Outlook Calendar sync problems can drive you batty! I've dealt with many of them, mostly ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

HowTo: Fix Outlook and General Calendar issues

Advertisement

Outlook Calendar sync problems can drive you batty! I've dealt with many of them, mostly in a BES environment, but the solutions should work equally well with BIS as most are not BES specific.

1: Clean up your Outlook Calendar. Many times conflicts in Outlook - email, address book, tasks, or calendar conflicts - disrupt or prevent proper synchronization. The problem is the tools Microsoft provides (ScanOST.exe and ScanPST.exe) don't fix Calendar or Address Book conflicts. The only way to do this effectively is to find them manually.
    Calendar Conflicts: There are no default Calendar views that reveal conflicts, so you have to copy it from an existing view.
    1. From the Outlook Calendar Menu select View --> Arrange By --> Current View --> Define Views. (Note which view you're currently using so you can go back to it when you're done)
    2. Scroll down the list of views, click ONCE on Events and click the [Copy] button. You will be asked for a name for the view, it will default to Copy of Events which we'll change to ALL here - you can name it whatever you want, then click [OK].
    3. A Customize View: All window will appear. Click on [Filter] then click the Advanced tab. Click on anything listed in the Field items that match these criteria: window and click the [Remove] button.
    4. You can also remove grouping and add/remove fields, just make sure the Icon field is shown and is the first field.
    5. Click the [OK] button to dismiss the Customize View: All window, make sure ALL is selected from the Views list and click [Apply View] button.
    6. You will now have a list of everything in your Calendar! Scroll through the entire list keeping an eye out for:
      1. Yellow Conflict Icons: These will appear in the left column as either a yellow shield or crossed yellow swords. Double click on the item, and Outlook will tell you there is a conflict between two entries and ask which one to keep. Usually just keep the latest item or open them and decide which one to keep.
      2. Non Calendar Items (also usually yellow): These are things that probably got dragged and dropped into the calendar accidentally - like an email or a task or a contact (not yellow). Move the item OUT of the Calendar!
    7. Once you've removed all Conflicts and Non-Calendar items, go back to your original view.
    Address Book Conflicts:
    1. Go to your Contacts. For some reason Contacts conflicts can cause sync issues elsewhere!
    2. From the Contacts Menu select View --> Arrange By --> Current View --> (note which view you're using now) and select Phone List (this has always been a default view in Outlook - no customization needed).
    3. Again, scroll through the list watching for Conflicts (see item 6.1 above) non Address Book items as in item 6.2 above except look for non Address Book items. Resolve the conflicts, and move the non Address Book items out!
    2: Corrupt Service Books (BES Only). You'll need either a computer with Desktop Manager installed and properly set up for operation with your Exchange and BIS servers. If this is not possible, you'll have to ask your BES Admin to resend them.
    1. From your BlackBerry's Main screen, select (Settings/Tools -->) Options --> Advanced Options --> Service Books.
    2. Scroll through the list of service books, and on each item that begins with Desktop[, Click the Wheel/Menu button and select Delete.
    3. Once you have deleted ALL Desktop[...] Service Books, either connect to your properly configured Desktop Manager (better), or request a resend of your Service Books from your BES Administrator. If you use Desktop Manager, you'll see some activity when you plug in your device, and once it says Connected and does NOT say Working for more than 10 seconds, you will have your Desktop Service Books back.
    3: Appointments are off by 1 hour (not really an Outlook issue, but...). This is known as the DST 2007 issue! The start and end dates for Daylight Savings time were changed by a few weeks in 2007 for some reason that fails to make any sense to anyone except those that haven't got a clue or stand to profit from upgrades required to work with the new dates (good work George!). At issue here are the host OS, the version of Desktop Manager, and the model and version of BlackBerry OS! HOWEVER, you will only see this problem during the period between the old and new dates!
    • The old DST dates were the first Sunday in April and the Last Sunday in October.
    • The NEW DST Dates are the Second Sunday in March and the First Sunday in November.
    • The problem occurs between the
      • The Second Sunday in March and the first Sunday in April, and
      • The Last Sunday in October and the First Sunday in November.
    1. Computer OS: Make sure that whatever version of OS you use, you have applied the required patch to make the OS DST 2006 compliant! Note that this update has been updated at least once, and the latest version was released 8/29/07!
    2. Desktop Manager: Only version 4.2 and later of Desktop Manager is DST 2006 compliant. If you're running earlier versions, make sure that you have unchecked the option to synchronize your BlackBerry's Time on both the Synchronization setting as well as the Automatic setting!
    3. BlackBerry OS: In late 2006 a slew of OS's were released to accommodate DST 2007. However, a patch is available for most devices running older versions of the OS. Simply point your BlackBerry Browser to: http://www.blackberry.com/dst2007. Note that the page takes a long time to load - be patient. The 8800 and later devices (8300, 8830, 8820, whatever comes next!) do not need this patch.
    4. Outlook: Does NOT need to be patched! It uses the System time.
    4: Calendar reminders not occurring: This is a known issue with devices running OS version 4.2.2. Go here for the patch.

This is a work in progress, and your feedback is welcome.
    (Note to Admins - please do NOT sticky this yet so I can continue to edit it!)
    JerryD

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Re: HowTo: Fix Outlook and General Calendar issues

thanks jerry this should help many!!

once done editing, let me know where to sticky it...don't want it to get lost

ywolpin no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    319F5313

When I sync all my added appointments get deleted.
    Help

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Known Problem, check this thread, Curve Calendar Patch

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

ywolpin no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    319F5313

I am using version 4.2.2.148 and they say the patch is not needed for that version

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Then check the settings for you calendar sync setup. Make sure you have is set to sync, and not import or export.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

mellis2718 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    218255b2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~my problem is with tasks only. I am in arizona, my bes is in chicago. I create a task in outlook with a due date. It doesn't allow a time, just the date. By the time it gets to my BB, it has the previous date, 11pm. Ideas?

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Try this, make sure both your Outlook and Blackberry are set to Mountain Time. then Check your Calendar setings for work day. Set it to 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM. See if that shows the tasks on the correct date.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

mellis2718 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    218255b2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~gave that a shot. No change, still showing tasks at 11pm.

dbh1 no está en línea Stack level 2

Is it me or does the BB set all day to be 1am-1am and outlook as 12am-12am. When I enter an all day on my blackberry, it seems to span 2 days on outlook. When I enter it on outlook, it shows as a 12am-12am appt instead of an "all day".

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Quote Originally Posted by dbh1 View Post
    Is it me or does the BB set all day to be 1am-1am and outlook as 12am-12am. When I enter an all day on my blackberry, it seems to span 2 days on outlook. When I enter it on outlook, it shows as a 12am-12am appt instead of an "all day".
    You seem to have two different issues going on here.

The first appears to be a Daylight Savings Time or maybe a Time Zone issue. Since your profile says you have an 8320, the DST patch shouldn't be an issue on your BlackBerry, however make sure you have the time zone set correctly on it (Options --> Date/Time), AND that it corresponds to what is set both on your Computer AND in Outlook.

As for DST and your Computer, assuming WinXP, make sure you have KB931836 installed.

Now, as to the time thing. I don't know what causes it, but I regularly find recurring all day events - like Birthdays - randomly changing from an all day event (that has no time) to a midnight-midnight event, but this appears to be an Outlook issue, and usually happens to calendar events related to Contact items - like if you enter someone's Birthday into their Contact item.

Also, once you've created a recurring all day event, you can't access the "All Day Event" check box in Outlook if you "Open the series" rather than "Open this occurance". This is not true if you try to edit the event on your BlackBerry.

I won't even get into the fact that in checking out my calendar, I found a friend's anniversary had changed from an all day event to a Midnight event that displayed on both my BlackBerry AND Outlook, but NOT AT ALL in Outlook Web Access!!!

I'm not sure if any of this helps - except to let you know it's not just you, and most likely not your BlackBerry!
    JerryD