All beware....I tried simulsays visual voicemail for a month with AT&T and now I have ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

hprevatt no está en línea Stack level 1

SimulSays charges airtime minutes

Advertisement

All beware....I tried simulsays visual voicemail for a month with AT&T and now I have to pay huge overages because it charged airtime when someone left a voicemail and when I dialed in to pick up vm. AT&T said there is nothing they can do because it is not a software that they are partnered with. The software does work as advertised but it does use call forwarding....Hope this helps someone.

PacketRat no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID

Re: SimulSays charges airtime minutes

Intresting information. Thank you for the heads up. I have a conference call with them Tuesday and will be asking about this. I suspect that with normal voicemail the call to VM is free but since the phone is dialing a non at&t number there has to be a charge.
    -------
    PacketRat
    258CDFE8

jeffharris no está en línea Stack level 2

Dudes, of course it uses minutes .. what did you think? Even though it is a 3rd party app, and uses the WORD Voicemail, that somehow calling a 10 digit 3rd party number is gonna be free?

When they get the kinks out of their software app (which there are many), it's going to be really nice ...

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

All these services use your call forwarding minutes. Obviously since they forward calls. I always thought everyone knew. Luckily most voice plans have them already added to them. hprevatt sorry to hear about your overages. You should always keep an I eye on your bill when starting new 3rd party services.

hprevatt no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by jeffharris
    Dudes, of course it uses minutes .. what did you think? Even though it is a 3rd party app, and uses the WORD Voicemail, that somehow calling a 10 digit 3rd party number is gonna be free?

When they get the kinks out of their software app (which there are many), it's going to be really nice ...
    All, I am not complaining about my overage. (That was my mistake) I am just trying to help someone else out that might not know.

SimulSays no está en línea Stack level 1

SimulSays ustilizes the carrier data channel to pull messages to the local client. Should you already have an active data plan (to broswe the web for example) there is no addidional cost.

If you choose to, you may call into the SimulScribe voicemail system and like any call to a voicemail system, minutes will be used. However, since SimulSay downloads the attachment locally, you are able to listen to message without dialing into your voicemail. Did this not work for you?

motogq no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23F635E7

Quote Originally Posted by SimulSays
    SimulSays ustilizes the carrier data channel to pull messages to the local client. Should you already have an active data plan (to broswe the web for example) there is no addidional cost.

If you choose to, you may call into the SimulScribe voicemail system and like any call to a voicemail system, minutes will be used. However, since SimulSay downloads the attachment locally, you are able to listen to message without dialing into your voicemail. Did this not work for you?
    That is true. I've never had to dial my carriers voicemail or Simulsays voicemail because it's already on my phone as a wave/mp3. I just select the play button in the app to listen to the message.

The only charge is when the caller is forwarded to the Simulsays messaging service. AT&T charges for calls to check THIER voicemails anyways so I don't see the difference.

Rico5331 no está en línea Stack level 1

Does Simulsays work on Verizon BB 8830 ? It is included in the compatible handsets list. I am tryin to have my buddy install it on his 8830 to test it out. Futhermore, is it something that Verizon blocks ?

CaCHooKa Man no está en línea Stack level 3

i dont see how the call forwarding would be a problem unless you have a dirt cheap monthly plan with not a lot of minutes or receive hundreds of voicemails a day.

batrad no está en línea Stack level 1

I've been using SimulSays for over months now and never run into airtime issues.

Yes, there is a call charge when someone leaves you a message, but its similar to minutes used while leaving a message on the Carrier's network VM system. You do pay extra for the free M2M calls that get sent to VM as its an outgoing call.

But on the otherhand, retreving VM is free as I just use the Simulsays BB app to view my messages, never dial the VM number

whitemencanjump no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID

I believe that the reason for the overage charges with AT&T is that there is a $0.10/minute charge for call forwarding. When you have a call forwarded to any number other than the voicemailbox number setup initially with your service. Since you have to have calls forwarded to the SimulSays voicemail box, im guessing that is where the charges are coming from.

Also, on a related note...AT&T does charge minutes for calling your OWN AT&T voicemail bax as well...just minutes though. I know it seems insane, but unfortunately its just that way it is...

CaCHooKa Man no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by whitemencanjump
    I believe that the reason for the overage charges with AT&T is that there is a $0.10/minute charge for call forwarding. When you have a call forwarded to any number other than the voicemailbox number setup initially with your service. Since you have to have calls forwarded to the SimulSays voicemail box, im guessing that is where the charges are coming from.

Also, on a related note...AT&T does charge minutes for calling your OWN AT&T voicemail bax as well...just minutes though. I know it seems insane, but unfortunately its just that way it is...
    call forwarding is included for me. it only counts as actual minutes.