I've noticed some weird behavior in v2.2.82's updating. I have Maximum Articles set to 100 ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

o1sowise no está en línea Stack level 3

Question Weird Update Behavior

Advertisement

I've noticed some weird behavior in v2.2.82's updating.

I have Maximum Articles set to 1000 and Maximum Articles Per Channel set to 50.
    • If I left it auto-update, it will only show me 5 articles (I believe these are the 5 newest, but cannot be sure).
    • If I tell it to manually update a certain channel, it will only show me 5 articles (I believe these are the 5 newest, but cannot be sure. I can see it load older ones, but they are replaced by newer ones right before my eyes).
    • If I delete the channel and re-add it, I get many more than 5.
    Is this the design or a bug?
    Last edited by o1sowise; 02-07-2008 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Clarify, Typo

jesssquire no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    250edab5

Re: Weird Update Behavior

Hey o1sowise,
    Given that your Maximum Articles are set to 100, (a relatively low number), Viigo accommodates for this each update cycle by: deleting old content on the device (in many cases that could include content that just came in) to keep the total number to be no more than the max article limit. We have an imposed minimum of 5 articles per channel - to ensure that we do not have any feed that gets totally starved of content.

A quick workaround is to increase your maximum article count to something higher - like 500, or 1000.

Jesse

Oops, see the top item for correction.
    I meant to say I have Maximum Articles set to 1000 and Maximum Articles Per Channel set to 50.
    Can you answer again, please for my actual numbers?
    Sorry.

PIN/ID
    250edab5

How many feeds do you have in Viigo? (More than 100?)

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by jesssquire View Post
    How many feeds do you have in Viigo? (More than 100?)
    Last edited by o1sowise; 02-13-2008 at 01:54 PM. Reason: I added 66 more this week!

I'm up to 734 feeds now and I'm not sure if that makes it behave the way it does, but I don't understand why I loose articles. It seems like a logic error to me. If a feed was just added, or has a bunch of new articles, I would expect to see the oldest articles, not the newest ones.

Let's assume a feed has >5 articles. If I just add it, I would expect it to show me the oldest 5 articles (5 being defined in my options). The next update cycle should know where I left off and if I have not read these, it should just maintain the pointer and check again next time. If, on the update pass, I read 3 articles, Viigo should get me three more (oldest, not newest). I should never miss stuff just because I can't read that fast.

Am I off base here?

monica.simons no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASKME

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ unfortunatly I think so. I see what your saying, but I don't think viigo works that way. It's going to always give you the newest information.. Not oldest first and remember where you left off.
    Sorry

BluesDrive no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241BC149

I think you having so many feeds is why it's messing up. Wait...by feeds do you mean articles or channels? If you mean channels, then that's the reason why.

Viigo does random updates I think(updates them in random order) and whatever gets updated first gets to keep their articles

monica.simons no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASKME

Are you sure about hat Blue? BTW good morning
    Providing customers with the latest in news and info along with experienced one on one tech support, training, product sales, exclusive themes and more.

BluesDrive no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241BC149

am I sure about that? no. That's just what I'm assuming from my viigo set up.

Sorry for the confusion, I mixed up my terms...

Yes, I have 734 channels/feeds.

Yes, I agree that Viigo does show me the newest articles.
    No, I don't agree that's the right way to do it.

PIN/ID
    250edab5

Thanks everyone for raising some interesting topics/debates. It's always pleasant to stumble across a thread where users debate the way Viigo should behave. (It definitely makes my job more fun!)

I'll let you in on a little secret... we're constantly in discussion about ways we can improve the overall Viigo experience.

My two cents on the topic: We should consider that not all feeds/channels are created equally. The source, the purpose, and the nature of the feeds are a lot like snowflakes... no two are the same. Many Viigo users have different uses for Viigo... and this undoubtedly shapes their opinion on how Viigo should behave.

Can I add a request for a future release? I'd like to see the search order sequence made into an option. I would prefer to keep the oldest articles and not have them replaced by newer until I have read the older ones. Others may want the reverse.

btw - my channel count is now 725.