Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PhoneBak So this has not been released for Blackberries, yet. The website says it is ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

icancn2u no está en línea Stack level 4

Smile Interesting lost/stolen device recovery app

Advertisement

PhoneBak
    So this has not been released for Blackberries, yet. The website says it is coming soon. Basically it is a program that sends out a sms to a number(s) you designate if a non-authorized sim card is inserted in your device. Reading through the site I see that you can enter up to 1000 auth sim cards, it will contact you with the specifics of the new sim card, including phone number. Interesting, may help with a theft claim if you have your BB listed on your homeowners policy.
    Thought some of the other stackers would be interested in seeing the info
    http://www.bak2u.com/phonebak.php

Schirripal no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    2096c6ec

Re: Interesting lost/stolen device recovery app

I would get it considering how much we pay for our bb's and to know if the theif could get caught to see him behind bars and get pure satisfaction out of it

organic_matter no está en línea Stack level 4

i would like to see them behind bars becuase they BBnaped my phone... its like a appendage,,,

CaCHooKa Man no está en línea Stack level 3

cant you just have RIM disable the phone since each BB has a unique PIN?

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

^^It's not possible for RIM to do this but you can call your carrier and have them deactivate it by reporting it lost or stolen. This way someone tries to activate it again it will be worthless. You would also log on to BIS and cancel your PIN right away so no emails or msgs go through to the device. Good idea to have password enabled as well. Sure they can enter it 10 times and it will reset, but at least it will wipe the device of your info first. The software looks interesting and some might go for that when it comes out for BB. Thanks for the link
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

iridemybike no está en línea Stack Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Lavagirl View Post
    ^^It's not possible for RIM to do this but you can call your carrier and have them deactivate it by reporting it lost or stolen. This way someone tries to activate it again it will be worthless. You would also log on to BIS and cancel your PIN right away so no emails or msgs go through to the device. Good idea to have password enabled as well. Sure they can enter it 10 times and it will reset, but at least it will wipe the device of your info first. The software looks interesting and some might go for that when it comes out for BB. Thanks for the link
    Reporting it stolen with you carrier is a good start and everybody should do it. However, it's pointless if all the thief does is put their sim card in it and keep it. There's really no reason for them to come in and try to switch the actual device into their name. Everybody should report it stolen with their carrier anyways though, some crooks really are that stupid.

This would be a great app, then you could track them down.

Tucker

d8nnii no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2569098C

Interesting. Nokia used to have such 3rd party app too it can even send info about the thief's number, carrir etc. Hope this coming app can even locate the thief using bb built in gps
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

CaCHooKa Man no está en línea Stack level 3

a little OT but i lost my phone in front of the UCLA dorms the other night and someone actually turned it into the front desk. i guess there are some good people left in the world.

fritzykadoo no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23FB96F8

Looks quite interesting. Definitely want to see people who steal phones/PDAs/BBs behind bars and any help in nabbing them and returning the device to his/her rightful owner is a big step in the right direction.

From a security perspective however, BBs/PDAs often have a lot of (company) confidential data stored on them, which is frequently more "valuable" than the device itself. The one thing that I did not see in this program is a way to WIPE/ERASE all the application data if (a) a special SMS is sent to the BB, (b) a new SIM card is removed/inserted, (c) the micro-SD card is removed/inserted.

There is a program called "mSafe" from a company called Motion Apps which claims to wipe out the data by sending an SMS. It is available for Palm Treo and Win Mobile phones/PDAs but not for BB. Is there something similar for BB? Would love to see it.

DonGato no está en línea Stack level 3

Enterprise data is safe as you can lock and erase a BB from BES.

fritzykadoo no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23FB96F8

Quote Originally Posted by DonGato View Post
    Enterprise data is safe as you can lock and erase a BB from BES.
    Thanks. I realize that BES can locak and erase the BB's data. However, I was wondering whether somthing similar was available for small companies or individuas who do not use BES or even BIS. A program to wipe the BB based on an SMS is a kinda universal answer IMHO. I would love to see an mSafe type app for the BB.

Fritz

MonsterLai no está en línea Stack level 1

Phonebak bb is now available, just received the newsletter about it. Price is US$24.90 instead.

shadrack2002 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    248906D0

looks good...will get that later. Thankx for the link.

d_anna no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2447boc5

Question Re: Interesting lost/stolen device recovery app

Well my blackberry pearl was stolen/lost while I was asleep..I know yeah right. Anyway I got the new curve a few days ago and it isnt as ergonomic as the pearl and has a little too much. I have a questions for all my fellow stackers ?

1. Does anyone know how to import what I recovered on my blackberry to my SIM or does At&t have to do it ?
    2. Also now that the service is off on the lost/stolen BB can me access that info and if so anyway I can control that?
    I apologize if this was the wrong place for my questions. I'm so upset and I loved my pearl and somehow it was more expensive than the curve ? hmm

monica.simons no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASKME

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I want that program but all I have are dust bunnies in my pocket! *sigh*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast