Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Oooh. Just found an article from Google: http://www.google.com/support/mobile...73&topic=12595 How accurate is My Location (beta)? Mobile ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

vinmontRD no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Google Maps 2.0.1 Is Out

Advertisement

Oooh. Just found an article from Google:
    http://www.google.com/support/mobile...73&topic=12595

How accurate is My Location (beta)?

Mobile towers are placed by operators throughout an area to provide coverage for their users. Each of these towers has its own individual coverage area, usually split into three non-overlapping sections known as "cells." These cells come with identification numbers, but no location information. Google takes geo-contextual information [from anonymous GPS-readings, etc] and associates this information with the cell at that location to develop a database of cell locations. Based on this information, Google uses various algorithms to approximate your location relative to the cells nearest you. The accuracy of this information depends on how big an individual cell is. Thus, areas with a denser concentration of mobile towers allow for a more accurate My Location reading. Additionally, as our database of cell locations continues to improve, so too does the accuracy and coverage of the My Location feature.

This suggests that it's not really classic triangulation. But it also appears that Google is building up it's own database the will correlate GPS data with cell tower footprint data, and that this database will get bigger and more accurate the more often people with GPS's -- with Google Maps running -- travel around cell towers.

Amazing. They've found a way to capitalize on GPS inquiries to Google Maps, correlate them with cell tower data, and they're building a new database that will be priceless -- letting them provide geodata on the fly to non-GPS devices in a way that no competitor will be able to (unless they start doing the same thing -- which may or may not be protected by copyright and/or patent).

jsaradhi no está en línea Stack level 3

as far as i can see, the newer version 2.0.1 (i upgraded from 2.0) does NOT lose ur previous saved favorites like the previous upgrades did...this is awesome!

ktabel01 no está en línea Stack level 1

Love this new feature.

tstrike no está en línea Stack level 3

Google Maps is very good... I live in an apartment complex and it actually showed me moving from one end of my apt complex to the other in real time

jorgeg.ledes no está en línea Developer

This version rocks, forget BB Maps, I deleted it already !! Love the address book integration
    Best regards

Jorge Ledesma
    PIN 2440BE7C

www.blackberrygtd.com

supersauce no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Gmm is the best!!!!

dgduffy no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23DBE5D5

Obviously Google data is best in the US. Here in France my blue dot is 1 mile away in the middle of the bay in Cannes!

XLiMBS no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    20F3D846

I don't know how long this has been in there because I rarely increase the zoom level that high but there are alleyways on the maps now too!

(usefull for those who like to cut traffic)

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

pocketpete no está en línea Stack level 1

Which one do I DL to my 8320...windows version

lauren25 no está en línea Stack level 5

I love google maps. Update is awesome.
    ~Lauren

finder216 no está en línea Stack level 3

I just downloaded it on my 8700g, with no problems. It started right up and worked perfectly. Glad I waited for the new (newer) release.

PittsDriver no está en línea Stack level 3
    i cant get it to reconize my 8310 internal GPS.... anyone else have this problem? how to fix?

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    Quote Originally Posted by atsmark View Post
    i cant get it to reconize my 8310 internal GPS.... anyone else have this problem? how to fix?

Google maps uses 2 or more cell towers to get your location, usally pretty close, I use Blackberry maps on my 8800, and it works great with the GPS. According to Google you can try this though
    http://groups.google.com/group/Googl...a2af315af1e98f

It is kind of old from 2006, but all I found on google for it. Maybe they still don't support it
    Last edited by pda.teck; 04-18-2008 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Spelling and trying to make it more accurate
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    One last thing, the only how to for Mobile device GPS seems to keep coming back to Windows Mobile. not BB
    http://www.google.com/support/mobile...65&topic=13541
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

BigHulkDiese no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22BF6200
    The best thing to do is go into options > applications, menu click on google maps, click edit permissions. Make sure that you allow google maps to access your blackberry's internal GPS.

Also, if you are on a BES it is possible that your IT policy is restricting your GPS from working. I know mine was. You just have to call your IT manager and ask them to give you access.

Hope it helps, let us know!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast