Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Just downloaded Trapster onto my 7100i. I used the Sprint download (Sprint BlackBerry: www.trapster.com/tms41.jad ) ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

BklynEddie no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3089BE1A

Re: Have you guys seen this .. Trapster

Advertisement

Just downloaded Trapster onto my 7100i. I used the Sprint download (Sprint BlackBerry: www.trapster.com/tms41.jad ) loaded with no problem. But how come every time I open
    the program it keeps asking me for my user name and password. Is there anyway
    to have it remember them? And after I sign in I get Latest Alerts None and
    across the bottom it keeps saying "Attempting to Get Location, Please Wait"

tj2311111 Guest

^^^Same problem here with a BB 8100. It keeps saying "Attempting to Get Location, Please Wait." I downloaded the Sprint version and Im using a Pearl under T-mobile. Any ideas?

trapster no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by teamjordan23
    ^^^Same problem here with a BB 8100. It keeps saying "Attempting to Get Location, Please Wait." I downloaded the Sprint version and Im using a Pearl under T-mobile. Any ideas?
    That's because the Pearl doesn't have GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by BklynEddie
    Just downloaded Trapster onto my 7100i. I used the Sprint download (Sprint BlackBerry: www.trapster.com/tms41.jad ) loaded with no problem. But how come every time I open
    the program it keeps asking me for my user name and password. Is there anyway
    to have it remember them? And after I sign in I get Latest Alerts None and
    across the bottom it keeps saying "Attempting to Get Location, Please Wait"
    Thanks for the input. I agree that login is a PIA. I'll fix that.

As far as the "Attempting to Get Location...", I assume you are outside or in range of GPS signal. I can get a location from the autonomous GPS in the Cingular 8800 while inside my house, but not in a 2 story building. The A-GPS of the Sprint 8703e seems to get at least a crude location pretty much anywhere.

My fear is that the problem is worse - is your 7100i a Verizon phone? THis seems to say Verizon has gimped the GPS chip on the phone:
    http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-services.html

PIN/ID
    3089BE1A

Quote Originally Posted by trapster
    Thanks for the input. I agree that login is a PIA. I'll fix that.

As far as the "Attempting to Get Location...", I assume you are outside or in range of GPS signal. I can get a location from the autonomous GPS in the Cingular 8800 while inside my house, but not in a 2 story building. The A-GPS of the Sprint 8703e seems to get at least a crude location pretty much anywhere.

My fear is that the problem is worse - is your 7100i a Verizon phone? THis seems to say Verizon has gimped the GPS chip on the phone:
    http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-services.html
    No problem, glad to help. And yes it is a PIA.... Glad to hear you'll fix it.
    No I'm not on Verizon, I have Nextel.
    I went out of my house and tried to get located and at first I still got the
    "Attempting to Get Location". Then I tried my Map Quest Navigator to
    see if I was getting a GPS signal and I was. Then I tried Trapster again
    (after login again) and after a few minutes it gave me my location.
    I wish I was able to add some info, but I didn't want to post false information.

No problem, glad to help. And yes it is a PIA.... Glad to hear you'll fix it.
    No I'm not on Verizon, I have Nextel.
    I went out of my house and tried to get located and at first I still got the
    "Attempting to Get Location". Then I tried my Map Quest Navigator to
    see if I was getting a GPS signal and I was. Then I tried Trapster again
    (after login again) and after a few minutes it gave me my location.
    I wish I was able to add some info, but I didn't want to post false information.
    Thanks again for the input! The login is now fixed. Upon successful login it saves the info to your device.

I need to borrow a Sprint phone to make sure, but it works OK on my Cingular 8800 (both use the same Java code for almost everything). The new build is at the same place, trapster.com/tms41.jad. The new MIDlet version is 0.91

Live police traps only live for 30 minutes in the system, so if you want to try it out feel free.

Please let me know if you see anything else that can be improved!

PIN/ID
    3089BE1A

Thanks again for the input! The login is now fixed. Upon successful login it saves the info to your device.

I need to borrow a Sprint phone to make sure, but it works OK on my Cingular 8800 (both use the same Java code for almost everything). The new build is at the same place, trapster.com/tms41.jad. The new MIDlet version is 0.91

Live police traps only live for 30 minutes in the system, so if you want to try it out feel free.

