What does the Jar and Jad file diwnloads mean. im trying to find the one ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

smcopey no está en línea Stack level 2

Question JAR. JAD? Difference

Advertisement

What does the Jar and Jad file diwnloads mean. im trying to find the one that i put on my phone fom my DM

if im not mistaken one is for OTA and one is to download and load onto your phone using the DM

luciferseamus no está en línea Device Pro
    jar files are usually programs and jad files are usually themes
    (In terms of BB)
    I believe you can load either from your mem card
    "If you ever lose your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go, cus' man, they're gone!!"-Jack Handey

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by luciferseamus View Post
    jar files are usually programs and jad files are usually themes
    (In terms of BB)
    I believe you can load either from your mem card
    You are correct sir.... BUT.... You also have to have all the .cod files that the .jad file refers to or the theme won't load. (obviously).
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

right right!
    thanks man!
    "If you ever lose your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go, cus' man, they're gone!!"-Jack Handey

RedNightHawk no está en línea Stack level 3
    A jad file is an Over the Air manifest file that will load either COD's or JAR files to your phone. It isn't just for themes.

If you're on a BB site it'll usually give a Jad file that you click on in your BB browser and it'll tell the BB where to find the COD/JAR files to install.

If you're on something like GetJar, just download the jars (you rarely, as in I've only needed it once, need the JAD file) on your computer and tranfer them to your SD card using mass storage mode. Disconnect the BB and open the Media App, choose the Explore menu item, and then navigate to where you put the file and click on it, it'll ask you if you want to download (that means install) it, say yes and it'll start to install. Most games and apps from GetJar come in JAD and JAR files, but you should only need the Jar files (if it's a Jad COD combo you need the JAD).

If you're looking for files to install from DM, try to find ALX COD combinations. Usually these are in a zip file which you then unzip, and can BROWSE to from the Application Loader to choose for install. Most sites tell you the zip or exe file is for desktop install vs OTA
    Last edited by RedNightHawk; 11-28-2008 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNightHawk View Post
    A jad file is an Over the Air manifest file that will load either COD's or JAR files to your phone. It isn't just for themes.

If you're on a BB site it'll usually give a Jad file that you click on in your BB browser and it'll tell the BB where to find the COD/JAR files to install.

If you're on something like GetJar, just download the jars (you rarely, as in I've only needed it once, need the JAD file) on your computer and tranfer them to your SD card using mass storage mode. Disconnect the BB and open the Media App, choose the Explore menu item, and then navigate to where you put the file and click on it, it'll ask you if you want to download (that means install) it, say yes and it'll start to install. Most games and apps from GetJar come in JAD and JAR files, but you should only need the Jar files (if it's a Jad COD combo you need the JAD).

If you're looking for files to install from DM, try to find ALX COD combinations. Usually these are in a zip file which you then unzip, and can BROWSE to from the Application Loader to choose for install. Most sites tell you the zip or exe file is for desktop install vs OTA
    Wow man! Thanks!

Great info.
    That clears up some questions I had about jad's.