When I updated the OS for the 8300, my "registration" for the Empower email viewer ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID

Updated OS...now my "registration" has dissappeared!!!!

Advertisement

When I updated the OS for the 8300, my "registration" for the Empower email viewer and my Bookworm game dissapeared!!!! Why? What happened? How can I get it back without paying for it?
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

bpursley no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Updated OS...now my "registration" has dissappeared!!!!

Did you try emailing them? Also, if you bought them from Handango or someplace like that, they should have your codes.

tdawg no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    241F06A2

Quote Originally Posted by sashadelgado
    When I updated the OS for the 8300, my "registration" for the Empower email viewer and my Bookworm game dissapeared!!!! Why? What happened? How can I get it back without paying for it?
    Yea email them, with your PIN and tell them the situation. And the next time just save it to file on your computer
    BB8900 is mine!

Klotar no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207BADEB

When you upgrade OS's, the rule (although there are exceptions) is that you have to re-enter your registration keys.

While on one hand, it seems to not make sense since the OS upgrade process restores your 3rd party applications, why not the reg keys also, you ask?

On the other hand, it makes perfect sense. Just like on your desktop machines, reloading the OS means starting out fresh (not exactly, but I think it's a good analogy). You have to reinstall all of your applications and get stuff set up the way you like it again.

3rd party applications (that the OS knows about obviously but doesn't know everything that there is to know about every 3rd party application) often use temporary files to store various application data, including often times the registration info. An OS load (or upgrade) backs up your databases (contacts, calendar, etc.) and 3rd party applications, wipes the OS, reloads the new OS and then reloads your 3rd party apps. Temporary files are usually not restored (I can't remember offhand if bookmarks and cookies are though -- but they are temporary files created by the OS's base applications, so they might be saved).

So as a matter of routine, after I upgrade the OS, I re-enter all of my registration info on all my 3rd party apps. In my case, 25 times or so. And I usually have to re-do the application security settings too.

With an unlocked phone on a different carrier than the original, there is even an additional step; usually you have to manually reset your APN settings, host routing tables, and so on. I use an unlocked Cingular phone on the Rogers network, and after an OS upgrade, my phone thinks it's Cingular and so some things don't work right away until I change some settings. Users that use a the phone on the network they bought it from that upgrade the OS won't run into these particular issues, but will still have to re-enter many of the reg keys for thier 3rd party apps.

Hope that made sense.
    -Klotar
    Supervising Manager of the Department of Redundancy Department.