Please let me know if you see anything else that can be improved!
    No problem, glad to help. I downloaded the new version 0.91, the one I had on my BB
    said it was version 1.0?!? So I replaced it with 0.91. I login and then shut down the program
    and when I restarted it, I was still login. So that works great.
    I did as you said and did a "police trap" seems liked it worked. But at the bottom of the alert
    I get a message saying "address function not operational at this time" not sure what that means.

May I make a suggestion ? When the Alerts come up on the BB, is there someway to give a better location? Like cross streets. On my BB it shows numbers as the location (ex. 40621100 - 73.909000) If I didn't put it in, I would have no idea where the location is...
    Last edited by BklynEddie; 06-07-2007 at 04:49 PM.

No problem, glad to help. I downloaded the new version 0.91, the one I had on my BB
    said it was version 1.0?!? So I replaced it with 0.91. I login and then shut down the program
    and when I restarted it, I was still login. So that works great.
    I did as you said and did a "police trap" seems liked it worked. But at the bottom of the alert
    I get a message saying "address function not operational at this time" not sure what that means.

May I make a suggestion ? When the Alerts come up on the BB, is there someway to give a better location? Like cross streets. On my BB it shows numbers as the location (ex. 40621100 - 73.909000) If I didn't put it in, I would have no idea where the location is...
    Yes, that's exactly what the "address function..." message means. I have reverse geocoding shut off right now - the service I was using was a bit slow, just need to find another one.

Also when Google releases the GMM API I can plop them on a map, sort of like the Web site.

The overall idea is that the BB beeps at you when you are close to a trap of any sort, similar to a radar detector, not that you would read the screen or address while driving.

The version .91 is correct.

PIN/ID
    3089BE1A

Yes, that's exactly what the "address function..." message means. I have reverse geocoding shut off right now - the service I was using was a bit slow, just need to find another one.

Also when Google releases the GMM API I can plop them on a map, sort of like the Web site.

The overall idea is that the BB beeps at you when you are close to a trap of any sort, similar to a radar detector, not that you would read the screen or address while driving.

The version .91 is correct.
    Oh ok... The map part sounds great.... That would be nice. Not that I would
    be looking at the map while driving....

sickened no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    dont ask

this is app seems sweet when i tired it. only thing is that it needs a wider range of people whp can use it. if other phones could use it (different bbs) then it would make it worth using because there would be so much more people reporting the cop traps instead of only a hand full. this is like word of mouth...the more there are reporting traps the better.

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~hmmmm. So the 8100 on tmobile won't work because they don't have gps! Lame!

Mobiman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2071348F

Great thanks for sharing this, but it seems the mapping is not updated regularly.

Lowrider no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Man, that is kool, will there be a version for "Us" mini ma bell users? hehe....Cincy Bell Wireless? tia
    -----------------------------------
    Thx a lot!
    Low
    OSU Buckeye's # 1

PIN/ID
    3089BE1A

Had to take the streets home from work yesterday. So I thought I would run with Trapster on
    and send in some red light camera reports. There are a few that I know of
    on the way home, including a brand new one they just started using this week.
    Well anyway for the whole trip (about 20 or so mins) I got the message across the bottom
    saying "Attempting to Get Location, Please Wait" and it never connected..

Eddie, you mention above that it got the GPS location OK. Has it worked since? Strange - I haven't seen intermittent behavior on any phone (i.e. either it's worked or not).

Lowrider, if your BB has GPS I would suggest just trying the version listed as "Sprint...".

Sickened, that's the $64 question with mobile - carriers puposely put up a walled garden. I've been waiting for approval for 6 mo from Sprint (I've tested Trapster on Sprint CDMA handsets, and it works fine... but they block location based services unless the app provider has a business relationship). Verizon charges something like $50K to get qualified as a 3rd party app.

Mobiman, that's just because of the limited number of current "pre-release" users. Live trap reports only live for 30 minutes.

All that said, if you can recruit even a small group of users in your immediate area, it will probably be a useful tool, right now. Doesn't take many to cover even a 10 mile radius.

The red light cam reports are mostly eye candy. I've been meaning to just enter a bunch (it's public info, just a lot of work). In fact I should make a way to shut of the beeping for that trap type... gets a little irritating, and now there's a camera at about every light here. Most people already know where the red light cameras are in their area, and it's not like the info is actionable - i.e would you run a red light on purpose because there was no camera? Probably not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast