I admit that I am new to the Blackberry world, and how things work. I ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

gtshipp no está en línea Stack level 1

Trying to understand JAR files for 8700g

Advertisement

I admit that I am new to the Blackberry world, and how things work. I am having difficulty understanding JAR and JAD files and how they get converted into alx and COD files, and why.

I currently have a T-mobile 8700g with a Pay As you Go plan for the time being. OS = 4.2 and I use the desktop manager to upload application and to sycn between my desktop and device. No SD memory.

As i understand it, if i had a data plan, I could use my browser to download these JAR and JAD files. If not, it sounds like these are files that need to be complied for your particuar phone via the instructions similar to what I found at this link (http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...nt-do-ota.html) through a development process.

Questions:
    1: What is the difference between a JAR and JAD file?
    2: On a scale of 1 - 10, how much time and effort is required to get these converted over to file that I can load with the desktop manager from my PC?

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    You can load a Jar file on your bb without converting it. All you need to do is get the file on your device either by the DM or bluetooth. then click the jar file and it will ask to install.

So I got the file onto my device using the media manager into a new folder called games under /device memory/home/user/picture/games, however when I go to my device, I can't set the file. I also can't seem to find an option to see all file extentions.

I tried getting to it by the brower, but no luck. Does the Blackberry have a concept of a file manager that can be installed?

I have not tried copying it via bluetooth, but I am afraid it would be coping it to the same location and my theory is that the pictures dir is set up to only see certian file extentions.

Any ideas on what I can do next? Thx

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6
    Okay, I'm not sure if this will work for you, but it worked for me (on a Pearl 8100), Go into your media, transfer the .jar file via bluetooth, your device automatically saves it to a location it chooses.

Then go to Media>Menu>Explore>Media Card - it should be right there

Hope this helps!!
    if not, it may be the difference in OS and/or Device

Good Luck

bpursley no está en línea Stack level 2
    I'm pretty sure just copying the jad file to your media card will not do anything, but hey, I may be wrong.

JAD files are for installing an application ota... so if you have a data plan you can open your browser and enter the URL for the JAD file and it installs directly to your device (my favorite way).

But if you want to install via desktop manager, you need to get the ALX and COD files.

Check out this blog post I found that talks about the difference.
    http://www.blackberryinsight.com/200...pplications-2/

Also I've found that some versions of desktop manager are broken and say that it can't find any compatible applications for your device when you select the ALX file. If thats the case you will need to get the latest Desktop Manager for RIM and install it.

So here is what I have been able to finally discover. I managed to transfer a JAD file both via Roxie Media Manager, and Bluetooth. I was not able to see the file from my Blackberry. I was able to verify that they files were there via the Media Manager and Aeize Explorer. However when I tried to open the file it immediately lanunched the browser, but because I do not have a data plan, no Service book exist, and therefore I can not install a JAD file on my Blackberry.

So it looks like you need to install a JAD file OTA, or you need to at least have a data plan available to beable to open up the browser, plus some application that will allow you to actually see the file on your unit.

Thanks for all the help.

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6
    Quote Originally Posted by gtshipp View Post
    So here is what I have been able to finally discover. I managed to transfer a JAD file both via Roxie Media Manager, and Bluetooth. I was not able to see the file from my Blackberry. I was able to verify that they files were there via the Media Manager and Aeize Explorer. However when I tried to open the file it immediately lanunched the browser, but because I do not have a data plan, no Service book exist, and therefore I can not install a JAD file on my Blackberry.

So it looks like you need to install a JAD file OTA, or you need to at least have a data plan available to beable to open up the browser, plus some application that will allow you to actually see the file on your unit.

Thanks for all the help.
    YUP!!! .jar & .jad files are for OTA, but I've installed apps using the .jar file that I transfered via bluetooth to my device