Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Originally Posted by jorgeg.ledes ok, downloaded it but its the My Location Beta, but it ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

rabbott no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Google Maps 2.0.1 Is Out

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by jorgeg.ledes View Post
    ok, downloaded it but its the My Location Beta, but it does not seem to have GPS support, perhaps its an option but one I could not find, it certainly look good, its sleeker now.

I just upgraded from 1.6.4 on my ATT 8310 ... it froze my device upon first load but after a battery pull it's working fine. It took a couple minutes to pick up GPS, but it's definitely using GPS at the moment.

If you check the help it'll tell you it's using the "blue circle" around the blue dot if GPS is unavailable. When GPS is used the blue circle goes away and the blue dot should show a more precise location.

Looks good so far

challigan23 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242E2B51

Ok, i'm sure this is not the brightest question, but i'll give it a shot. How do I get the "my location" to work? Im on T-Mobile with the Pearl 8100, no gps. Is it possible without gps?

rabbott no está en línea Stack level 2

It works out-of-the-box. It may ask you to hit "0" (zero) to go to your location. When you do this you should see a blue dot on the map surrounded by a large blue circle.

If for some reason it doesn't do this there is also a "My Location" selecttion available when you hit the menu button.

It should also estimate accuracy - when I was on towers it said "your location within 1000 meters".

enjoy!

tj2311111 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by challigan23 View Post
    Ok, i'm sure this is not the brightest question, but i'll give it a shot. How do I get the "my location" to work? Im on T-Mobile with the Pearl 8100, no gps. Is it possible without gps?

Yes it is possible. I have a Tmobile 8100 and it works for me (not always accurate but pretty good for non GPS). Just go into the program and it should load "My Location." Or if it doesn't hit 0 when Google Maps loads.

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i really didn't noticed too much of a difference. Just the my location has went down fro a 5k meter radius to 1200 meter radius.

challigan23 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242E2B51

It says my location is temporarily unavailable.
    Last edited by challigan23; 11-30-2007 at 06:50 PM.

tj2311111 Guest

[quote=challigan23;519426]
    Quote Originally Posted by teamjordan23 View Post
    Yes it is possible. I have a Tmobile 8100 and it works for me (not always accurate but pretty good for non GPS). Just go into the program and it should load "My Location." Or if it doesn't hit 0 when Google Maps loads.[/quote

It says my location is temporarily unavailable.

Just exit from the program and retry it. If that doesn't work try using the program for awhile then hit 0 and see if anything happens. That has happened to me too. I just usually restart the program and it works or just give it some time to load.

bbfogie no está en línea Stack level 2

I upgraded, but the range on my location is still 1700 meters.

mchoy no está en línea Stack level 2

This should work out a lot of the questions about the product. Here's Google's video with a full description:

http://www.google.com/gmm/mylocation.html?hl=en
    BlackBerry 8320 (T-Mobile) Titanium

Jordanf1end no está en línea Stack level 2

Google Maps is free correct?? i wont be charged anything because i have a 8310

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordanf1end View Post
    Google Maps is free correct?? i wont be charged anything because i have a 8310
    The program is free, you'll pull against your data plan to download maps though.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

wow already, thanks!

woodi68 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    woodi68

Has anyone else noticed that if you go into your address book, find a contact you want directions to and click on your menu button you now have an option for "Show on Google Maps".

Very cool! This was the only thing that I liked about BlackBerry Maps, but now I don't have to worry about that either. WOO HOO! Love it!

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

D-loading the upgrade now...

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

vinmontRD no está en línea Stack level 3

I started with 2.0, and it worked well for about a day. I then tried to demo "my location" to a friend, and it seemed that the feature had disappeared completely! I tried shutting it down, restarting, etc., but pressing "0" didn't work, and the menu didn't show the option (unless I was temporarily blind from exhaustion or in a fugue state). So, I uninstalled 2.0 and went back to Google's site. Lo and behold, they were up to 2.0.1, so I downloaded and installed, and it seems to be working fine now.

Even though the accuracy is limited, the concept is fantastic, and once again Google is innovating where so many other companies simply follow the market. I've read conflicting reports about the technology:

Phones can use "cellular triangulation" to determine location, by measuring distance to the 3 nearest cell towers (via round-trip packet transmission time to each), and half the articles about Google Maps 2 beta claim that this is what it's using. Other articles specifically say "no", that this is not what GMM is using -- they state that it simply figures out where the tower is that you're connected to, and draws the blue circle of uncertainty around that location.

I do NOT believe the latter is true - and here's why: my home is NOT especially close to a cell tower. Yet half the time I try firing up GMM and search for "my location", it shows up centered almost exactly on top of my house, with the blue circle surrounding it. If GMM only used info about a single tower, that should be impossible.

If anyone has links to more detailed info, that would be great to read...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast