Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

We are glad to inform you that IM+ for Skype Software is already released. Now ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

SHAPE no está en línea Developer

IM+ for Skype Software is released. Beta-testers are awarded!

Advertisement

We are glad to inform you that IM+ for Skype Software is already released.
    Now IM+ for Skype Software works without Desktop Service on your computer.

IM+ for Skype Software is a mobile application that enables voice and text communication with other Skype users and provides cost-effective calling to landlines and mobiles.

Many thanks to all beta-testers who have helped us with improving IM+ for Skype Software!
    10 of them are awarded with free unlimited licences. Here are their names:
    Jason J Cheng
    Jacob Goldstein
    Karen Strouse
    Jay Garcia
    Lee Sutherburg
    Eli Barash
    Shurajit Gopal
    Ezra Kaufman
    Ryan McCann
    Bruce Bernard

New version is available on our site:
    http://www.shapeservices.com/en/prod...pe&platform=bb
    and on our wap: wap.shapeservices.com/blackberry
    zra
    Download is free. You can use IM+ for Skype Software in trial mode for 7 days.

Valeriya
    SHAPE Services
    Last edited by SHAPE; 05-11-2007 at 11:00 AM.

jm4BBPearl no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: IM+ for Skype Sofwtare is released. Beta-testers are awarded!

I just saw and posted about your 5/7 press release.

Help me understand exactly how the new version works. I don't have a Skype account now, but with your software and a Skype account, can I drop the voice portion of my cell bill and use my unlimited BB data plan to make calls to anyone (land or cell)? With an unlimited Skype account ($24.95/yr?) I can effectively have unlimted peak time voice minutes and save $400+ dollars a year?

peterme no está en línea Stack level 3

I have it running on my 8700g. I enjoyn using it for instant messaging with my Skype contacts. But it drains my battery noticably, and the voice function is not free like regular Skype.

sponch no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    25578c8b

is it possible to use skype on BB without skype for desktop? for chat only`?

sponch no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    25578c8b

get an connection error when choosing Trial

Quote Originally Posted by sponch
    is it possible to use skype on BB without skype for desktop? for chat only`?
    I'm doing that. Like it a lot. However I suspect it uses lots of data, which may concern you if you are not on an unlimited data plan. I think it uses lots of data because I have to charge my phone more often now. Also, it is a beta product, still getting tweaked; some messages don't arrive (rare) and sometimes it inexplicably crashes (also pretty rare).

fbriceno97 Guest

i got it.... nice!!

Quote Originally Posted by peterme
    I'm doing that. Like it a lot. However I suspect it uses lots of data, which may concern you if you are not on an unlimited data plan. I think it uses lots of data because I have to charge my phone more often now.
    New version 2.2.1 doesn't require desktop service.
    Also it doesn't use much data. Voice is transferred by SkypeOut, not by data.

Also, it is a beta product, still getting tweaked; some messages don't arrive (rare) and sometimes it inexplicably crashes (also pretty rare).

I think this situation should be investigate by our developers.
    I will let them know.

Victoria
    IM+ Support Team
    SHAPE Services
    www.shapeservices.com

I have it running on my 8700g. I enjoyn using it for instant messaging with my Skype contacts. But it drains my battery noticably, and the voice function is not free like regular Skype.
    Draining battery problem will be investigated by our developers.

As for voice function cost, let me clarify this situation.
    Skype protocol is not public, so it is not possible for 3rd party applications to transfer voice for free as Skype native client does. So there is a choice between VOIP and SkypeOut for voice transfer.
    IM+ for Skype Software uses SkypeOut to transfer voice data over this wireless network, which ends up being rather cost-efficient if compared to Voice over IP (VoIP). With VoIP the GPRS charge would be much higher than the charge with SkypeOut.
    Furthermore, the call quality is better when you use SkypeOut rather than VoIP.
    So, overall, VoIP would generate much traffic and would not guarantee good call quality, whereas communications through SkypeOut generates little GPRS traffic and provides a quality conversation.

We recommend IM+ for Skype Software users to subscribe to unlimited SkypeOut plans. It will significantly decrease your SkypeOut charges.

Victoria
    IM+ Support Team
    SHAPE Services
    www.shapeservices.com

Quote Originally Posted by sponch
    get an connection error when choosing Trial
    You need to enable TCP/IP on your Blackberry in order to use IM+ for Skype Software.
    See a list of known settings on our WAP-site:
    http://wap.shapeservices.com/blackberry/faq/bb_tcp.php
    or contact your wireless carrier.
    Then please restart IM+ for Skype Software, start Autoconfigurator and wait until it finishes.

