Hi, Anyone else tried the Google Reader integration on the latest version of Viigo? I ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

hamsup1o no está en línea Stack level 1

Viigo 2.2.82 Google Reader integration issue...

Advertisement

Hi,
    Anyone else tried the Google Reader integration on the latest version of Viigo? I decided to give it a try but am having an issue with it. I am able to get the Google Reader section and the list of subscriptions (only have 2 just to test it out) on Viigo using the Aggregator Wizard however none of the articles are synchronizing. One of my subscriptions on Google Reader is showing 23 new items and another showing 25 new items. However, it is showing 0s for both on Viigo. On the Viigo website, it says it may take a few seconds for the first articles to show up in the feeds but it has been a day since I set this up and it's still showing zero. Anyone else that is using Google Reader seeing this? TIA!!

petey no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Viigo 2.2.82 Google Reader integration issue...

Quote Originally Posted by hamsup1o View Post
    Hi,
    Anyone else tried the Google Reader integration on the latest version of Viigo? I decided to give it a try but am having an issue with it. I am able to get the Google Reader section and the list of subscriptions (only have 2 just to test it out) on Viigo using the Aggregator Wizard however none of the articles are synchronizing. One of my subscriptions on Google Reader is showing 23 new items and another showing 25 new items. However, it is showing 0s for both on Viigo. On the Viigo website, it says it may take a few seconds for the first articles to show up in the feeds but it has been a day since I set this up and it's still showing zero. Anyone else that is using Google Reader seeing this? TIA!!

Hi hamsup1o,

Our servers are processing a huge backlog of feeds at this time, which will clear shortly, hense the delay in getting articles. User demand for Viigo has gone through the roof recently, and we ask for our user's patience as we (a) further optimize our servers over the next few days and (b) move to the new data centre, thereby enabling us to double our processing power.

Thanks again for your patience.
    Pete

hamsup1o no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by petey View Post
    Hi hamsup1o,

Our servers are processing a huge backlog of feeds at this time, which will clear shortly, hense the delay in getting articles. User demand for Viigo has gone through the roof recently, and we ask for our user's patience as we (a) further optimize our servers over the next few days and (b) move to the new data centre, thereby enabling us to double our processing power.

Thanks again for your patience.
    Pete
    Thanks for the quick response Pete! Completely understand your situation. That what I thought at first when it wasn't syncing. Couple of questions I do have with the synchronization with Google Reader. I understand that Phase 1 doesn't sync read/unread articles but what articles/items does Viigo pull from Google Reader? For my example, right now I have 23 new items on one subscription and 25 on another. Will I see all 23 and 25 items on Viigo on first sync when the server issue clears up? Basically what I'm asking is when Viigo syncs, it will only grab what is unread on Google Reader? If I was to view a few articles from each of the subscriptions (in Google Reader), on next Viigo sync, will I still see the 23 and 25 items are will I see 20 and 22 items. Hope that make sense. Thanks again for your time!
    Last edited by hamsup1o; 01-31-2008 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hamsup1o View Post
    Thanks for the quick response Pete! Completely understand your situation. That what I thought at first when it wasn't syncing. Couple of questions I do have with the synchronization with Google Reader. I understand that Phase 1 doesn't sync read/unread articles but what articles/items does Viigo pull from Google Reader? For my example, right now I have 23 new items on one subscription and 25 on another. Will I see all 23 and 25 items on Viigo on first sync when the server issue clears up? Basically what I'm asking is when Viigo syncs, it will only grab what is unread on Google Reader? If I was to view a few articles from each of the subscriptions (in Google Reader), on next Viigo sync, will I still see the 23 and 25 items are will I see 20 and 22 items. Hope that make sense. Thanks again for your time!
    Viigo syncs up with the Aggregator every hour or so...

You will only see articles that are newly posted, not existing articles.

The number of articles that are displayed in Viigo will depend on the publisher of that particular feed, not on the aggregator.

Viigo will not sync read/unread articles; and thus, read/unread articles have no effect on what is displayed in Viigo.

The number of articles that appear in Viigo will probably not match what appears in an Aggregator's list of articles, since its very likely that our update times differ from the aggregator's update times. (For example, change the update interval to 1 day or 12 hours in Viigo and the number of articles that appear in your aggregator's list will be totally different from what appears in Viigo).

If a sync'ed channel does not appear to update, highlight the channel, launch the menu, and select "Update Channel" from the list of options. This will force an update of the channel.

Note: You may or may not see articles when you force an update on a channel. This depends on the content publisher and how often they publish their articles.

Hope this helps,
    Pete
    Last edited by petey; 01-31-2008 at 03:52 PM.

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Not to try and threadjack, but this does relate to Google Reader.
    Is there any way to remove or change the Google Reader account? I didn't notice any way to do so without reinstalling.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

WirelessVC no está en línea Stack level 2

To remove your Google Reader feeds you need to visit your MyViigo account on the web (head over to www.viigo.com and click on My Viigo).

Once there, you can enter your Viigo user name and password and you will see the list of your feeds, including your Google Reader group. Click on the X to remove the google reader feeds.

