Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This thread has moved to: Free HTML email viewer for BlackBerry Hello, Our free HTML ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

saraiya no está en línea Stack level 2

Free HTML email viewer goes alpha

Advertisement

This thread has moved to:

Free HTML email viewer for BlackBerry

Hello,

Our free HTML viewer for BlackBerry email just went alpha. You can download it over the air at http://www.saraiya.com/BMail/ota.pl (OS 4.1) or at http://www.saraiya.com/BMail42/ota.pl (OS 4.2). Support is at bbemail@saraiya.com . It works for OS 4.1 and up, and may work for earlier versions as well.

It consists of two parts: an email viewer that is accessible from the menu inside the standard BlackBerry message view, and a standalone application that also uses this viewer.
    The Settings page is accessible from the menu of the standard BlackBerry message view, or from inside the standalone application.

New versions are pushed out often. The following is probably already obsolete.

The viewer does the following:
    1. It is an HTML viewer, not a text viewer. You can click on links (images or other) to download them, or
    find out where they would go if you clicked on them, and click on mailto: email links to send email.
    2. It is also a BlackBerry viewer, in the sense that it detects email addresses and phone numbers automatically, so that you can contact them or add them to your address book just as in your standard BlackBerry message view.
    3. You have the option to ask it to autoload images, either for all email or per email message.
    4. It has the standard email functions: reply, reply all, forward and delete.
    5. You are prompted whether you want to quote the original message in your response.
    6. You can specify a signature to be added to all of these.
    7. A menu item allows you to request that the software download all the images on the page.
    8. A menu item allows you to retrieve more (or all) of the message from
    BlackBerry's servers.
    9. It allows you to create an appointment in your calendar and optionally add the message body
    to the Notes field of the appointment.
    10. It allows you to control the foreground, background and link colors, and the font.
    11. You can specify it as your default viewer.
    12. The 4.2 version allows you to add your own image as a background.

The standalone application adds the following functionality:
    1. You can view all the email accounts and folders on your BlackBerry.
    2. You can organize messages by subject, by sender or none (i.e. the standard BlackBerry view).
    3. You can delete by category (subject or sender).
    4. You can view messages using the same viewer as above.
    Last edited by saraiya; 08-31-2007 at 09:49 PM.

alwaysbelieve1 no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: Free HTML email viewer goes alpha

Please post screen shots.

What is different from your app than say Empower(which seems to be the best) or BB Smart Viewer(which was smashed by Empower LOL)?

Thanks
    Bob Garon II, Kettlebell Coach

Fitness Has Nothing To Do With Looking Good.
    BobGaronTraining.com

Follow Me At:
    Twitter
    Facebook

Zekialstone no está en línea Stack level 3

I think it is great for being free. I like the feature of adding an email to the calendar. I have a free Empower license, but I will keep this application because of the calendar feature.
    This application is great for cheapos like me

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i don't get what the calendar feature is exactly. Can someone please explain a bit further.

Hello?
    Bob Garon II, Kettlebell Coach

Fitness Has Nothing To Do With Looking Good.
    BobGaronTraining.com

Follow Me At:
    Twitter
    Facebook

dgy2k1 no está en línea Stack level 3

Downloaded it. Will check it out.

Security and automatic downloading of links/attachments

We've been asked why we give you the option to download links but don't do it automatically. The reason is the same as the reason that BlackBerry doesn't do it: it's inherently insecure. When you browse, you choose what links to click on. When you get email, if your viewer automatically downloads images, then in effect someone else is clicking for you. That way, spammers can track whether you have opened their email, or worse put a virus on your phone. We provide you with the option of viewing the link before you click on it.

Writing your own attachment handler is even worse unless you link it to a powerful antivirus program -- which BlackBerry probably does when you use their Attachment Service via your phone. That's why we are carefully considering what to do with attachments.

Since many BlackBerry users have sensitive company information on their phones, we thought that security was an important issue.

Re: Security and automatic downloading of links/attachments

Quote Originally Posted by saraiya
    We've been asked why we give you the option to download links but
    don't do it automatically. The reason is the same as the reason that BlackBerry doesn't do it: it's inherently insecure. When you browse, you choose what links to click on. When you get email, if your viewer automatically downloads images, then in effect someone else is clicking for you. That way, spammers can track whether you have opened their email, or worse put a virus on your phone. We provide you with the option of viewing the link before you click on it.

Writing your own attachment handler is even worse unless you link it to a powerful antivirus program -- which BlackBerry probably does when you use their Attachment Service via your phone. That's why we are carefully considering what to do with attachments.

Since many BlackBerry users have sensitive company information on their phones, we thought that security was an important issue.
    We got too many requests for image downloads, so we added image download as a menu item inside the email viewer.

Feature requests?

Hello,

We have currently put attachments on hold because we don't want to interfere with BlackBerry's attachment service, which will always be the top of the heap.

Does anyone have feature requests?

There is no shortage of colours in your program, but I would love a selection of more vivid backgrounds. Is there a way for us to insert a photo of our choosing for the background? Is there a way to keep the background static, and have the words scroll up and down?

What about the ability to encrypt/decrypt messages, flag them for reading or reply later. Ability to toggle on/off as the default viewer.

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Does this program give the ability to write in color?

Quote Originally Posted by Zekialstone
    There is no shortage of colours in your program, but I would love a selection of more vivid backgrounds. Is there a way for us to insert a photo of our choosing for the background? Is there a way to keep the background static, and have the words scroll up and down?

What about the ability to encrypt/decrypt messages, flag them for reading or reply later. Ability to toggle on/off as the default viewer.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

We will work on a way to have your own photo as a background.

Encryption/decryption is a big problem because of government regulations. The BlackBerry does come with some cryptographic libraries, but we are reluctant to go there.

Flags sound good. We will look into that.

Regarding being the default viewer: we really don't want to do that. Our initial and current premise is that nobody can keep up with the functionality that BlackBerry itself offers, and we don't want to get people into a situation where they are using our viewer exclusively and missing out on what BlackBerry offers. After all, they bought the BlackBerry for a reason. An example is our thinking on attachments. We don't want to replace BlackBerry's attachment service with what will inevitably be an inferior version.

Reply later is a really good idea. Let us think on that and try to figure out a way that integrates well with what BlackBerry already offers.

A reminder: BlackBerry can do BlackBerry html email better than anyone. The reason they haven't is security. Please keep that in mind.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

dgy2k1 no está en línea Stack level 3

Downloaded new version.

I will be happy if you can give us any type of pretty background. That is a big drawback I see. I understand your thoughts on not doing some things that BlackBerry does better.

I have another graphic idea. I dislike how the "link" and "show" clickables look. Is there a way to make them look like a button or something? I visualize a button the shape of rounded rectangle.

I appreciate all your free work.

My trackball on my Pearl is buggy. Most of the time it does not register when depressed. That is the only way to open up options like color or open up a link. Will you make "enter" key do the same thing?

The answer is probably no, but no harm in asking Is there a way to make sent emails self destruct after X period of time?
    Maybe make sent emails unable to be forwarded or copied?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast