Hello folks, I've been a BB user for a long time now, but it's been ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

captain_tinker no está en línea Stack level 2

Looking to sync two blackberries' calendars wirelessly, is this possible?

Advertisement

Hello folks,
    I've been a BB user for a long time now, but it's been a very long time since I've had a data plan, and my wife has never had a data plan for her BB. We are finally getting some new phones, and getting a data plan too, so I'm wanting to mess around with it and try to accomplish something we've not been able to before.

Normally, to sync the calendars between my phone and my wife's phone, we have set up Outlook on her computer, and we both sync our calendars to it periodically, this way we both have all of each others appointments and know where each other is. It's been nice, but it would be even nicer to do this wirelessly. Is there any way to set up something that whenever one person puts something on their calendar, that it will sync to the other phone and just show up on the other persons calendar on their phone? Can this be accomplished with Google Calendar? I remember there was some kind of a server software you could get a year or so ago, something like blackberry home server or whatever, is that still available? Would that work?

Perhaps is there a different way, maybe once you create a calendar entry to send it as an invite to the other person, same as you do on Outlook? That way you can maintain two different calendars, but have certain things synced between them, or would you need BES to do something like that? (can you set up your own BES server at home?)

-capT

Ah here we go, it was called Blackberry Unite. However looks like it is no longer available for download. :cry: Will there be something to replace it?

-capT

I messed around with Google Calendar and Google Sync, and it looks like promising, but I have some issues. I used Google Sync to sync Outlook one way to the Google calendar, and then uninstalled the sync. This way it gets the calendar out there. I then deleted the calendar from both my device and my wife's device, set the default calendar user to our gmail accounts. Then I installed google sync on both phones, and synced them up. I now have the ability to create an event, and at some point (it takes FOREVER!!!) it will show up on the other phone. So for the most part, it does work, however, I've noticed two problems. First of all, when I set a reminder as I create the event, say to beep at me standard 15 minutes prior, when it shows up on the other device, it is no longer set. I also noticed when I create a recurring appointment on the device, say an event that happens first monday of every month, that it will create it on the calendar, but not as a recurring event. It will be on the calendar for the right days, but when you look at it on the other device, it is not a recurring event. It's like certain attributes are not being mapped or synced properly. It's kind of annoying actually. I'm considering going back to Outlook and syncing manually, after less than 24 hours. I was also hoping for something that would allow me to create an event and have it show up IMMEDIATELY on the other device. There are times when this is absolutely necessary, and I really don't want to have to go in and manually sync before I create an event just to see if my wife has put something there first, and vice versa. Any better ideas than this?

-capT