When you next do an Update All ... or when Viigo next updates by itself, the Google Reader feeds will all be removed.

StarMile no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~are your servers still overwhelmed? I only ask as I updated and added Google Reader immediately after the announcement the other day and feeds have yet to upate. Right after installing I was able to get three of my numerous feeds to update manually, since then nothing! Unfortunately I deleted one of my favorite feeds from the Viigo side sine it was in Google's reader, and now I can't add it back to the Viigo side from within the program.

Should I just hold out a few days? As it is neither set of feeds appears to be updating.

WirelessVC no está en línea Stack level 2

The feeds should behave the same regardless of whether they are Google Reader sync'd or not. I'll get Pete to follow up ASAP.

How many feeds do you subscribe to?

Mark Ruddock
    CEO
    Viigo

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Hi Mark,

I should say right here at the start that I love Viigo, and I love Google Reader. I look forward to the day when I may be able to use both without a hitch.

Unfortunately I'm probabaly your worst nightmare, I can't say for sure until I get near a computer but I'd venture to guess I have between 300 - 400 feeds in Google Reader. I guess I'm sort of like Scoble in that it's my main interface with the web these days. You can't beat it for speed and the amount of info you can cover...

I didn't have near that in Viigo of course, more like 50 and I was paring that down.

I'll be happy to chat with Pete over email or whatever if this doesn't clear and you guys want to dig in to this issue.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Mark, I'll just reply here to Pete's PM rather than return via PM in case anyone else can benefit.

Just before posting my previous message I pulled the battery for a hard restart. At the time I had the spiining hourglass on my screen and it seemed it was going to be there a while, the active app was Viigo. In hindsight I think it's possible it was finally sucking down feeds again, and I might have jumped the gun. Regardless, after making that last post I fired up Viigo again and it seems to be bringing down feeds just fine, both from Viigo and my Google Reader account.

For the record, I'd performed the close via the menu and wait operation mentioned in his PM numerous times since the upgrade with no luck, in addition to one or two battery pulls for good measure. What can I say other than I need my feeds. I'll keep y'all posted should any thing else crop up.

Thanks for the fast replies!

Quote Originally Posted by StarMile View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Hi Mark,

I should say right here at the start that I love Viigo, and I love Google Reader. I look forward to the day when I may be able to use both without a hitch.

Unfortunately I'm probabaly your worst nightmare, I can't say for sure until I get near a computer but I'd venture to guess I have between 300 - 400 feeds in Google Reader. I guess I'm sort of like Scoble in that it's my main interface with the web these days. You can't beat it for speed and the amount of info you can cover...

I didn't have near that in Viigo of course, more like 50 and I was paring that down.

I'll be happy to chat with Pete over email or whatever if this doesn't clear and you guys want to dig in to this issue.
    Hi StarMile

I PM'ed you.

The total number of combined Google Reader feeds and Viigo feeds you have is very likely what's causing the issue of Viigo not appearing to update.

Let me explain.

If you have your max articles set to 1000, and you have 500 feeds, you'll have an average of 2 articles per feed. (some feeds may have a few more articles, and some a few less depending upon the feed publisher), but on average, lets' say 2 articles per feed.

So when Viigo does update, and only a few articles appear here and there, its likely that the max article limit is being reached. Some channels, perhaps many channels, may not have any articles in them, and thus appear not to have updated.

I'm an information junkie myself, and I want my information immediately. But I suggest waiting a few hours to see if the articles update on their own.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
    Pete

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Hi Pete,

I understand the issue with 1000 articles, etc. I deleted tons of stuff just after the upgrade precisely because I was worried about that cropping up. However it never really came in to play, the Google Reader feeds simply stayed stuck on 0 no matter what, save for the couple I was able to update manually that first time out.

All is good now, and most of the Google feeds show 5 articles which is reasonable.

I do have a feature requset however. For those of us with hundreds of feeds in our aggregators, it might be helpful to deselect certain feeds or a folder of feeds from coming over to Viigo. For instance, I have about 35 music industry feeds that are essentially mp3s. For various reasons, I can't ever see myself wanting them on my BB but they're a must in my Google Reader. Not being familiar with the technical issues involved, I have no idea if this even feasible of course.

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

I would be nice to individually delete feeds from Google Reader from within Viigo or to somehow have access to the tags I have in Google Reader. They seem very disorganized from what I'm used to. Like, for instance if each tag in Reader could have it's own heading in Viigo. Possibly collapsable to save space.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Ben, I agree. However in my case it's not so much a space issue, but rather that it's a waste of the available articles for a heavy user; good point about the folders,etc as they would come in handy. Then again I imagine it's tough to keep code lean on devices like these.

I certainly had no intention of hijacking this thread, so if anyone want's to discuss it further we should probably take it to a new one.
    Last edited by StarMile; 02-01-2008 at 02:50 PM. Reason: corrected spelling

beejreit no está en línea Stack level 2
    will there ever be an update where it will sync the read/unread status from google, or even starred/saved articles in both google and viigo?