Hi, I did some light searching and couldn't find what I was looking for. I ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

gbillings no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    301603FD

Thinking about taking up software development for BB's.

Advertisement

Hi,

I did some light searching and couldn't find what I was looking for. I scanned the RIM website and didn't find what I was looking for either.

My questions are:

How nasty is it to make 3rd party programs to run on the BB, specifically 4.2 OS (Pearl)

How tight are the built in app's and data repositories? Specifically, I want to:

- build a new front end for the excuse for a task program using the existing data storage.

- modify the file association type in the email client so that it can call the media player program for .wav file attachments.

I know there is a developer's kit, do I need to program in C++ or what language is preferred?

Thanks.

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Re: Thinking about taking up software development for BB's.

I think the BB is Java, but not sure.

andreybutov no está en línea Stack level 2

My company just released a new product for the BlackBerry (blackberryspamfilter.com), so I can probably shed some light on the situation for you.

Programming is done in Java. Not the full-blown Java JDK as one might be used to -- but not the complete stripped down version as some of the older Java ME SDKs. It's somewhere in the middle. For example, some large-footprint data structures are missing, but most of the things you need are there.

If you are going to support older BlackBerry devices, such as devices with 8 or 12 MB of memory, you will need to use an older BlackBerry API which has no support for floating point numbers (among other things), which means you will either have to implement your own floating point math using fixed integers (like we did), refrain from using floating point calculations altogether, or simply not support older devices.

The main facility for storage takes the form of a Persistent Store -- each piece of data you store on the device will be bound to your application through a unique key (a hex hash of an arbitrary string), and removed once the application is removed. There are other, less popular ways to store data as well.

The runtime model is something you will need to get used to. For example, applications may, or may not be closed -- depending on how a user chooses to 'leave' the application. This can be a little unintuitive at times -- especially if you come from the desktop programming world.

There is some support for dealing with e-mail attachments and extension mapping. There should be a bit of documentation floating around regarding this topic, as many folks seem to be interested in building custom handlers for e-mail attachments (mostly excel and pdf).

One thing to note, is that in order to release any programs you make, you need to purchase licensing keys from RIM. You can test your programs to your heart's content on various emulators, but you cannot install them on any RIM devices without purchasing API signature keys for your company.

- Cheers
    - Andrey
    - antair.com
    Antair BlackBerry Software
    A spam filter for a cleaner inbox, a call screener to block calls, and more great BlackBerry tools.
    www.antair.com

jbj9871 no está en línea Stack level 3

That would be great to have more programs for bb. Thats the good thing about palm and windows mobile countless third party apps both free and commercial.they have been a few nice apps come out lately but nothing like symbian palm and windows .my bb is great stable works very well so I'm not knocking the bb just need more software.

Genaro no está en línea Stack level 2

Start here, a lot of good info once you start looking at all the links and such. Have fun and looking forward to seeing new applications!

gbillings no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    301603FD

Well, no wonder there isn't more 3rd party software, developers have to pay for a code? How crazy is that. Any idea how much it is? I bet it's a zillion dollars...

andreybutov no está en línea Stack level 2

It isn't so much about the cost of code -- the API keys are $100. It's more the lack of technical support (documented or otherwise). If you have a specific development or technical question concerning the API, it'll cost you $249.00 per incident (with incident having a very loose definition).

- Cheers
    - blackberryspamfilter.com
    Antair BlackBerry Software
    A spam filter for a cleaner inbox, a call screener to block calls, and more great BlackBerry tools.
    www.antair.com

danbra no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by jbj9871
    That would be great to have more programs for bb. Thats the good thing about palm and windows mobile countless third party apps both free and commercial.they have been a few nice apps come out lately but nothing like symbian palm and windows .my bb is great stable works very well so I'm not knocking the bb just need more software.
    Jbj, you might be interested then in eOffice which gives you the core functionality of windows, i.e. files and attachments work, spell checking etc.