Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I think this app is kinda cool. Does anyone have any of those little PBG ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

mikegelf no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Shortcut Icons on your BB's screen

Advertisement

I think this app is kinda cool.

Does anyone have any of those little PBG pics to use as icons?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Jdellasala,

Have you even gotten the pics to work urself?

I have not. I've tried loading them on the BB per instructions as well as entering a URL.

Anyone have any success with getting the icons to work?

Really, this program should simply and automatically fetch the standard favicon.ico file already embedded in websites..

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

As noted on the Web Shortcut Page, the utility uses .PNG files which can be stored either on the device itself with a matching name (shortcut1.png for Web Shortcut 1) in the pictures directory of either the device or the SD card, or they can be a URL to a .PNG.

If you save the file to your device, leave the icon field alone - don't put the file name in, it will just give you an error, and if you clear the field, it will just return to http:// anyway.

The easiest way to get an icon is to go to the root of the web site and add favicon.ico to the sites root URL such as http://www.google.com/favicon.ico. This will display the site's icon. Right click on the tiny picture that appears and save it as a file - like google.ico in this case.

As suggested by mikegelf below, you can also convert Icon files to .PNG files on he web (like favicon.ico) or from your machine at the web site: http://converticon.com/[ and download it.

Now open the file in Paint, and use Save As and save it as a PNG (WinXP anyway). Now post it to a web page and use that URL. (You're supposed to be able to save the file locally, but for the current version - 2.1.2 - seems to refuse to use anything but a URL).

[u]Here are samples (URLs of attachments below) and their associated Site URLs:
    You can either save these icons to your computer and copy them to your BlackBerry or SD device with the appropriate name, or just use the URL for the picture (saving the file is faster).

Some of the icons have black backgrounds which should really either be non existent or transparent. I haven't gotten around to fixing them. If you fix them and PM them to me I'll post them here.

Also, I use skweezer.net to make IMDB faster and more usable on the BlackBerry - works very nicely!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jdellasala; 07-11-2007 at 04:55 PM.
    JerryD

barbuser no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Pin Me

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i have my icons stored locally. Had to drag them to my root picture directory using media manager. If you try and save them directly using bb it will save png as jpg. Media manager will let you save to bb as png. It works great, just be sure you name them correctly, shortcut1.png, etc.

Hope that helps!!

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

Sorry for being out of the loop here - jdellasalla has a great process there... but, i literally just did quick google image searches for my icons.

Do make sure you search for png files only though - sift thru the mess and when you see one you like that is about the proper size (the site says what size works but, I have a couple that are a tad bigger that are fine) access it and copy the link u see at the top of the page, into the icon line in that Web Shortcut.

Mine worked fine on the first or second go... I goofed a slash here or a letter there. Just be careful to insert the web pages right -

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

Using google to find a suitable pic is a good idea.

.. but my BB still just hangs when it is trying to download the image..

PIN/ID
    No-More

Hmmm... did you insure it's a .png image? (don't mean to insult u... i goofed on a couple myself doing that)

Also, after a reset the images don't hold, so the first time you access it shortcut again, it's just a globe - not the appropriate icon - when that happens I just hit the shortcut and while it's accessing, I just esc out... then the icon appears okay anyway -

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

Yeah I made sure I was using PBG files...

Er, I mean PNG files.

For some reason my BB kept hanging when trying to download files online..

But loading them up locally on the BB worked. jscottbarnes you were right - the BB wqas renaming the PNG files to JPG. So I just transferred them manually with Media Manager.

I found a great online utility to help. It's:
    http://converticon.com/

It will convert an online ICO file to PNG. So I would just type:
    http://www.ebay.com/favicon.ico
    into it (or whatever website) and it would spit out the PNG file automatically. Cool.

mrfilthy11 no está en línea Stack level 1

how do you drag the png pictures to the root picture directory using media manager?

Quote Originally Posted by mrfilthy11
    how do you drag the png pictures to the root picture directory using media manager?
    This is how the "old" RIM Media Manager works (not the new Roxio one).

When you start Media Manager, the Left window pane will display your hard drive - typically your Desktop or "My Documents". Navigate to the location of your .PNG files.

In the Right window pane, double click on Device Memory (or Media Card if you have one), then double click on BlackBerry and then on pictures. Put the PNG files there.
    JerryD

All - ozrial has posted Theme Builder Goodies 5.0 which is a zip file that has over 300 PNG icons. I was able to use a 64x48 pixel PNG as an icon with Web Shortcuts.

Don't forget to click the on his post if you find them Useful!

The Zip file is here.
    JerryD

Thanks dude. Great idea.

PIN/ID
    No-More

Quote Originally Posted by jdellasala
    All - ozrial has posted Theme Builder Goodies 5.0 which is a zip file that has over 300 PNG icons. I was able to use a 64x48 pixel PNG as an icon with Web Shortcuts.

Don't forget to click the on his post if you find them Useful!

The Zip file is here.
    These are nice - but, which do u find suitable for use with Web Shortcuts??? I access website as was looking more for web logos... see below for a couple I use - like ESPN/USAToday -

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast