This thread continuues my "rant" about bplay, from this thread: http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com..._monopoly.html Originally Posted by Plat ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

CybaCowboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21445DCA

Rant - bplay & their "licencing issues"

Advertisement

This thread continuues my "rant" about bplay, from this thread:

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com..._monopoly.html

Quote Originally Posted by Plat View Post
    I did contact bplay, but they told me that due to licensening issues they no longer offered these games.

Quote Originally Posted by CybaCowboy View Post
    I'm starting to become reluctant to shop with bplay - "this product is not available due to licensing issues" is starting to be become a regular thing with them, and I'm not sure if I want to purchase content only to have it unavailable in a few months time when I need to re-install...

I've never had such problems with Microsoft Windows CE and Microsoft Windows Mobile software, yet the un-availability of bplay's content seems to be a regular occurance...

~ Posted wirelessly from my BlackBerry 8800 (http://wap.pinstack.com) ~

Quote Originally Posted by Plat View Post
    I kind of feel it's my own fault. I downloaded it OTA and never went back with my PC to save a copy of the game. I could of kept a copy myself as I keep all my codes. Oh well...

Under later versions of Windows CE and all versions of Windows Mobile, setup files distributed wirelessly are in cabinet (.cab) format, which can be saved to a storage card or other resource for back-up purposes...

Such a feature SHOULD exist by default for BlackBerry OS - Microsoft understood nearly ten years ago that a large percentage of device users don't own a computer, yet Research in Motion (RIM) have not yet figured this out?

Anyway, that's a BlackBerry flaw, which is a whole different issue - the fact is, all of the companies I've delt with for Windows CE/Windows Mobile software over the years (and that's a LOT of companies) have kept copies of their software or archived the software for titles that are no longer available, so that previous customers can request the software again...

In the extremely rare cases where companies have lost the licencing rights to sell a particular piece of software, they have kept an archived copy for PREVIOUS customers - in other words, they would ONLY make this software available to customers who had purchased it BEFORE they lost their licencing rights.

Only once have I not been able to re-download Windows CE/Windows Mobile software that a company has lost the licence rights to.

Which brings me to my issue - the various BlackBerry forums seem to suggest that bplay loose the licence rights to a number of software titles on a somewhat regular basis...

Why should I deal with them if they can't guarantee me that my purchase it in fact just that?

They may as well tell me I'm "leasing" the software until they "loose the licence rights"!

The other thing you've gotta ask yourself is WHY do they keep loosing the licence rights to their software?

Companies don't just "loose the licencing rights", there's a reason for it and if it's happening 2-3+ times a year, you've really gotta wonder why...

~ Posted wirelessly from my BlackBerry 8800 (http://wap.pinstack.com) ~

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I'm glad that I have a PC and have learned how to save a backup copy of my OTA 3rd party games and themes, otherwise I would not buy from them either.......I don't know what their issues are....but they better get their act together or they will lose a lot of customers....and on sites like this, the word spreads rapidly..............
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

NightFire no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Wheel
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I have a copy of Monopoly Tycoon 2007 on my 7290. When I switched to my 8310, the program was installed on my BB, but I was never able to reactivate it. And it, too, is no longer available. Annoyed, I've since deleted it from my Curve. I'm hoping since I still have the program on my 7290 that I can find a way to reinstall and activate it.

Plat no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by NightFire View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I have a copy of Monopoly Tycoon 2007 on my 7290. When I switched to my 8310, the program was installed on my BB, but I was never able to reactivate it. And it, too, is no longer available. Annoyed, I've since deleted it from my Curve. I'm hoping since I still have the program on my 7290 that I can find a way to reinstall and activate it.

If you still have the zip files with the game, you can email them your old pin and activation code with your new pin and they will send you a new code. They are very good at that, which is something.

Cheers,
    Plat