It was just released a couple of days ago. I had been using 1.0 and ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

galavanter no está en línea Stack level 3

Vlingo 2.0 Now Released

Advertisement

It was just released a couple of days ago. I had been using 1.0 and this new version is much improved. It launches more apps, including third party such as Viigo, Opera, Google Maps, and you can now Twitter and update Facebook status with it. It now includes SureType support too.

Network connection seems faster to me, but the most noticeable improvement in my eyes is that the font size is now controlled by the phone OS. So it is much larger and easier to edit. Strange that this is not even mentioned in the new features...

You now just say "search" instead of "web search" to initiate one with google or yahoo, either of which is selectable in Vlingo options like before.

If you have the earlier version installed, an update link will appear at the top of the Vlingo start page on your BB. Otherwise check out Vlingo.com

http://www.vlingo.com/pdf/vlingo%20v...00%20FINAL.pdf
    Last edited by galavanter; 10-31-2008 at 05:58 PM.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Thanks for the heads up!

Once you've installed the upgrade, you can list the details of the new release. One of the first things mentioned was its compatibility with the 4.5 OS.

I also liked that with this upgrade, you don't need to set everything up again like you had to before.

I should have mentioned the 4.5 compatibility. Still works great in 4.2 too!

dubie76 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Thumbs down

Again, I would have to say that I spent more time typing in what I wanted because the program would get it wrong when I said it. I think I will wait until they tweak that aspect.
    Sprint Tour 9630
    OS 5.0.0.230 (Leaked)

Not a Vlingo lobbyist, but just for fun I read your post just once into Vlingo, and emailed it to my desktop. I said "comma" and "period" where applicable. No corrections were made. Other threads on other boards claim the accuracy of translation was improved. I haven't used it enough to say. Again, corrections are also now much easier with the larger font size.

Vlingo translated:
    again, i would have to say that i spend more time typing in what i wanted because program get wrong what i said it. i think i will wait until they treat that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by dubie76 View Post
    Again, I would have to say that I spent more time typing in what I wanted because the program would get it wrong when I said it. I think I will wait until they tweak that aspect.

Then I spoke the old typing class phrase, "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country".

Vlingo translated: now is the time for all good man to come to the aid of their country.

Scrolling over "man" I was given the option to choose the popup "men".

Vlingo also scored a 100% on the old elocution teaching phrase, "How now brown cow".

YMMV but I am very impressed with this speech to text application.
    Last edited by galavanter; 11-01-2008 at 12:43 AM.

Anyone else having an issue with this release where you press or release the programmed convenience key and the phone vibrates momentarily? Didn't do that on earlier releases.

Angus_413 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    It made me go through the setup again? Oh well it works good though~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

You must have installed "Tingo" by mistake. I hear it's available ota at thepleasurechest.com.

Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    Anyone else having an issue with this release where you press or release the programmed convenience key and the phone vibrates momentarily? Didn't do that on earlier releases.

toomuchgame441 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30457A4C
    I DL the new version the day before yesturday and it doesn't preform as well as I want it to. Mainly in the voice to text criteria. I hope its gets better w/ knowing what I'm trying to say as I use it more
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I just received a replacement Curve from Rim and installed Vlingo on 4.5. I was running 4.2 on the one that died a sudden death.

I never had any vibrations on 4.2 but 4.5 seems to have that as a (new?) option in the alerts settings. You can set it to "off" and it stops. If you have it set to "vibration", it does so momentarily when you push to talk, when it starts "thinking", and when it returns text. Too many vibes for me.

Low, medium, and high just vibrate when you push and when it has finished translating. I like this as I used to have to watch the led indicator light up before speaking, so as not to jump the gun. With vibrate on I just push, feel, and talk, knowing the app will not miss the beginning word or two.

Thanks for the info, galavanter. Never bothered to check the settings.

Thanks,
    Roger