Any free junk mail filters for my 8320 out there?... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

terrapin no está en línea Stack Pro

junk mail filter

Advertisement

Any free junk mail filters for my 8320 out there?

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    what about the spam filters for your email? are those not working properly?

Maybe I don't have it configured right. I use outlook 2007 and it catches junk but everything goes to the bberry. How would I set it so my device doesn't get items delivered to my outlook junk or spam filters?

akosnitzky no está en línea Stack level 3
    You may need to check the configuration in outlook that will allow you to block senders.

Klotar no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207BADEB
    Blocking senders in Outlook won't stop spam from going to your BB, since the ISP is polled by RIM and mail is pushed before it hits Outlook, for the most part. Filtering may work for gmail/yahoo and similar, since the mail is filtered before it's pulled down, but not for most other POP3 accounts.

I use the Antair Spam filter; which does it's filtering after it hits the BB but does it quickly enough that I am not aware that spam has arrived. You can read about what it does and how it works at www.antair.com

As a side note, although the generally accepted way to go is to use filtering via gmail/yahoo to prevent it from coming to your phone, I have had my primary email address for 10+ years now, so I'm not about to change it. Until I got the Antair Spam Filter, I've had to live with it. I estimate I get 300 spam emails every two weeks. 275+ of those are caught upstream by my ISP, 25 make it to my phone BUT I don't see them, they get moved out of my Inbox by the Antair software.
    -Klotar
    Supervising Manager of the Department of Redundancy Department.

any free options?

Klotar no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207BADEB
    Quote Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
    any free options?
    The only "free" way I can think of is to get a gmail account. FORWARD your current ISP email to gmail, then set up the gmail account in your BIS account and then DELETE the original ISP account from the BIS account (so that you don't get mail twice). Then set your spam filters at gmail, which will act as an intermediate point between your ISP mail and your BB.

You will have to play with your 'reply-to' settings and such on your phone so that replies from the BB that will now go back via gmail will appear to come from your original ISP account instead.

No new software needed at all. But you will have to set all your filters that make it through gmail's built-in ones. The alternate (I am not sure about this part), is to set gmail to block everything and then set up every "good" email address in your gmail address book to allow those through. You will have to check your gmail filters to see if something that wasn't supposed to be filtered was filtered. Hard to say which is more work -- depends on how much spam you get.

The alternative spam filtering methods are on a level prior to your current ISP email account and does not involve your BB at all. Lots of those can be googled (the best way is to have the spam filtered BEFORE it hits your ISP using upstream servers, etc.).
    Last edited by Klotar; 04-28-2008 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Typos
    -Klotar
    Supervising Manager of the Department of Redundancy Department.