I just read about it on the other BB board and downloaded it yesterday. There ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

Need no está en línea Stack level 2

Short review of MapQuest Navigator on my Sprint 7130e

Advertisement

I just read about it on the other BB board and downloaded it yesterday. There is a 90 days free trial for Sprint and Nextel's BB:

http://www.mapquest.com/mobile/

You just enter your phone number and they will text you an OTA link to download. You don't have to enter any personal or billing information to download.

It has voice prompt (but no street names) and works with my Sprint 7130e's internal GPS.

Here is a short review I posted on the other BB forum:
    -----------------
    The first thing I noticed is that the voice is very loud and clear. It is clearer than Telenav. I tried to do a navigate, but I couldn't find a way to preview the turn-by-turn voice prompt. I can see the route and iternary, but no voice prompt preview. Maybe I should read the manual. The other thing I found is that I cannot see the address of the point of interest. I searched for Blockbuster and a bunch of them came out. The only difference I see the distance from origin. It won't let me see the address.

Played with a little yesterday on the way home. It takes a while to fix your location if you are driving on the freeway. The navigate map doesn't show any street names. There are plenty of spaces on the map to display them, but it doesn't. Unlike Telenav, the voice prompt does not pronounce the street names. It just tells you to turn left in 0.2 miles, turn right here, you get the idea...

Another thing I found different than Telenav is that it realized that you went off route very quickly. On Telenav, sometime it took 1/4 to 1/2 mile before it realizes it. With MQ navigator, it started to re-calculate route about 100 to 200 feet after I passed the intersection. On a few occassions, it even told me to do a U turn at the next cross street. The voice prompt said, "It may be safe to do a U turn here" or something similar. I don't remember ever seen Telenav did that.

I still found the lack of addresses showing on the POI search extremely annoying. I was really trying to go to a Blockbuster video, but I have no idea which of the 5 or 6 Blockbusters showing up is the one I want to go to. Is it the 1.3 miles or the 1.4 mile or the 1.5 mile is the one I need to return my movie to? I guess it would be useful if I just want to search for ANY blockbuster.

Update:
    I found out that to get addresses of POIs, I just have to click and select Details. It shows address, phone number, and description of the POI.

Update:
    I tested the MQ navigator some more yesterday and I found out why it offers so many U turns as a direction prompt when you go off the route. It seems like the software does not just download the route alone but also the streets around the route. This is also explained in the user guide which I read yesterday. This is why the re-route is so fast. Whenever I miss a turn, it knows really quick and tries to turn me around without having to download more data. This way, you can still get minor re-route direction even if you don't get any wireless signal out in the middle of somewhere. Where in Telenav, if I miss a turn, it does a full re-route and download data using my current location to recalculate route.

The MQ's way of doing the minor re-route may be a good idea if I am in some place that doesn't get wireless often, but not good for me in LA. What happens to me is that if I purposely go off route to take a short cut, I get about a dozen of U turns prompts trying to get me to turn around at every street. When Telenav did the full reroute, it is smart enough to know that I am running parallel to the freeway, and it will tell me to take the next entrance back to the freeway. It is not the case with MQ navigator. If I exit at Street A and head toward Street B freeway entrance, it will keep trying to turn me around back to Street A to enter the freeway again.

Also there seems to be a side effect of loading the streets around the freeway to do fast re-route. Very often, I would be driving on the freeway 65 to 70 mph and it would, somehow, thinks I teleported to a street next to the freeway. It would try to re-route me back to the freeway. This could be the result of that the freeway was recently expanded and added 2 more lanes, or because GPS data was not very accurate at some places, but it never happened on Telenav. It is very annoying when I am in the middle of the freeway and it tries to tell me to bare left, turn right, make U turn to get back on the freeway every 5 mintues.
    Last edited by Need; 01-10-2007 at 11:18 AM.

originator no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3012482A

Re: Short review of MapQuest Navigator on my Sprint 7130e

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~thanks for the review too bad I can't test it first hand myself.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

pdqgp no está en línea Stack level 2

so it's only a 90 day free trial? maybe I missed all that when I downloaded and installed it?

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

If its still 90 then you are in good shape, usually its only 30 days free.