Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally Posted by mac14x Are you sure? Coz on the AT&T website it said that ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Re: IM that uses only uses data?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by mac14x View Post
    Are you sure? Coz on the AT&T website it said that you also have to pay for the IM msges with is 15 cents.
    Ahh, I see your confusion. AT&T mostly sells to regular cell phones. Those phones all have built in chat clients and those use SMS (text messages) which would be what you saw and is why they advertise it that way (there are actual SMS short codes for those clients). Those above (except for OZ) all use data, so no worries from those.

CaCHooKa Man no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by cliffr39 View Post
    I'm confused, what do you mean you went to the most popular IM clients and didn't find anything? Where did you go to look? Did you try the links posted above from the fellow members? Those have great resources for several different IM clients for the BB.

everything I see posted above is all data-only usage. Why can you not download it with AT&T? do you not have a data plan? There is one link above that guides you in downloading the application onto your computer and installing it that way also. I guess you need to elaborate on what it is you are wishing so we can assist better.
    The AIM client from RIM only works if you have an 8130 or 8830 from Sprint.

PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by CaCHooKa Man View Post
    The AIM client from RIM only works if you have an 8130 or 8830 from Sprint.
    perhaps you misread my postings? I didn't say anything about AIM
    but as to your comment, that is partially correct. It also works for T-mobile customers.. neither of which are the original posters carrier. So I'm confused by your post regarding AIM

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/service...b_requirements
    Supported smartphones: BlackBerry® 8800 from T-Mobile USA, BlackBerry® 7100i, BlackBerry® 7130e, BlackBerry® 7250, BlackBerry® 7520 and BlackBerry® 8703e from Sprint
    Last edited by cliffr39; 12-19-2007 at 12:05 PM.

monica.simons no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASKME

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ just dl jivetalk and you'l be safe..

rrrebo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240466CA

JiveTalk FTW.

jsaradhi no está en línea Stack level 3

dont mean to highjack this thread, but my question is on topic and i dint want to start a new thread...

i wanted to install googletalk as that is the only im i use...but the at&t rep that set my bb up when i first got it told me that it will use text messages and so i will get charged for sms texting. i dont have sms texting on my plan, but have unlim data plan and so i never installed gtalk. i dont want to spend $20 for jivetalk or $50 for im+ just for gtalk...i wanted to doublecheck with u all...does gtalk (client download from google) use sms texts or data? thanks!

PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by jsaradhi View Post
    dont mean to highjack this thread, but my question is on topic and i dint want to start a new thread...

i wanted to install googletalk as that is the only im i use...but the at&t rep that set my bb up when i first got it told me that it will use text messages and so i will get charged for sms texting. i dont have sms texting on my plan, but have unlim data plan and so i never installed gtalk. i dont want to spend $20 for jivetalk or $50 for im+ just for gtalk...i wanted to doublecheck with u all...does gtalk (client download from google) use sms texts or data? thanks!
    just data (as stated in post 11, 16) so relax and download
    Last edited by cliffr39; 12-19-2007 at 03:34 PM.

Murfunit no está en línea Stack level 2

I'm pretty sure GoogleTalk uses SMS. You might want to check that specifically with AT&T again.

Also, you might want to check if it actually even works on an AT&T handset. Many of the clients (Other than JiveTalk or IM+) will install but when you run them tell you that your handset does not meet the requirements for the client.
    Je t'aime encore, Roguette

PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by Murfunit View Post
    I'm pretty sure GoogleTalk uses SMS. You might want to check that specifically with AT&T again.

Also, you might want to check if it actually even works on an AT&T handset. Many of the clients (Other than JiveTalk or IM+) will install but when you run them tell you that your handset does not meet the requirements for the client.
    I've been using it for many months and never been charged SMS. (It's made by RIM, you really think they would do it via SMS, when they can do it over their own network?) Also, Google Talk and Yahoo are open to all carriers now, only AIM, MSN, and ICQ are restricted still. Notice here that they do not state any carrier requirements, unlike AIM for example. It also says on the link above "BlackBerry data service" on all their IM clients so it's data only not SMS

o thanks cliff...if u have been using it for months without getting charged for sms...thats good enuf for me. also i checked the link in ur post and it does say data service and doesn't even mention sms text messages.

one last thing...u think at&t wudn't b different...wud u cliff?
    Last edited by jsaradhi; 12-19-2007 at 04:06 PM.

PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by jsaradhi View Post
    ..one last thing...u r with at&t, correct cliff?
    I was up until 2 months ago, switched to Verizon. But used it on AT&T also.

ok great! thanks for a quick reply...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12