View Poll Results: Is non-transferable, PIN specific blackberry software okay?

Voters
149. Register free to vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 18.12%
  • No

122 81.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I just found out that the license I bought to JiveTalk chat is tied to ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

nautis no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs down Software Licenses Tied to Device?

Advertisement

I just found out that the license I bought to JiveTalk chat is tied to my now dead blackberry 8830. Every other software vendor has switched over my licenses without a problem - except for beejive. Has anyone else here ever heard of software that is tied to a specific device ... and that once that device is destroyed the license is expired?

Customer support told me that it was clearly stated when I bought it but I guess I didn't realize it was different that any other software license. It's not a huge deal but I guess I won't be buying JiveTalk again.
    Last edited by nautis; 02-27-2008 at 08:39 AM.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Software Licenses Tied to Device?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ It is clearly stated on their site. Beejive gives you two options, a cheaper device only license or the more expensive user license. If you opt for the device license you will not be able to transfer your app to a new device.

I always like user licenses that travel with me. I change BBs regularly.

If you have the user license it is very easy to remove it from one BB in order to use it on another. One of the best in my opinion, no emails needed.

Ultimatly how to sell the product is up to the owner. There are some that won't transfer at all, or limit the number of transfers.

germy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241bb585

Hey man, PIN me

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

nautis no está en línea Stack level 1

@ melissaox - I see now that the policy is clear. However, is there a precedent for this in the software world? I've never heard of one.

@germy - How do I PIN? Is that the same as private message?

germy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241bb585

Pin me on you BlackBerry. My pin is 241bb585. I have a solution for you

silviajdm no está en línea Stack level 3

+1 on the user license, its more flexible that way anyway. All the software that I purchased on my phone has transferable licences

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ yes there are apps out there that use your device PIN to register and will not be transferable. A lot of times u will not find out until u need to change devices. I try to stay away from these apps. Beejive gives you a choise, which most places do not.

monica.simons no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASKME

so far I haven't run into any problems because most of my apps were free except a few. One of them being JiveTalk, and thanks to my fellow stackers I knew ahead of time about the two different licenses. However I do have to say that I would opt for programs that can be transferred to another device and not locked down to the pin only.
    Providing customers with the latest in news and info along with experienced one on one tech support, training, product sales, exclusive themes and more.

wxboss no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    21DA38F3

IN my experience, PocketDay will work with you if you've upgraded/changed devices.

Using a PIN to validate your device is good business ethics. Keeping it tied to that device without an option to transfer is not something I would not entertain.

ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6

Changing devices is a pain, especially transferring data and reregistering software. The later is why I wrote what is now EZ Reregister. It's available now if anyone wants to take a lookie. Fully functional for 7 days.

ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6

Quote Originally Posted by melissaox View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ .

Ultimatly how to sell the product is up to the owner. There are some that won't transfer at all, or limit the number of transfers.
    I subscribe to Sirius Satellite Radio. The service is available for life for a fee of $450.00 or so. In the "fine print" they tell you that you can only change your receiver a limited number of times. After that, they charge you.

On the Blackberry device, I favor registration based on the PIN number. I'm sure the developer is glad they're somewhat protected from piracy, but mainly I'm glad no one else can use my software/registration code.

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53

I bought the Transfereable version of Jive talk, twice actully, for to diffrant devices. I would rather it be trasferable at a lower price. They could just make it to where the account can only be registered to one PIN number at a time, this would protect them and make it easier on us. But good develpers should be paid for their work. Microsoft doesn't fall in to this catigory. lol
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by nautis View Post
    @ melissaox - I see now that the policy is clear. However, is there a precedent for this in the software world? I've never heard of one.
    How do you think OEM Microsoft operating systems work. If you change too much hardware, you have to call and beg or purchase a new license. For OEM, the license is tied to the "Computer" and they define computer a little differently than many.

However, I don't like software that doesn't give the user the option. Jive talk has always given the option so I'm not really offended with it. Any vendor that doesn't offer a non-device specific license won't get my business.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

ksspring no está en línea Stack level 1
    Is this related to the BB license for Blackberry Enterprise servers? Or just a special app?

I was wondering if the BB licenses could be reassigned to different users or if they were tied to a specific device?

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Quote Originally Posted by nautis View Post

@germy - How do I PIN? Is that the same as private message?
    This practise came about thanks to theft and Microsoft. We don't have to like it, but people like to get paid for their work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast