Okay, so I backed myself into a corner. I got WebMessenger so I could use ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

MacWebDev no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ask

WebMessenger MSN Name

Advertisement

Okay, so I backed myself into a corner.

I got WebMessenger so I could use AOL & MSN (Windows Live) Messenger on my Rogers BB 8310. Setup was a breeze, and I'm happy enough with the interface and the way everything works not to complain.

With the exception of not being able to change my MSN name!

When I first set up the WebMessenger account and signed into MSN, it pulled my current MSN name (presumably) from the server. I need to change it! If it can't be changed on a regular basis, I'm fine with that. Just let me change it once to something that would be appropriate all the time.

If only I had known this would happen, I would have made the change before signing up.

Anyone successfully changed your MSN name on WebMessenger on the BB? Any suggestions?

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: WebMessenger MSN Name

I'm not familiar with Webmessenger but if you can't rename/change the ID, can you delete it and reregister the ID that you want to use?

EronRackzak no está en línea Stack level 1

Maybe you should try logging with another web messenger service like ebuddy and change your name from there. I've had your problem and that made it. Just let me know if you need further info and I'll help you out.

PIN/ID
    Ask

Thanks for all your help.

I finally got this worked out late last night.

For anyone else having this issue, here's what happened: Deleting the account and re-adding it didn't work for most of the day. Nothing would (not even re-installing the app). Incredibly frustrating. I emailed WebMessenger support, and they got back to me quickly, but told me to sign out and back in. Still didn't work.

Late last night I tried this again from home instead of work, and the change took. Fantastic! But why? From a little more playing around, it seems that only certain versions of Windows Live Messenger (MSN) would push the name update to the BB WebMessenger - or presumably to the MSN servers. The MSN web-based messenger wouldn't make the change properly. The newest version of Windows Live Messenger (at work or at home) wouldn't either. But an older version (still labeled MSN messenger) on Windows worked just fine! And both the Mac MSN client from Microsoft and aMSN for Mac had the change working fine.

I have no idea why this is the case. I checked all the settings and they are identical on each client. It may even be a random fluke I experienced. But in any case, that's what worked for me.

Thanks for all your help & suggestions!

Have a good one!

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

Puzzling - Glad you finally got it. Sometimes the messenger programs take a while to update information like renaming, etc. I guess they can't all be instantaneous as we would like and it's confusing...but that's life. Keep stacking.

PIN/ID
    Ask

Puzzling indeed.

And after switching to the BB from an HTC Touch, I'm so used to instant delivery with PUSH that I seem to have no patience anymore! I guess I need to work on that.

Thanks! Relatively new to the Stacks, and loving it here!