Question for stackers using telenav...my buddy is trying to install it and upon doing so ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

pmarshall no está en línea Stack Professional

telenav

Advertisement

Question for stackers using telenav...my buddy is trying to install it and upon doing so he noticed that in the requirements section it said something about a bluetooth something for 99$....does he really need it or not? Phone he uses is a curve. Thanks alot!
    HAHA HERO, MY TOUCH

kreesedup no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30bc9b43
    I know it really comes down to the carrier. I've seen other threads people with vzw complaining that the carrier had disabled the internal gps chip set. Limiting them to vznavigator. If you want to give alittle more info somebody might be able to give you carrier specific info. I am pretty familiar with only the sprint side they dont have a curve yet. So, what I know wouldn't apply.
    "This life almost didn't happen"

He uses cingular/att. He used the free trial

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    He uses cingular/att. He used the free trial
    I use AT&T, and a BB 8310. They are in the midst of a price war with many other carriers.
    Previously the service was called Telenav and there were two "plans" one was $5.99 per month for five routes. The second plan was $9.99 for unlimited routes.

Currently they have changed it up. The five route plan is gone, the one and only plan is now called AT&T Navigator.

It's $9.99 per month and AT&T Navigator provides spoken turn by turn GPS driving directions with automatic reroute, full color maps, and real time traffic alerts all on your device.

Just like with the other carriers, the 83xx curve is equipped with the hardware, but the data service to make it function is extra.

A free alternative that I have found very useful and quite accurate is Google Maps. They use the cellular triangulation (location indexing via cell towers) method which does not involve GPS.

So I dunno either lol

Ok so if he wants the telenav for $9.99 a month he doesn't need the blutooth reciever for $99?

pwaugh no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    Ok so if he wants the telenav for $9.99 a month he doesn't need the blutooth reciever for $99?
    NO.

To use TeleNav, you'll need to have a GPS capable phone. You can use your internal GPS (if so equiped) if your carrier has not disabled it (like for some Verizon customers from what I understand). If you either do not have an internal GPS in the phone, or have the issue with the network blocking it, you can purchase a "GPS Puck" that communicates with your Blackberry with Bluetooth. It is generally handy to get the one that attaches to your keychain.

Some people (with money to burn) prefer to get a GPS antenna with Bluetooth that gets installed in their car/truck. It is not necessary, but can give you better reception if you are in an area with poor reception for some reason.

Patrick

Awesome..thanks to everyne who posted for the info..I learned somethn myself!

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    Quote Originally Posted by pwaugh View Post
    NO.

To use TeleNav, you'll need to have a GPS capable phone. You can use your internal GPS (if so equiped) if your carrier has not disabled it (like for some Verizon customers from what I understand). If you either do not have an internal GPS in the phone, or have the issue with the network blocking it, you can purchase a "GPS Puck" that communicates with your Blackberry with Bluetooth. It is generally handy to get the one that attaches to your keychain.

Some people (with money to burn) prefer to get a GPS antenna with Bluetooth that gets installed in their car/truck. It is not necessary, but can give you better reception if you are in an area with poor reception for some reason.

Patrick
    Correct

pmarshall He uses cingular/att. He used the free trial
    If he used the free trial without any bluetooth add-ons he should be alright using the full version. This all comes down to which model BB he has. The 8300 would need the BT antenna, the 8310 would not.