app has been designed to use a minimal amount of storage (usually about 1.2Mb in total) and it constantly recycles records to stay within that range. In fact, the app even listens for notifications of low storage from the Blackberry OS and automatically deletes older records to free up space.

It's also designed to be frugal with system memory as well. It can run well, for example, on a Blackberry 7290 which is very resource constrained.

What exactly prompts the battery pulls? Does it show an error? Does the application lock up?

Also can one of you that's having the problem go to the "Settings -> About" screen and report the text you see starting with "Article count"?

Thanks,
    David Boyd
    CTO, FreeRange

-5.0- no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    207D1BB6
    Quote Originally Posted by ShimmyShine View Post
    Not to sound dumb, but what is it? Lol

Thanks,

Shimmy

No doubt

darryl71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    retired
    whats the link ?

You can download from:

wsjmobilereader.com

Also, I forgot to mention before that there are several ways to exert fine control on how much storage space the application takes on the Blackberry.

In Settings -> Cache, you can change the following:

Total maximum number of articles stored - Change this from 1000 to reduce the amount of storage used for articles

Maximum full story data stored - Reduce this from 512k to reduce the amount of storage used for storing full stories

Maximum image data stored - Reduce this from 512k to reduce the amount of storage used for storing images

In Settings -> Display, you can also turn off Close sends application to background and also Show confirmation when closing application so that when you escape out of the app, it will close it instead of leaving it running in the background. This will reduce your overall memory usage.

gettindegreed no está en línea Stack level 1
    I liked as well. But it uses to much memoery and slowed down my bb consideralbly. Had to end up deleting it. I guess the paper version it will have to stay. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

extraducksauce no está en línea Stack level 2
    can you install the WSJ app without having a data plan? in other words, can you download the WSJ via wifi and then read it on the go, OR do you have to have a data plan to read the files in the first place?

You can install and run the application without a SIM solely via WiFi. It works fine on my Bold.

c0rinne no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240C94BF
    I don't think I've had any major memory loss. Although, I would like to clear the cache, and I don't see an option for that. It's a smaller app than viigo, and since I like to maintain around 32-33mbs of free memory, I've deleted the viigo beta and re-installed this. I edited the cache info to limit things a bit though. I think it's also easier to read. A lot less customization, but there's a lot on viigo that I don't want and can't get rid of so. WSJ wins out by a hair.

I don't like that I keep getting the same articles though.
    Last edited by c0rinne; 09-04-2008 at 05:21 PM.

extraducksauce no está en línea Stack level 2
    it's not running on my 4.5.0.52. i dl'ed and installed the WSJreader from the provided ota link, but it will not load on my bb curve. any suggestions?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12