Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Originally Posted by camshafter ok thanks JB...look forward to your findings Nothing tangible yet, Cam, ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by camshafter View Post
    ok thanks JB...look forward to your findings
    Nothing tangible yet, Cam, but FYI I heard back from them yesterday. They had a few questions about how I used it, etc. I gave them the answers.

Also, when I got home yesterday I tried it again and had the same failure as when I way away. It's such a puzzle! As I said, when I used this before it almost ran itself and was VERY easy to use. (I know a few Pinstack had trouble making it work but I don't think it was very many.)

Hang in there - I'll post back when I know something else.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    I purchased TetherBerry around the same time as JB. When it works, it works well. Yes, you don't want to be doing any heavy web surfing or sending ginormous e-mails since the bandwidth is pretty narrow, but it does quite well for what it is.

I had a lot of trouble actually getting connected. It would send packets and data, but wouldn't receive. While it said it was connected, it really wasn't because I was unable to do anything. I have to say though that for the last week, I connect first time every time, so for now I'm pretty happy with it. When I was having my connection issues, however, I found the company extremely unresponsive. I sent e-mails, I posted on their forums, I went through their technical support system and never received a reply. When you pay 40.00 for an application you should expect and RECEIVE better treatment.

Again, it has been working very well for me this past week, so if it continues this way, I'd say it's worth the price, especially if you can get a free copy.

Roger, if you ever have a problem I'd try contacting them again. I sent them an email (support@tetherberry.com) and heard back later the same day - Sunday. I answered yesterday morning. We'll see how they respond to that.

I'm just so disappointed AND surprised that I have had any problems - it was so easy when I first tried it. I know Azstar had trouble with it too though and she and I are the same devices and carrier - go figure!
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I was able to run it OK, but just found it to be too slow. Normal tethering was faster for me.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    I was able to run it OK, but just found it to be too slow. Normal tethering was faster for me.
    Thanks, Az. I'm remembering wrong. I thought you had a problem getting it to run at all. My problem wasn't getting it to connect at all either. It's just that every page gave me an 'not available" msg or an error. I got nothing!

That kinda sounds like the problem I was experience, JB. It would SEND packets/data and would indicate that I had an internet connection, but the RECEIPT of said packets/data would be little to none and I therefore could not actually do anything......no page loads, no sending or receiving of e-mails, etc. I'll bet that's what's happening with you.

They do suggest you enable mass storage mode and turn off any other network adaptors that you might have running on your PC/laptop. I've been enable mass storage mode, but have not turned off any network adaptors and as I said above, it's connecting and running smoothly for a good week now.

When I was testing "on the road" there was no wireless available but I didn't disconnect or disable anything - when I got home an tested again I disabled my wireless connection before ever executing the ap. If I have to through actually stopping the (built-in) wireless router - I'm using an Intel PROset/wireless adapter - that would be a little much. Also I haven't enabled mass storage mode but I didn't do it when it worked before either - I guess I could try that.

At this point I think I'll wait to see what, if any, suggestions I get from support and go from there.

I need this ap so seldom but when I need it I want it to work and I DON'T want to have to remember to do a bunch of steps.

In my testing I started the p-c 1st, started the BB 1st, started either with BB disconnected or connected - in every case Tetherberry worked without a hitch as soon as both were started and the BB was connected. I thought it couldn't be easier - shoot me in the head.

camshafter no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask
    great info..thanks for this JB..will keep watching

camshafter

Small update just to let you know that I'm still in contact with Tetherberry. Latest is that the support rep has asked for suggestions from one of their engineers. Nothing back from him yet. Hangin' in....

Here's my latest:

After being in touch with a Tetherberry engineer I have confirmed that before executing Tetherberry you should disable/disconnect your wireless adapter. Otherwise the program COULD attempt to send packets over your (existing) adapter.

I didn't do that originally when testing and it worked fine but that's the official procedure.

NOW THE Murphy's Law: WOULDN'T YOU KNOW that when I was about to perform a test using all the right method, which incidentally I HAD been doing in the last 2-3 attempts, the program worked like a charm! I communicated that fact to the engineer and he said that when I had a problem I could simply report it to him this way:

1 - go into a command prompt and key: ipconfig /all > tetherberry.txt (there are spaces where it looks like it.) Then send that file to support. The file will be in your home directory- on XP it would be "c:\Documents and Settings\Username" and in Vista it would be "c:\Users\Username" where Username is your username on your P-C.

2 - the other thing they'll be interested to know is whether or not packets are actually being sent - that info is found in the ThetherBerry window on the P-C, in the field that shows the number of packets sent - it will say 0 if nothing is being sent.

I hope that helps some - I still have a lot of faith in Tetherberry. Now, until the ap fails again I don't have anything to report. I'll test from time to time and report back if I have problems.

To Camshafter and others: These guys don't have a trial period as such, but they do have a 30-day money back guarantee. If you're interested I'd give it a shot, work it over heavily to see if you have a use for it and decide for yourself. Good luck.

Great info, JB. Your item #2 was kind of the issue I was having and reported to them through various means. The difference in my case is that I would launch the app and it would SEND plenty of packets and data, but would not RECEIVE, or the pipe would be too narrow and the info would trickle in. Wonder why they wouldn't want to know that as well.

As I said, though, (and I hope I don't jinx myself here!) it has been working flawlessly for a couple of weeks now.

Just FYI, I NEVER disable the network adaptors, but ALWAYS enable mass storage mode, which I have set to PROMPT on my device.

Cheers,
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    Great info, JB. Your item #2 was kind of the issue I was having and reported to them through various means. The difference in my case is that I would launch the app and it would SEND plenty of packets and data, but would not RECEIVE, or the pipe would be too narrow and the info would trickle in. Wonder why they wouldn't want to know that as well.

As I said, though, (and I hope I don't jinx myself here!) it has been working flawlessly for a couple of weeks now.

Just FYI, I NEVER disable the network adaptors, but ALWAYS enable mass storage mode, which I have set to PROMPT on my device.

Cheers,
    Roger
    Thanks, Roger. They probably would want to know about packets sent both ways - that info is certainly good to have. I think he asked me if mine was sending simply to see if I had ANY kind of connection.

As I said, I hadn't been disabling the adapter either until he suggested doing it and, at your suggestion, I set to Mass Storage mode on several tests - it didn't do any good - it didn't work for me...until this morning.

ajaxn2 no está en línea Stack level 2
    East texas is something! we dont have high speed for home pcs in all places and most companies arent expanding out. I tether my 9000 to my laptop and works like a champ!

camshafter no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask
    well this is some good stuff...with everything said i might just wait..thanks again

camshafter

Ajaxn2, where are you in E Texas. I'm pretty familiar with all of E Texas.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~
    UPDATE: I'm just curious about the general area - no need to be specific if you don't want to. I grew up in the E Texas oil field and Henderson area.
    Last edited by jblackfish; 05-29-2009 at 08:39 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast