Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Someone has to come up with a program to do this! Right now on CDMA ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

M.J.H. no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Program to Allow Verizon BB Users to Send 160+ Character SMS Messages?

Advertisement

Someone has to come up with a program to do this! Right now on CDMA users when we send SMS messages instead of it going over the 2nd page and sending a second text message instead it stops it at 160 characters. VERY ANNOYING!

Anyone thinking about coming out with this?

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro
    First, what language is the device using.

Second, on the device, go to Options --> SMS, and make sure Data Coding is set to 7 bit. If it's set to UCS2 you SMS messages can only be 70 characters instead of 160.
    JerryD

Huh for Verizon I thought this wasn't an option to change?

The device is using English? If that's what you're asking?

I'm trying to send SMS messages LONGER than 160 characters, not sure what you're saying bro, sorry.

bryce011 no está en línea Stack level 1
    please someone find a solution to this problem,
    its really starting to bother me .
    just something that automatically starts a new message, thats all i ask .

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro
    The SMS standard allows for only 160 characters (or more accurately 1120 bits) per message. This is a global standard and has nothing to do with your BlackBerry or your provider. If you use USC2 coding, the characters are double bytes (16 bits), so you end up with 70 characters (16*70 = 1120 bits) instead of 160 characters (7*160 = 1120 bits).

This is also why I asked what language your device was using. Some languages must use 16 bit characters, and therefore can only allow 70 characters per SMS message.

It appears that, depending on your provider, your BlackBerry may allow you to compose up to six 160 character SMS messages as a single message and break it up automatically. If your provider allows for this, you'll see the Character Count of the message you're sending, then a slash (/) then X of 6 where X indicates the number of SMS messages your message will be sent as. However, in other threads, as I mentioned, it appears that some providers allow this "ganging" of messages, while others don't.
    Last edited by jdellasala; 07-06-2008 at 05:54 AM.
    JerryD

kieranwest no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me:)
    Jdellasala very good explanation on how SMS works You caught all the levels I was wanting to address but didn't have the time or alertness to type up at 2:25am. I think one possible solution could possibly be the threaded SMS beta out

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...d.php?p=797247
    I guess its worth a try.

GeneKam no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    232D8D38
    i dont think you guys get the question. Back with gsm berry, when you are typing an sms, after 160 characters it would auto start a new sms. So what would happen is while your typing your sms, it would prolong it up to 6 separate sms. so as soon as you hit send, it would send first sms then second then thirdand so on. So what happens really is you are still sending sperate 160 character texts, but when you type it seems like its just one massive log. GSM devies have it, as far as i see it cdma dont, no idea why, it still sends the text seperatly one after another in 160 character peaces a text. Im with telus and i am also missing this feature.
    "Drive by tornado-kicking, boy, i wish i could see that" - Yaku
    "Yeah! It was epic" - Gene

Sam123gil no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    A.S.K.
    I have a feature that i use very often. I use MMS as a way to get around the 160 text limit. You can text all you want up to 1000 characters. Try it you might like it.

kieranwest no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me:)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneKam View Post
    i dont think you guys get the question. Back with gsm berry, when you are typing an sms, after 160 characters it would auto start a new sms. So what would happen is while your typing your sms, it would prolong it up to 6 separate sms. so as soon as you hit send, it would send first sms then second then thirdand so on. So what happens really is you are still sending sperate 160 character texts, but when you type it seems like its just one massive log. GSM devies have it, as far as i see it cdma dont, no idea why, it still sends the text seperatly one after another in 160 character peaces a text. Im with telus and i am also missing this feature.
    This has already been addressed and I assure you we FULLY understand please see below. It would be easy for someone to write a third party utility for this but I think threaded sms would be a simple workaround

Quote Originally Posted by jdellasala View Post
    It appears that, depending on your provider, your BlackBerry may allow you to compose up to six 160 character SMS messages as a single message and break it up automatically. If your provider allows for this, you'll see the Character Count of the message you're sending, then a slash (/) then X of 6 where X indicates the number of SMS messages your message will be sent as. However, in other threads, as I mentioned, it appears that some providers allow this "ganging" of messages, while others don't.

GeneKam no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    232D8D38
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Telus does not offer mms, so this is not a reasonable solution for me.

bryce011 no está en línea Stack level 1
    threaded sms doesnt work for cdma phones .

GrandMasterB no está en línea Stack level 2
    The 160 character limit on my 8330 (Verizon) has been a HUGE problem for me.Verizon allows EMS on most of their phones in the past but have disabled that feature on the BlackBerry's. Just thought I would point out to us Verizon users that if you use the Threaded SMS beta found her on Pinstack it allows you to exceed 160 characters and then breaks it into multiple sms when sent. I know it is not quite the EMS we were used to , but its a damn good start.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

visortgw no está en línea Stack level 3
    Have you tried e-mail to SMS, or is that restricted, too? I found that I can receive MMS messages (e.g., pics) from my daughter if she e-mails them to me rather than sending via SMS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast