Is anyone using the Opera Mini or Opera Mini 5 beta on a 8900? I ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

btompkins0112 no está en línea Stack level 3

Opera Mini vs. Opera Mini 5 beta

Advertisement

Is anyone using the Opera Mini or Opera Mini 5 beta on a 8900?

I am using both to try to see which one I like best......5 beta seems slower than Mini, but I was thinking that it might be due to compatibility issues with the os, since I run 5.0.

Does anybody have this on 4.6? If so, which do you think works better?

s4berry no está en línea Stack level 3
    I have both on OS 4.6.1.250 but don't use either too often. But I just tried both to surf facebook, and I don't necessarily see a significant difference in speed.

For me, both operas have certain quirks I don't like. I normally use either the BB or Bolt browser.

javatyger no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    U5W15H
    I'm on 4.6.1.250 with Rogers, and have been using Opera Mini and 5 beta for a long time now as my alternate brower. IMO, 5 beta is a welcome upgrade, as it seems to be faster, nicer look with addition of the actual speed-dial page, and definitely love having tabs. But my main issue with it right now is it makes itself the default browser when clicking links. The links in your email still default to the BB browser, but other links from UberTwitter or other apps default to Opera. Damn annoying.

I'm not a fan of the Bolt browser, font/type is too small, and IMO, slower. Also I do my banking online and Opera works perfectly for it, while Bolt seems to have rendering issues or something because my bank's website doesn't like it.

Opera Mini I'd stay with if you don't want your default browser been changed for links. But Opera Mini 5 beta is definitely a good alternate browser.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Very nice review javatyger. I'm 1000000000% fan of opera mini. I can't believe people still use bb browser or bolt for that matter. But hey to each its own . Great review once again.
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

wheelz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask4pin
    I agree with you javatyger its annoying that the beta makes it self the default browser. I went back to opera mini 4.x. Nice review very accurate

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Tabs are very important for me. I understand that a BB won't have the memory to open over 10 tabs like I sometimes do on Chrome but there are so many times when I could just use 1 extra tab, to quickly check something perhaps.

Opera Mini Beta 5 should, like most PC browsers do, during install ask if we want it to be the default browser. Hey its in beta though so still time for improvement.

javatyger no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    U5W15H
    Thanks Raton and Wheelz! I appreciate the kind words.
    My Smartphone History - 7130e -> 8130 Pearl -> 8330 Curve -> iPhone 3G -> Javelin(Curve 8900)