Hey folks. If you stackers don't know me well, I've been doing recent reviews for ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

demonpkr no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    301BBC23

Metal Gear Blackberry review coming soon*

Advertisement

Hey folks. If you stackers don't know me well, I've been doing recent reviews for blackerry games. My last review was Street Fighter 2 CE, and this afternoon (between 4 and 5 pacific time) I will post my review on Metal Gear for blackberry. Hold on tight, it'll be here son enough!
    (Metal gear is for purchase on handmark pocket express for 9.99 canadian. This is NOT metal gear solid, but in fact metal gear that was made for the NES and MSX)

So here's the review!
    The game controls alright. I mean, it's definately an improvement over what it could have been, and if it were on a simple numeric pad it would be awkward.
    So:
    U-up
    H-left
    N-down
    L-right
    J-attack

Now it seems like it's going to be weird, but it actually works nice to have a one thumb control scheme. The odd part is is that J is the action button, and to switch it between punching and using a weapon you have to not only select the weapon but go to the pause menu and make it say action-weapon. It's odd, but it at least works.

There is a save function as well which is definitely something that was needed to be put in. I couldn't imagine playing it all on one sit though. It is a little clunky though when trying to exit the game because it does take a little bit to do. Those who are impatient will pick away at that aspect of the game.

The graphics are nice, they stay true to the original game without messing it up at all. If you've seen the original game you'll know what it looks like. If you have a wider screen there will be bars on the left and right side of the screen to keep it all in an even box shape.

The sound is awesome! Truly a beautiful port! Sounds just like the 8-bit music from the original game. It can be a little quiet though, so if you really want to hear it just plug it headphones(?) and listen to it that way.

What else is there to say, if you don't own the original metal gear, pick it up! It's a nice on the go game and was ported well. I do believe that on a newer blackberry it would run smoother. I do not know if there is trackball support. For 10 bucks canadian, what could go wrong.

Now, I'm back to my sneaking mission.

-Jeff out
    Last edited by demonpkr; 09-01-2008 at 08:48 PM. Reason: added the review in

joeperrin212 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    245DA445
    Oh can't wait! I love metal gear!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

demonpkr no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    301BBC23

Sorry for the tardiness

Sorry the review was late, but here it is at last! Hope you like it!
    I want to buy more games and do more reviews, I find it fun! Feel free to PM me or add my pin to bberry messenger or whatever, shout out some ideas. I'd love to help review stuff on pinstack for you stackers!