I have tried just about every IM program out there and thought of a question ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

rkkeller no está en línea Stack level 3

Question Multi Provider IM program question.

Advertisement

I have tried just about every IM program out there and thought of a question I cant figure out.

Why do the IM programs (IM+, WM, JT, etc....) that support multiple providers active at the same time need to go through a server and cant connect to each service directly like the single IM programs do ?

I can start multiple IM programs all at the same time, Ramble for AIM, RIM GoogleTalk and RIM Yahoo and they connect directly to the providers they are just not all on a single screen like the Multi IM programs.

How come no multi provider IM program can work this way ? Just seems if they could its one less thing to go wrong and the companies would not have to pay for servers/electric/maintenance, etc... so cost to them could be much less.

Rich

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

Re: Multi Provider IM program question.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~im guessing because if its all on once screen at once it's more user friendly. You don't need to go on different screens everytime u want to use AIM or googletalk etc..

3mkharris no está en línea Stack level 1

Yesterday JiveTalk Beta Re-Opened For More Users.

Send email to support@beejive.com if you're interested.

JiveTalk is a free multi-protocol Instant Messaging client that supports AIM, GTalk, ICQ, Jabber, MSN, and Yahoo Messenger.

JiveTalk is completely free, all you need is web and java enabled phone.
    AT&T 8310 | OS 4.2.2.170(312) | DM 4.2.0.10 | BES / BIS | PIN 2444b8a3

kyububba no está en línea Stack level 2

Rich,
    I'm not certain that the BB IM clients for GTalk and Yahoo do connect directly to the IM servers, perhaps they do. In any case, they would still have to go through your BES/BIS somewhere...

I can't speak for the other guys, but I can explain why JiveTalk uses a server.

There are 2 primary reasons.

1. It's actually pretty complicated to make a reliable direct connection to an IM provider. All of these IM protocols are pretty much assuming a reliable TCP connection, any hint of trouble and your connection gets dropped. So you would have to build in some fairly sophisticated retry logic to make this work, and since each protocol is somewhat different, you would have to do this x times for x providers. With a server and it's reliable networking to the IM servers, we can pretty much assume the connection will stay up on that end (just like your desktop IM client connection stays up). We use our own protocol between the client and our server, which is designed with the non-stable wireless environment in mind. So this is actually the main reason JiveTalk can stay connected for so long. From our experience, unless you're out of coverage for hours (or on a call for hours), you'll stay on indefinitely unless we have a server bounce (which should no longer effect the connectivity after 0.5.20), or there is a problem with the carrier APN (which we've experienced quite a bit, unfortunately).

2. There are limits to the size of a client program you can have on many devices. This is less of an issue with the newer BBs, but with some not so old Java phones, you're limited to 100k program size. Since each service uses a different protocol, you need different code for each, so the code size grows at fast with each additional service. We don't have this problem with a server solution. The client on the phone only needs to talk one protocol to the server, and the server can grow as much as required.

That said, unlike some other multi-client applications, we don't store any of your account information (userid/password), etc. on our server, they're only stored locally on your phone.

Kai

jlesh no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D95340

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~If I understand your complaint correctly, I think Verichat will work best for you. Its not free but supports all popular I'm clients such as AIM, Yahoo! IM, MSN Messenger, ICQ, and GoogleTalk, and all your buddy lists are compiled together on one list with the appropriate icon next to each screen name. Hope this helps!

DrWoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D11279

Isn't verichat dead now?

Dr. Woo

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

JiveTalk should fit your needs

YAY my 1000th post!!! What do I get?? A new BB? lol

keyframe no está en línea Stack level 1

I thought they pulled the plug on JiveTalk Beta.... guess not.

staplesking no está en línea Stack level 1

is there an AIM app? i.e. none of the other programs - just AIM?

br0nx finest no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by staplesking
    is there an AIM app? i.e. none of the other programs - just AIM?
    Ramble is more than adequate for my needs.

peguero no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID

Only thing I experienced with Ramble that was a problem was the constant logging out, even when I was moving around, Ramble would just quit.

JiveTalk so far has been really good.

JiveTalk is like the "Jennifer Hudson" of the BB IM Chat apps. Just came from no where...taking top spots in terms of quality and support- lol

ryfoster no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

I would go with JiveTalk all the way...

Just e-mail support@beejive.com and they'll get you in on the beta (as long as its still opened).

I've used it for a couple of weeks now and love it and they're always quick to fix bugs and make improvements
    ---
    R. Foster (2 Timothy 2:15)

christij no está en línea Stack level 1

I use it on the train occasionally and with (small) tunnels and dead spots it seems to deal with it all just fine as far as maintaining the connection.

TMOLydia no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E73420

Quote Originally Posted by peguero
    Only thing I experienced with Ramble that was a problem was the constant logging out, even when I was moving around, Ramble would just quit.

JiveTalk so far has been really good.

JiveTalk is like the "Jennifer Hudson" of the BB IM Chat apps. Just came from no where...taking top spots in terms of quality and support- lol
    I totally agree here. I had Ramble before I found out about Jive Talk..I deleted Ramble due to constant logging off without warning and also lack of space on my phone