Ok first, I have to do this on WAP so there won't be any fancy ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional

Slightly revised SimGuard: anti-thief SMS alerter Review

Advertisement

Ok first, I have to do this on WAP so there won't be any fancy stuff. Just a straight forward review.

SimGuard: anti-thief SMS alerter is an app that will send an email with info that you can present to the authorities and your carrier to (hopefully) either catch the thief or recover your blackberry.

To test this we swapped SIMs between my phone and my girlfriends phones. The application will allow you to register multiple SIM cards in the same device, so if you are someone that swaps SIMs for some reason both can be protected.

The premise is that the first thing a thief will do is insert their SIM and use your blackberry. Now if this does happen, then almost immediately upon booting an SMS is sent to number(s) of your choice. Here is the text that was sent when we tested it:

(Thief phone number here)
    Jay Cooleys BlackBerry has been stolen! IMSI = 310260914745836; IMEI = 358453022174741; Area Code = 37624; Cell ID = 26012

About 5 minutes after this was sent another SMS was sent with the GPS coordinates (or cell I'd if the stolen device doesn't have GPS:

(Thief phone number here)
    Jay Cooleys BlackBerry has been stolen! IMSI = 310260914745836; IMEI = 358453022174741; Area Code = 37624; Cell ID = 26012; Lat = 38.041018; Lng = -78.471464

There is no indication on the stolen berry that these texts have been sent.
    Pretty neat. BUT as I was driving I started thinking, what if etc.
    What if the thief deletes all your apps, what if the thief installs another OS etc?
    Mainly this will be helpful if its a theft of opportunity, joe/jane doe sees your berry and jacks it. Also, if its a different carriers SIM card I don't think your going to get the info unless your berry is unlocked. Keep that in mind and discuss here.

As well I got to thinking about the location SMS. That won't be helpful if the thief isn't at his/her home location.

All in all I'm left feeling a little mixed about the usefulness of this application. As many already know, most carriers won't blacklist an IMEI, so I'm not sure it'll be of any use with them. However, with a little detective work the police can use the info provided to track down the thief, given they'll have their phone number.

I think the application would be more useful if it had the ability to email as well as text. As it is now only SMS can be sent.

The app was $8.99 which includes any updates.
    http://www.mobihand.com/mobile/productMobile.asp?id=23796
    Minimum requirements:

**Operating System
    *** 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.5, 4.6, 4.7

Hope you folks find this useful.

Jay
    Last edited by jfcooley; 04-10-2009 at 09:21 AM.

Forgot to add that the application itself is password protected. So nothing can be changed by an outside party.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

caboose06 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    GoGrEEn!
    but, would if you were to wipe the device using Jl cmdr?
    Last edited by caboose06; 04-09-2009 at 11:07 PM.

No, and that's the biggest achillies heal of this program.

But like I said, seems like most thefts are thefts of opportunity. That being said most thieves will simply steal for themselves. In that case this would seem to fit the bill.

Right now its about the best you can hope for.

I think it would be a bit better if it sent emails as well.

Revised this just a bit.

sooner no está en línea Stack Professional
    Boy, you really done some diggin! Im to the point that RIM needs to fix this problem with the carrier. Th carrier has told me that they will not get involved even with a police report, so whats the use> You want my Berry?, here take it, want my wife too?
    Just kidding. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

iLord is DEAD!

Atleast with this you have the phone number and IMEI number to provide to the police as well as the carrier to hopefully get a positive ID

sooner no está en línea Stack Professional

Thumbs up

So you purchased it, on on a rate of one to ten watchya think?

Now when your phone get stolen and what you think or will work will you please rate it again?

Just trying to see all sides when of the product, before and after.

Good job Jay!

iLord is DEAD!

I think in the event of a theft it'll be helpful, I'd give it about a 7 since odds are the theif will be using it themselves (or at least test it first)

The downside is if they don't, oe wipe the device first, hence the ding for 3.

I hope I never have to test for real, but I feel a bit better knowing I have it.