If autoconfiguration is unsuccessful, please send us your new log from
    Support / Send request.

Victoria
    IM+ Support Team
    SHAPE Services
    www.shapeservices.com

Quote Originally Posted by jm4BBPearl
    I just saw and posted about your 5/7 press release.

Help me understand exactly how the new version works. I don't have a Skype account now, but with your software and a Skype account, can I drop the voice portion of my cell bill and use my unlimited BB data plan to make calls to anyone (land or cell)? With an unlimited Skype account ($24.95/yr?) I can effectively have unlimted peak time voice minutes and save $400+ dollars a year?

Let me describe this situation.
    The charges for using IM+ for Skype Software are:
    1) licence price ($25 one-time fee)
    2) SkypeOut charges. If you are on unlimited SkypeOut plan, there are no additional charges for SkypeOut.
    3) charges for GPRS traffic applies to both voice and text communications in IM+ for Skype Software.
    With IM+ for Skype Software minimal data traffic is involved when you send voice or text. On average 5Kb of traffic/per hour is used when you stay online in IM+ for Skype Software and send or receive messages. Kb of traffic will depend on the length of your contact list and the frequency with which your Skype contacts get online/offline.
    If you are on unlimited data plan, there will not be additional charges for GPRS traffic.

Note: You need to have voice plan and phone number, because Skype calls are redirected as incoming to your Blackberry. If you pay or not for incoming calls, it depends on tariff policy of your mobile provider.

Victoria
    IM+ Support Team
    SHAPE Services
    www.shapeservices.com

IM+ for Skype Software FAQ

We have recently updated IM+ for Skype Software FAQ section.
    More information about IM+ for Skype Software is available here:
    http://www.shapeservices.com/en/faq/...ns/imskype.php

Victoria
    IM+ Support Team
    SHAPE Services
    www.shapeservices.com

eric_wrung no está en línea Stack level 1

hi people at Shape,

i have a pearl8100 and am really interested to use IM+ for skype. After many struggles i downloaded the trial version from your wap server first, as well as the desktop software and the pdf file on my pc.

Now when trying to open the trial version on my phone, as user sponch said it gives me a "bad dns" result or when trying to auto connect it will tell me something failed... and your wap help page doesn't mention any TCP apn for SFR / France. I did some more searches and i believe i did set up the tcp with correct apn (wapsfr with rest left blank, as my provider is SFR in France), but it still won't work.

Do i need to have the desktop software running or not to install the software on my phone? Because even i believe i don't need it (it says on your website page that the software is rarely necessary), i'm a bit confused now, after hours of trying everything i could.

I hope you / someone can help me on this, if i manage to try that software out i'll probably buy it, but i don't want to waste money since i don't have a clue if even registering will solve my problem...

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by eric_wrung
    hi people at Shape,

i have a pearl8100 and am really interested to use IM+ for skype. After many struggles i downloaded the trial version from your wap server first, as well as the desktop software and the pdf file on my pc.

Now when trying to open the trial version on my phone, as user sponch said it gives me a "bad dns" result or when trying to auto connect it will tell me something failed... and your wap help page doesn't mention any TCP apn for SFR / France. I did some more searches and i believe i did set up the tcp with correct apn (wapsfr with rest left blank, as my provider is SFR in France), but it still won't work.

Do i need to have the desktop software running or not to install the software on my phone? Because even i believe i don't need it (it says on your website page that the software is rarely necessary), i'm a bit confused now, after hours of trying everything i could.

I hope you / someone can help me on this, if i manage to try that software out i'll probably buy it, but i don't want to waste money since i don't have a clue if even registering will solve my problem...

Thanks for your help!
    After entering new APN settings you need to run Autoconfigurator.
    In IM+ for Skype Software please go to Settings / Connection. Press
    Menu button and select "Autoconfig". You will receive a message: "In
    order to run autoconfigurator the application should be restarted".
    Press OK.
    IM+ will be restarted. Then please open it, press Menu button and
    select "Start".
    If autoconfiguration is unsuccessful, please send us your new log from
    Support / Send request.

Desktop service is not necessary, if you use the latest version 2.2.1.

Victoria
    IM+ Support Team
    SHAPE Services

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I love this app but sometimes strange contacts appear on my contacts list and send me messages, even though my home pc Skype is set to block non-buddies. What's worse is that IM+ offers no way to block or remove these contacts after they appear!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast