i'm not the most technically savvy person in the world, but if we can have ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

nateshiner no está en línea Stack level 2

if facebook can, why not gmail?

Advertisement

i'm not the most technically savvy person in the world, but if we can have a facebook app using BB's push services to display the messages in the facebook app.....well, why can't the gmail app behave similarly???? and then we could label and archive on a "push" program with a gmail interface...

just a thought....if only i knew how to modify the current gmail app to refresh automatically once a "pushed" email comes through the BB's email app, then give a gmail app "message" icon and auto-delete the message from the BB's email app (like the facebook app does)....well, then i'd write the program.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Re: if facebook can, why not gmail?

Why would you need an app? If you just have it as one of your emails on BIS then you shouldn't need the app.

All the Facebook app is doing is Hi-jacking the emails that are coming in from your email anyways. Then just redirecting them to the app and then labeling them as Facebook messages.

It would be kind of redundant for them to make an app for gmail just for BB. Since you already can get your gmail on your BB. All it would be for is to make it look a bit better.

I'm just confused on why you need to use the application if your email is already getting pushed?

nateshiner no está en línea Stack level 2

here are the advantages to having an app:
    1: you can label
    2: you can archive
    3: with the current gmail app, you can search all your emails
    4: you can view your messages in conversation format
    5: there are a few more reasons which escape me at the moment

I do use the BIS right now, but that's not capable of doing what I've listed above, so that I make the best use of gmail. It's not just about making it look better, there are certain functions of gmail that can't be fully taken advantage of with the current BIS setup.

Either way, the I guess the purpose of the thread wasn't as much "why" as it is "is it possible"...

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Oh it's certainly possible, but the thing is that both parties would have to be in the process.

Facebook and RIM worked on the application together.

That's why it's so integrated into the BB OS and why it works so well.

So maybe make a suggestion to RIM or Google. Althought I'm not sure either would be willing to work together. But you never know.

rand0m no está en línea Stack level 3

i'm the same way as nateshiner. I have BIS on my phone which is set up to my gmail.. but now i ended up just using the gmail app to view my emails.

I like the layout better too. It has my entire addressbook from my account logged in there so i don't have to re-add all my contacts.

I would be very interested in finding a better way for gmail to notify me of new msgs, but for not.. i don't mine opening the app to check

david_p no está en línea Stack level 1

There is an app that you can get from Google just go there from the browser of your phone

david_p no está en línea Stack level 1

oh yeah i for got to mention that you can get google maps email and more... i have it on my pearl from t-mobile.