One of Shape Service's many applications is GPSed, an application for tracking, mapping and (optionally) ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

GPSed News Item

Advertisement

One of Shape Service's many applications is GPSed, an application for tracking, mapping and (optionally) sharing your trips online. You can 1) keep the tracks in a personal archieve, 2) share your GPS position and photos with friends and family and 3) track friends, family and business vehicles all using your iPhone, BlackBerry, Windows Mobile or J2ME devices.

GPSed has been mention previously in Pinstack so many of you are somewhat familiar with it already.

I'm mentioning it again because in reading the information about the product here I noticed the following statement:
    Unfortunately, Verizon blocks access to built-in GPS for all third parties applications. Therefore GPSed will not work with in-built GPS receiver of Verizon Blackberry device.
    I believe the Verizon GPS "block" has been removed from their handsets in the last few months. Also, with the installation of 4.5.0.160 on my Alltel 8330, the GPS on it is no longer locked. Now that Alltel and Verizon are one company I hope this restriction will be reduced completely over the near future.

My news is that on a recent 4 1/2 hour road trip I was able to track my trip via GPSed without a problem. I started and stopped it several times, etc. Since I was also driving I wasn't able to fully explore all the features but I wanted to make this fact known to other Pinstack users who might be interested in trying the software.

I have made Shape Services support aware of MY progress and that I believe the restrictions on CDMA handsets are somewhat less than they used to be.

If you're interested in reading more about the features of GPSed you can do so here. I you want to, download it on this page and give it a try.

NOTE: If a few Verizon and or Sprint users could help verify whether or not their smart phone can used this product it would help others to be sure. (Even though I am now a Verizon customer my 8330 is an Alltel branded phone.)

Any addition info/corrections regarding the use of GPSed are welcome.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Got a notice from Shape Services that they will provide free copies of GPSed Pro for all active reviewers! So, if you're interested, try it out and provide a review of it in this thread.

I suppose, if a user wanted to follow these guidelines for reviews one of you could be a "hero" and post a review in the Pinstack review section here.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com