Hi fellow stackers, I just wanted you to know about a thread of discussion I ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

colabnet no está en línea Stack level 2

Thumbs down handmark.com ad ploy on yahoo.com

Advertisement

Hi fellow stackers,

I just wanted you to know about a thread of discussion I have going on at blackberryforums.com regarding handmark.com's inappropriate use of our brand "Berry Pix" in their ads on Yahoo!

It is one thing to use our brand as a keyword for ad matching, it is quite another to actually use our "Berry Pix" brand in their ad title.

I am very disappointed with handmark.com over this and I just wanted you guys to know. I would be very interested in hearing your comments.

The original post is at http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...yahoo-com.html

I hope it is OK to post that link here - normally I wouldn't do this, but I felt I needed to air my disappointment.

Like I said previously, I have great respect for handmark.com applications and their business and I hope that they will reconsider their apparent misuse of the "Berry Pix" name.

Thanks for your time,
    Collaborative Network Technologies Inc.
    http://www.colabnet.com
    55 Bond Street, Suite 103,
    St. John's, NL
    A1C 1S9

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Re: handmark.com ad ploy on yahoo.com

Thanks for bringing this up, as you are always welcome to do so...

I dont have much expertise with legalities, but I say you go whoop some butt!

Seriously, I see the problem and wish you the best of luck.

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

I totally agree with CP

jerrycrabb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe4It

Absolutely, don't let that stand for a min.
    Build a man a fire and he shall be warm for the night. Catch a man on fire and he shall be warm for the rest of his life!

We probably won't being doing anything legal as it would be international in nature ($$$) since colabnet.com is in wintery Newfoundland and Labrador, in Canada.

But what we can do is let the public know what handmark.com is up to. To me handmark.com are actually perpetrating two wrongs:

1) handmark.com are using "Berry Pix" without permission in their ad text on yahoo.com

2) handmark.com are disrespecting the Yahoo! community by supplying ads that are misleading.

I really don't mind them using "Berry Pix" as a search keyword and returning their own ads so long as they don't have "Berry Pix" mentioned in their ad text anywhere.

If handmark.com are willing to use another company's hard earned brand without permission to bring people to their site, how can we trust them as a partner or as a supplier?

Thanks for the kind words!
    St. John's, NL
    A1C 1S9

Thumbs up Re: handmark.com ad ploy on yahoo.com

I have had more activity on this thread at the intial forum and I am happy to report that handmark.com has ceased using the "Berry Pix" brand in their ad text on Yahoo!

I am not sure what motivated this move by handmark.com, but I am very appreciative all the same. Thanks handmark.com!

Thanks to pinstack.com, the stack admins, et al for allowing me to have a cross-forum thread posted on this topic. I really appreciate it.

Regards,
    Last edited by colabnet; 03-07-2007 at 01:05 PM. Reason: new information available
    St. John's, NL
    A1C 1S9