I have looked at the sites for many VOIP apps for smartphones but are there ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

aaronlbloom no está en línea Stack level 1

Question True VOIP without / data only, no phone

Advertisement

I have looked at the sites for many VOIP apps for smartphones but are there any that do not make a phone call as part of the process, that use ONLY wifi or data plan? Most involve calling a local number and using VOIP from that point to provide low cost options, or making a phone call to provide a call back number. Others are unclear on how they work, perhaps one does what I want and I didn't understand their "how it works" section. I have found many posts on this subject but none with an answer to this question. (If it is has been out there in a different thread I apologize, I did search for a while first.)
    You can use skype or many messenging services on your PC to make phone calls over the internet without phone service, is it possible to do something similiar with an unlimited data plan or wifi on your smarthphone, no phone call involved?
    I don't mind if this service requires a fee (like skype calling PC to landline), so long as a mobile phone call is not initiated.

(I have a BB 9630 with unlimited data, verizon (so no wifi))

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    I have not seen anything that will do what you're describing. Would be a kick in the butt to carriers. The closest I've seen is the Google Voice app which can do quite a bit using a data plan, including SMS (though it's more like Pull, rather then Push), but even it still uses your carrier when placing a call.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

dlsolo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    I hope Vonage does offer a app that will allow the use of Wifi or data to make calls...
    Current OS: Mark Hayes 9550 v2.1 Hybrid
    Driphter.com - Help and Support Team
    Email: dlsolo@driphter.com
    Google Talk: dlsolo@gmail.com

Yutzz no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronlbloom View Post
    I have looked at the sites for many VOIP apps for smartphones but are there any that do not make a phone call as part of the process, that use ONLY wifi or data plan? Most involve calling a local number and using VOIP from that point to provide low cost options, or making a phone call to provide a call back number. Others are unclear on how they work, perhaps one does what I want and I didn't understand their "how it works" section. I have found many posts on this subject but none with an answer to this question. (If it is has been out there in a different thread I apologize, I did search for a while first.)
    You can use skype or many messenging services on your PC to make phone calls over the internet without phone service, is it possible to do something similiar with an unlimited data plan or wifi on your smarthphone, no phone call involved?
    I don't mind if this service requires a fee (like skype calling PC to landline), so long as a mobile phone call is not initiated.

(I have a BB 9630 with unlimited data, verizon (so no wifi))
    This can be done w/ Google Voice and Gizmo via a Data only plan. Google does a URI (from the google voice DID #)for incoming calls to the Gizmo SIP # (no charges) and when the outbound calls are transfered (via the Google Voice app available for Blackberry, Android & Nokia N8XX) to the Gizmo/SIP application. This method would be free (as in beer) voice calls (domestic only) in the U.S. I think the same could be done (w/ a monthly charge) via a Skype DID #, but I don't know if there would be charges incurred.
    I hope all of this is relevant. Cheers.