Why can't one of you clever software writers out there come up with a program ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

janiexoxo no está en línea Stack level 1

Somebody needs to write a textblocking program

Advertisement

Why can't one of you clever software writers out there come up with a program that would delet a text message (and e-mails?) before the blackberry user is alerted to its arrival? At least filters can be set up for e-mails - but we are powerless to stop spam texts from hitting our handheld. Some people complain about the 10 cent cost of receiving unwanted messages. Since I have unlimited text messages, I am not really in that boat, but there are a few people who I no longer want to receive text messages from so why can't there be a software program that will delete them before I even see them?? T-mobile users are especially screwed here since other providers will block specific senders (verizon and sprint).

domjon84 no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Somebody needs to write a textblocking program

I agree with you and if I was a programmer I would have come up with this when I was started college when they were really out of hand. However since I am an IT guy I will try to get that problem addresses when I get out of school and into the corporate sector.
    Dominick R. Jones
    ALLTEL
    WC
    Domjon84@yahoo.com

Cracked Out no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Pls!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Because that woud make too much sense. It's just as bad as all of the spam faxes that I receive.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

What "makes sense" is spam filtering before mail arrives on your BB. There are plenty of ways to do this and it works really well. In my case, I'm on hosted BES and have upstream filtering from MXlogic.net that catches nearly everything. Even if hosted BES isn't an option for you, gmail offers excellent spam filtering and integrates really well with BIS.

Spam filtering at the Blackberry isn't the best approach for several reasons. The biggest one being that you're going to waste the BB's already limited processing power on spam filtering.

As for SMS, that's another story...

andreybutov no está en línea Stack level 2

As someone who wrote a spam filter for the BlackBerry, I can perhaps share some insight with you.

Writing an e-mail spam filter for the BlackBerry was ridiculously difficult. This little device is NOT a desktop machine. You may find it easy to use, but it's quite difficult to program for -- it's very, very restrictive.

In the end, we did manage to write a spam filter for the BlackBerry (www.antair.com), but the facilities provided by RIM are simply not sufficient for writing a text-message spam filter.
    Antair BlackBerry Software
    A spam filter for a cleaner inbox, a call screener to block calls, and more great BlackBerry tools.
    www.antair.com

Don LuiG no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask

yeah i could imagine how much of time it would take to even try to come up with something like that.

melerant no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    32C029E1

Quote Originally Posted by janiexoxo
    Why can't one of you clever software writers out there come up with a program that would delet a text message (and e-mails?) before the blackberry user is alerted to its arrival? At least filters can be set up for e-mails - but we are powerless to stop spam texts from hitting our handheld. Some people complain about the 10 cent cost of receiving unwanted messages. Since I have unlimited text messages, I am not really in that boat, but there are a few people who I no longer want to receive text messages from so why can't there be a software program that will delete them before I even see them?? T-mobile users are especially screwed here since other providers will block specific senders (verizon and sprint).
    That would be nice.
    I have not had any success with Sprint blocking specific senders. From what I've been told it's either all or nothing...
    It doesn't affect me either. I have an unlimited plan too.
    Ladies and Gentleman we are floating in space....
    "God didn't do that, you did that you fat @#$%"

poopc4 no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Why you don't just go to the options and block all text messages. That's what I do and I haven't been charged yet.

JDWired no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3156B31E

Aye, I agree, blocking the text is the best way to go.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

_Bulz_Eye_ no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32c2287a

How about a program that sends yor text to a email box. Would you still have to pay for that?

poopc4 no está en línea Stack level 2

The direct to email thing would be a great idea. I saw that some jabber clients also provide a sms transport but I didn't want to risk the charges to my phone bill.

dolphinrich no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3048e0cb

I believe Verizon users, can go to vtext.com and create accounts, then block specific numbers from sending text messages to them. Not sure about other carriers.