Can anyone point me towards a basic, working World Clock/Time applet? I regularly communicate with ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

rivviepop no está en línea Stack level 2

Looking for free basic World Clock (Pearl)

Advertisement

Can anyone point me towards a basic, working World Clock/Time applet? I regularly communicate with people in Hong Kong (and right now Paris and Rome), and I want to quickly glance at a screen (sic) that shows me what time it is in several places. A simple digital output with a cities list, nothing fancy -- quicker and lighter is better than fancy graphics and overloaded functionality I won't use.

I'm coming from the S60 platform, where not only does the OS have this ability in it's native Clock app, you also can get a free WorldMate download that has a 5-way clock. I'm absolutely astounded the BB OS doesn't have this built-in. and don't want to shell out yet more money for missing capabilities on this device (already paying $30 for a missing SyncML plugin, sheesh).

I've tried the only one I can find and others link to here:
    www freej2me co uk / WorldClockPage.html

...but it doesn't seem to work right at all on the Pearl, I can't change the theme to Digital and adding other cities doesn't "stick", I can only ever see my own. If I'm doing something wrong and it works on the Pearl for you, say something.

thx!

jbj9871 no está en línea Stack level 3
    try http://www.getjar.com look in the time and calender section.im not sure what all they have but there is lots of apps there

birnbad1 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    22D131B9
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i got it working on my 8700c just fine

Quote Originally Posted by birnbad1
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i got it working on my 8700c just fine
    So if you go Menu -> Settings, you can then scroll to individual options within the first radio group (i.e. select Digital theme) and it's working? On the Pearl it jumps to the next group down, so in effect you can only ever select the first option of any radio group.

I just dropped a note to the devs, maybe they're willing to work with me and get something going here. Can't hurt to try!

BTW: found another one - works, but only allows one extra city (so home + 1) and wastes a lot of screen with a useless map (like we don't know where Paris is ). But, it works (choosing cities is a well done UI in this one).

link: http://www.hashbang.com.au/globaltime/index.html

OYSTR no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Looking for free basic World Clock (Pearl)

riv, out of interest how did you load GlobalTimeBig to your Pearl. When I try to download to PC it saves as a .zip (and if I change to .jar I can't load to phone) and OTA I get media error.

Quote Originally Posted by OYSTR
    riv, out of interest how did you load GlobalTimeBig to your Pearl. When I try to download to PC it saves as a .zip (and if I change to .jar I can't load to phone) and OTA I get media error.
    Err. well I download everything to my PC, then host it on my small webserver and install OTA from there. This way I know that there's a valid JAD file, that JAR filesize matches, and sometimes I do a quick 'unzip -t' on the jar to make sure it's not corrupt.

Lemme see if I have some free webspace on a random public server...

OK here try loading this URL into your BB browser, then clicking the JAD file to install it OTA. This free webhost isn't the greatest, but they let me run PHP scripts and set my own .htaccess rules, so I can't cry too much.

http://rivviepop.php0h.com/bb/index.php?path=ota/

I did a quick download test on my desktop to make sure the right MIMEtypes were being sent from the server, so it should work for you.

cclaw125 no está en línea Stack level 3

Works on the 7290

OYSTR no está en línea Stack level 1

That's great thanks, works on the Pearl.

Quote Originally Posted by OYSTR
    That's great thanks, works on the Pearl.
    Cool! I can just leave that webspace around for future uses like this then, never know when someone needs a bit o' help.