Hi. I just thought I'd let folks know that I installed GMail and GoogleMaps through ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

kolosus no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    315677A8

Installed gmail & gmaps through opera mini

Advertisement

Hi. I just thought I'd let folks know that I installed GMail and GoogleMaps through opera mini yesterday. As far as I understood this was not possible before and you needed an actual blackberry data plan to pull it off. But as of opera mini 4 its possible to install these ota.

I downloaded opera mini 4 to my desktop and used DM to transfer it to my phone then from there the google apps were installed.

Sorry, if this is common knowledge at the forum.

XLiMBS no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    20F3D846

Re: Installed gmail & gmaps through opera mini

I didn't know that was possible, nice find!

Although google says that it can't determine phone type when downloading with Opera, did you get the correct version for your device or just the standard j2me one?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by kolosus View Post
    Hi. I just thought I'd let folks know that I installed GMail and GoogleMaps through opera mini yesterday. As far as I understood this was not possible before and you needed an actual blackberry data plan to pull it off. But as of opera mini 4 its possible to install these ota...
    be careful with this. Your carrier could end up charging you an arm and a leg. If you have a regular generic data plan your carrier could back charge you for what you *should* be paying. If you have no data plan you will be charged at pay-per-kb which is often a lot. The BlackBerry was designed to work with the BB data plan. Your carrier, and RIM I'm sure, can see what service plans you have with your account/device. I've read AT&T is starting to crack down on smartphones with improper plans, others may also. To me it's not worth it to do these "workarounds" and is no different than stealing. If you buy the device and use the services (even partially) then pay for it properly.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

I agree.

If you want the full BlackBerry experience @ the best price, purhase the unlimited BB plan from your carrier.

Anything else is cheating & unethical. It's the cheaters that cause the carriers to raise rates which impacts everyone. Do the right thing, it will serve you well.

~via Red BB 8310 (wap.pinstack.com)~

rhanasab no está en línea Stack level 1

Please provide more detail and if anyone else has had success please advise as to how you made this work..
    Thanks a lot..