Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before but there are so many threads on Opera ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

a000op no está en línea Stack level 1

APN settings & 3rd party BB apps

Advertisement

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before but there are so many threads on Opera Mini settings and I've had no joy searching...

Opera Mini works fine on my Pearl using the following settings:

APN: mobile.o2.co.uk
    Username for APN: (leave blank)
    Password for APN: (leave blank)

However looking at my bill from o2 the other day (I must admit I rarely do this!) I noticed I was being charged for certain data access (I shouldn't be as I pay for an 'unlimited' data package).

I queried this with o2 who informed me that it was because of the above settings and that I should have Blackberry's carrier settings entered rather than o2's. Is this correct?

They didn't have Blackberry's settings so I have avoided using Opera Mini since then (although o2 did refund me the charges - nice Customer Services!)

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
    Last edited by a000op; 01-11-2008 at 08:00 AM. Reason: clearer title

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53

Re: New question about carrier settings & Opera Mini

Sounds Like thier "Unlimited" is Unlimited in name only. the server for rim is blackberry.net But in the US, for T-Mobile for example, the standard for access is the carriers APN such as wap.voicestream.com
    So it sounds like you may need a differnt person from your carrier to get the correct answer.
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

vince1 no está en línea Community Pro
    PIN/ID
    Stack

I have had the same issue with 02 in Ireland. So if I enter blackberry.net and leave the name and password blank it will then go through rims servers?
    I loved opera and really want to have it back
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    Stack

Tried the blackberry.net and just get the usual failed to connect settings.
    Even tried wap.blackberry.net and to no avail.
    Does anyone know what are the APN settings for rims servers as this is the only way I can get opera to work ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

perplex no está en línea Stack level 1

I'm in the same situation. I think the unlimited package is only unlimited if you use the Blackberry Browser, as that requires no APN settings, so I assume uses the blackberry APN? servers. Unless there's a blackberry APN which we can type into settings. Otherwise I think it's the service book that tells the Blackberry Browser the settings, which won't apply for 3rd party applications.

However I think Jivetalk somehow is able to use the blackberry plan as I didn't have to input any APN settings and it just works. Therefore is free to be connected on msn 24/7.. I'm hoping

PIN/ID
    Stack

You are right about jivetalk. I have yahoo, Viigo and google maps which go through the rim so no extra charge.

Its annoying cause having used opera its great but the bills aren't

perplex no está en línea Stack level 1

Yeah, the funny thing is.. Opera seemed to work for a one or two days with some O2 APN settings, but then stopped. Good job I guess :P, oh well I'd only browse to check news anyway and the Blackberry Browser should be OK.

I love Jivetalk though, I think I'll have to buy it. Only Ł10 or so.

mayor no está en línea Stack level 1

Now Its Free !

i JUST spoke to O2 customer service and they say that as of FEB 2008 they INCLUDE O2 ACTIVE data in the unlimited plan ....... i was rather surprised.... and somewhat naffed off since there was no mention to me at anytime.... i stumbled acroos this when i was trying to proove to a friend that the wap and o2 active data was over and above the Blackberry unlimited package and that O2 wouldin fact charge for this.

so please check with O2 again...good luck

hope this helps

regards

ps yo would have thought that RIM would IMPROVE their browser :-))
    Last edited by mayor; 03-22-2008 at 02:32 PM.

mayor no está en línea Stack level 1

weel its free WITHIN the 200mb fiar use policy and you pay a fixed monthly fee !

2. BlackBerry Internet Solution Unlimited Fair Usage Policy A fair usage policy applies and average monthly usage of BlackBerry and O2 Active/WAP data by any BlackBerry SIM Card connected to a BlackBerry Internet Solution from O2 Unlimited tariff is expected to be below 200MB. Excessive usage volume, determined at O2's discretion, acting reasonably, will constitute abuse. O2 reserves the right to monitor usage, to apply additional Charges or to withdraw the BlackBerry Internet Solution from O2 Unlimited tariff from any individual BlackBerry SIM Card, or all BlackBerry SIM Cards contracted to a Customer at any time in the case of overuse or abuse of the tariff.

The monthly charge excludes O2 Mobile Web browsing which is used to browse the Internet on some on non RIM manufactured (BlackBerry Connect™) devices and also applies if you use your BlackBerry enabled SIM as a modem. You will lose any inclusive data allowance you have with your O2 voice tariff when you add on a BlackBerry tariff. Different rates apply for data roaming see www.my-blackberryfromo2.com/tariffs_businesses.asp. Access to data services is subject to network coverage. Integration of email accounts with the BlackBerry Internet Solution is subject to your email service provider and/or company IT infrastructure and policy. The RIM and BlackBerry family of related marks, images and symbols are registered and/or unregistered trade marks of Research In Motion Limited - used by permission

Nice detective work Mayor!

However...

Just spoke to o2 who advised that, when accessing the web, any 3rd party application has to choose between using WAP or o2's "Mobile Web" service and will normally select the strongest signal.

They advised that, as Mobile Web normally has the stronger signal but isn't included in the o2's unlimited package, this will still be chargable.

I asked them if they were aware of a way to force a BB to choose WAP but they said they weren't. Obviously they weren't able to comment on the ability of any 3rd party apps to choose WAP.

Anyone got any ideas (or thinks this is BS)?

Bluebell Wood no está en línea Stack level 3

There is not a lot we can do about it as to my knowledge there are no APN settings for BlackBerry. For the life of me I don't understand why 02 cannot let us use the mobileweb settings as part of our 200mb allowance! I mean data is data choose how it gets to the BB.

As they only recently included 02 wap as part of the 200mb allowance perhaps it will not be long before mobileweb charges will be included too (hopefully).

BTW rim allows jivetalk and other 3rd party apps access via blackberry.net but not opera mini.

I've seen references made online to "wap.o2.co.uk" as an APN setting (rather than the "mobile.o2.co.uk" I used to use. I'm guessing, as it hasn't been offered as a solution before, this won't force Opera to use WAP?

What are the differences between WAP and Mobile Web (apart from the allegedly stronger signal)?

The 02 wap is essentially an internet service made for mobiles & mobile web gives full internet access which is why OperaMini works with it. Mobileweb can also be used for tethering I think but just imagine the cost!!

This is just my opinion & I could be wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast