Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello all. New here, and relatively new to the BB - I use an 8700c ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

leef no está en línea Stack level 1

Third Party Business Apps

Advertisement

Hello all.

New here, and relatively new to the BB - I use an 8700c since December - but hope to get an 8800 er...soon? I am actually a B2B sales guy promoting BB and third party apps for mid-sized and larger Enterprise customers. I thought it would be useful to have a thread about 3rd party BB business apps. So far the company I work for has a number of product offerings through partnerships with the developers of these third party applications. As I call upon customers, many times I get requests for functions and features that our present partner products do not support. I like to be able to go out searching and find a potential supplier - download their app for trial and kick the tires myself [if at all possible].

Anyway - I read and reread the rules and didn't see anything explicitly preventing me from posting about this concept - however, if anyone has an issue, I will forego. I have learned quite a bit from this forum already, and appreciate the opportunity to continue to share and learn.

- lee

likefre no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: Third Party Business Apps

Welcome leef!

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

welcome from me also!
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!

MickPick no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E890D7

Lee,

Are you a CAE? What territory?

-Mickpick

Thanks all. Glad to be here.

I am hooked on the BB - and learn new things about it almost daily. Finding out how to delete an application was an interesting exercise - as well as why I had to continually reset my service books. Learned quite a few things right here on the board.

I have been looking into the BB approved 3rd party apps for Enterprise listed on RIMs website - 381. This is a great resource, because I recently had a request for forms - and now I have found a few possible options. Quite a few of our partners are in the list - but I believe in a 'don't have the solution go get it' sales strategy.

I am also greatly encouraged by the onboard GPS and what can be done with it in terms of apps. Trying to figure out the advantages and angles.

Hi Mickpick - I work for a DSP of Cingular - Saturn Wireless - total NA, however I seem to spend a lot of time working within the ET zone. Just the nature of the beast I guess.

- lee

jocelyn no está en línea Stack level 2

welcome leef. I am on the same side, just different territory, very different country! This thread was much needed. Do you deal with SMB's or with Enterprise?

Hi Jocelyn! Pleasure to meet you! It would be great to share war stories.

We deal with Medium to Enterprise essentially. The small stuff is great of course, but many times it is too time intensive for the ROI. We were recently involved in a deal with a fair sized firm - with no IT department. The project was handed to a non-technical person unfamiliar with the BB. I do not think I would care to ever deal with a company like that ever again.

- lee

I would like to have the opportunity to cover some of the apps. Just perhaps write-up a synopsis of the product, what it does, who it helps, how it interacts with the BB, etc. I would find this helpful for myself personally - don't know if that would be of any value to anyone else...?

For example -

Impatica. Their ShowMate product is an interesting solution for mobile staff that make use of MS PowerPoint for presentations. The software 'crunches' the slides down to a more manageable file size, and lets you put them on your BB. I have the product myself - I didn't notice it lousing up any text or graphics. You can then project the presentation directly from your BB using the ShowMate Bluetooth device - connects to a standard VGA projector. Pretty cool. I remember how impressed I was once the wireless mouse was invented - telling someone 'Next slide' and having them hit the wrong button - or not knowing how to go back a slide - was a real miserable experience. Now with the BB, you can walk around while you are speaking and have full control of the presentation.

Anyone know of a good solution for Forms? I think I may have found one company, but I am interested to know if anyone has experience with an app for forms for the BB.

jocelyn no está en línea Stack level 2

Welcome Leef. My pleasure!

True. Small doesn't justify the ROI at times.

A synopsis is a great idea. A quick search of the forums does throw up a number of real customers feedback and views - but that is too distributed. A consolidated place for reviews/synopsis, that'd be great!

Thanks for the link on Impatica. What kind of Forms app are you looking for? If you could explain a bit, maybe I can give some pointers.

I was once involved with a compay that is one of the big suppliers of DoD. There they wanted to enable field persons manage biz. inquiries - and the eventual solution they purchased was quite different than what I had tried to sell them first. But yeah, good earnings. :J

J.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

Welcome Bud!

Hmmm..just reading about the 8300. Sounds more consumer oriented - with the WiFi that didn't make it for the 8800 and that camera that was rumored.

Thanks Flash24.

Jocelyn - similar on the forms - a firm that does a lot with folks in the field, looking for faster ways to fill out Reqs and fulfill orders. I saw that TeleNav has a new product which appears to include a lot of these features - bundled with the GPS directional stuff. Looks interesting, but I'm leery since the forms aren't the focus.

Another customer has been asking me about an alternative to TeleNav. I see that Google Maps and Blackberry maps have some interesting features - but neither appear to offer the turn-by-turn via audio like TeleNav. Garmin has a solution for the 8700 with a 'puck' - but nothing on the 8800 with the built-in. I sent them an email but haven't heard a peep back yet.

The BB app I am the most impressed for business is Onset Technologies METAmessaging - in particular, their Emergency Communications product. They have productized the PIN-to-PIN functionality of the BB - allowing for an easier management of the system, automating PIN updates, allowing for creation of distribution lists, PIN Blasting, receipt tracking and archiving. They also have the ability to provide for an automatic push of COOP related documentation to the handset, so that in the event of an emergency, all your critical MOP stuff for Disaster Recovery is right there on your BB. The thing I like most about this product is what they have made of the technology itself. While PIN requires a data plan, it doesn't rely on the voice piece like SMS - doesn't matter if the email server is down [hosed by MYDOOM or another such virus], doesn't need the BES or a network server to function. But I expect everyone here already knows that. I found some interesting stuff on PIN related material here in the past.

I am also interested in selling some of the apps for Fleet-type solutions. Anyone have a recommendation? There seems to be a reluctance to equip a driver with a BB - don't know why when they can also use it to communicate and for directions. Plus METAmessaging has a cool Paging app, similar to their EC product.
    Last edited by leef; 03-07-2007 at 07:24 PM.

bbpvpn no está en línea Stack level 2

Hi Leef,

If you’re looking for new potential 3rd party bb software partners, take a look at a company called WICKSoft. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with WICKSoft's newest product offering; PocketVPN.

PocketVPN is an end-to-end remote-connectivity / productivity solution for
    the BlackBerry handheld. It allows BlackBerry users to access files and network shares on their corporate network. Once in, they can view, mail, fax, and manage
    their files and network resources directly from their BlackBerry device.

If anyone would like more details, please feel free to PM me.

Thanks bbpvpn! I will have a look - security is always an issue when approaching an enterprise.

Another interesting application is TeleNav's 'Track.' A relatively new app - bundles in their audible / visual turn-by-turn GPS app with some Fleet-type power. Not yet certified for the 8800, but I believe it's coming soon. Allows you to track staff via the GPS, handle forms, and do wireless barcode scanning. The Fleet features look interesting. Includes tracking, and even verifying for speed limit infractions.

- lee

bbpvpn no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by leef
    Thanks bbpvpn! I will have a look - security is always an issue when approaching an enterprise.
    Hi Lee,

I'm so glad you mentioned that-- I wish more people were talking about security because it's really been such a big concern for us.

Out of the box, PocketVPN doesn't allow anyone to access anything. You install it, everything's working, but the system denies all access attempts. I'm sure we've lost some customers because of this-- they install the product and get an 'access denied' message when they try to login.

That's kind of what it's all about though, right? Security has to be the top priority, especially when talking about mobile enterprise.

We've jumped through so many hoops to create a system that will let IT and legal people lock down their networks and sensitive information. One of the security mechanisms in the product allows you deny access to any network resource you want-- so if you had documents or a server containing information that legally wasn't supposed to leave the building, you could tell PocketVPN to block any and all access attempts to that data. Its so flexible that you could even deny file types if you wanted.

At the end of the day we realize it's all about security, and I think that the feature set we've provided speaks volumes.

Check out the faq at WICKsoft.com or, better yet, download a demo, and see just how serious we are about mobile enterprise security.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast