I use Google Maps on my 7100g and since my company changed my IT policy ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

n4wwl no está en línea Stack level 1

Google Maps BES error

Advertisement

I use Google Maps on my 7100g and since my company changed my IT policy I keep getting an error message that says one of the modules is trying to make an internal connection which is not allowed by my IT policy. This error message appears about 3 times. After clearing it each time, I am able to download the info after all.

Is there a way to reconfigure Google Maps so it doesn't keep trying to connect through my BES server? An e-mail to Google Maps produced a response that was unintelligible.

Thanks for any help.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: Google Maps BES error

I would call my BB admin about this. They can either tell you they don't want you to use Google Maps, or solve this problem by correcting the IT Policy. I don't think there is anything you can do, but I'm not the BES expert here.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I'm on BES, but my G Maps has not been restricted.

However, if you also have BIS, then you should also have direct internet access through your carrier, which doesn't go through the MDS of your company.

G Maps doesn't have any internal settings, however, I did find something that may work for you.

From the Homescreen --> Options --> Advanced Options --> Applications --> scroll to Google Maps, click wheel and select Edit Permissions --> Expand the Connections banner --> there should be several options, two of which are Company Network and Carrier Internet --> if not done already, change Company Network to Deny and Carrier Internet to Allow.

This may instruct Google Maps to go straight to the internet without going through your BES/MDS.

But it's not proven because I can't verify that this works, because my BES allows G Maps. And you may not even be able to change any of these permission settings depending on how tight your BES policies are.

Let us know if you're successful.

Lewis -- an excellent suggestion! I did just that, but unfortunately it results in the same error message. For some reason, it still wants to connect first via the BES, even when I change the option to Deny, and when that fails it goes to my carrier's BIS.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

One further suggestion, go to Options/Advanced Options/Browser of Options/Browser and set Default Browser Configuration to Internet.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Thanks, Rcbjr. Tried that, too, but still no success. What strange behavior. There's either an easy fix I'm just missing, or the program is set up to work that way and can't be changed. Oh, well.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

After I posted, I made those application permission changes, and I got the same error you described.

So I am guessing that if it's set to allow/prompt, then G Maps is trying but being refused by the BES/MDS. But when set to deny, the BB is denying.

Kind of limited that G Maps wouldn't build in an options page which would allow a user to choose which data service to use. I have seen that ability built into other third party apps.

Perhaps the new "BlackBerry Maps" will address this issue. ??