We all should know by now that nav4all was shut down a few weeks ago ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

Instrumentality no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    22C7107B

nav4all is dead. Long live.... what, exactly?

Advertisement

We all should know by now that nav4all was shut down a few weeks ago when Navteq decided to stop sharing data the program needs to work.

I loved the program, as it had voice directions, and one huge arrow, so you could glance at it while driving without running off the road in between those voice commands.

Is there anything out there to fill its shoes that is free? I can afford to buy something, but I'm against it on principle. We already had something great for free, and I don't really need a full-color 3D map that will just make it hard to see what I actually care about. I can't be bothered to look at all that while driving, and everyone else on the road should be thanking me for that. :-) Everything else I've found is usually "free" by virtue of a free trial, and even most paid stuff I've found doesn't seem that compelling. Again, I loved nav4all precisely for its stripped-down look; I'm not a minimalist, but simple is good while you're driving.

Any ideas? amAze seems like the closest I've found, but you have to pay for extra features like voice, and it still looks a bit hard to read while driving. That, and I tried an earlier version of it on my 8800, and it seemed to take 20 minutes to start up, let alone accquire a GPS fix.

smooth10 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    amAze is the closest thing to nav4all, but what's wrong with good old Google Maps? It's free and it does the trick.

BestWitted no está en línea Stack level 7
    I use Google Maps frequently in conjunction with my Garmin Nuvi 750.....the GM app appears to do a better job of routing (most of the time) than the Garmin.....a quasi reality check for directions.....
    "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
    Enjoying life in Lehi, UT with my BB 9780 on ATT

Instrumentality no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    22C7107B
    The only two problems with Google Maps are that it doesn't give voice directions, and its way too hard to glance at while driving. If you have someone riding shotgun who can have their nose buried in it, that's fine.

If Google would address those two things, I think Garmin and Tom Tom stock would take a nosedive as everyone would now be using their phone. If I'm on foot in the city, Google maps is great though.