At the moment I am using Viigo as my RSS Reader however I wanted to ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

londonmandan no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

RSS Readers

Advertisement

At the moment I am using Viigo as my RSS Reader however I wanted to know is there any readers that actually push the feeds live to the handset instead of checking at certain intervals? If there is what would you recommend?

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: RSS Readers

Viigo is the best free reader I've found so far. RSS is not really a "push" operation. Just set Viigo to update every 30 minutes (Options --> Article Settings) which is the shortest setting.
    JerryD

londonmandan no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Yeah I got mine set to 30 but I find it doesn't always update for ages (even when selecting update all) then when I restart the app it updates also sometimes the images don't come thru unless restarted..... Guess I will stick with Viigo.

DaX05 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

~via DaXBerry (wap.pinstack.com)~

You can't go wrong with using Viigo. I have mine setup to update every 2 hours. I think that's pretty reasonable.
    But yeah, I haven't heard of a better RSS Reader than Viigo, for now.

csa819 no está en línea Stack level 2

I like Google Reader... It doesn't "push" anything to your device, but the content is always updated when you login, plus it stays in sync with the feeds on your desktop so you don't have to deal with anything twice. Plus, it's available from google as a "app", which basically gives you an icon on the menu. Works well for me

XLiMBS no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    20F3D846

The BlackBerry has a built in RSS reader that is acessable through the BlackBerry browser, just go to any webpage with an RSS feed on it and select add feed from the menu or type in the URL of any RSS feed and then save it as a bookmark.

The BlackBerry RSS reader also has the option to update at certain intervals, but in my usage, it always updates with the latest feeds when you select the bookmark.

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Just as an FYI - you can set up both Google Reader and My Yahoo (news feeds) on Viigo.

Also, I live & work in NYC and mostly read the feeds in the subway where there is NO signal, so an on line reader is out of the question. But since I leave Viigo always running, I have just about the latest feeds whenever I'm in transit.
    JerryD

Don LuiG no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask

Viigo works pretty good and i really like the tracking options, since i buy stuff online i can keep good track of when the package gets delivered.

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional

Quote Originally Posted by londonmandan View Post

Yeah I got mine set to 30 but I find it doesn't always update for ages (even when selecting update all) then when I restart the app it updates also sometimes the images don't come thru unless restarted..... Guess I will stick with Viigo.

I'm totally hooked on Viigo, perhaps you should update to the latest version, and just to make sure it is all New, uninstall the current version first...

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID

There is no "latest" version. They are waiting till next weekend I think. However, for the last three days I have been unable to update viigo---either one at a time or the update all option.

I LOVE Viigo----just get tired of the hiccups.
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

estuardo4 no está en línea Stack level 2

I hate Viigo's new banner at the top of the screen. It blocks a third of the screen real state. If you want a good, free RSS program (the free edition can have just 10 feeds), try FreeRange. If you want to sync your feeds with your Mac or PC, then try Newsgator Go! that is based on Freerange, but can't load images. But you can have all your feeds listed.

I really want to like Viigo, but I can't stand the banner. If they wanted to push adds, they could have found a better solution.

gb

peterme no está en línea Stack level 3

I spent many weeks with Viigo and NewsGator, among others, and if I can live with only ten feeds, I like FreeRange the most.

estuardo4 no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by peterme View Post
    I spent many weeks with Viigo and NewsGator, among others, and if I can live with only ten feeds, I like FreeRange the most.
    I use my web browser to read my Newsgator feeds, as Newsgator Go! can't display images. And I use FreeRange to read feeds that are not on my Newsgator account.

gb

jsaradhi no está en línea Stack level 3

i used to love viigo, but have been hooked on newsgator for a while now. if you have a lot of feeds then viigo doesn't always update all of them (lately i have been seeing this a lot and it annoys me). u have to select to update that particular channel and even then the updated content depends upon their servers being able to update before u did it...read WirelessVC's post for more info on this: http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...pdating-2.html

i like newsgator because u can organize ur feeds and even though a channel only updates when u select it, it is very fast in updating (usually 1-2 secs) and it gives u more than 5 feeds for that channel unlike viigo which only gives 5 latest feeds! i was hooked on viigo first, but am almost at a point where i am going to uninstall it...i left it on my phone still just coz i dont have a space problem...

i have checked out freerange, however it is decent if u have very few feeds (10 i suppose). i haven't checked out google reader yet, but will try it out soon.
    Last edited by jsaradhi; 02-28-2008 at 11:32 AM.