Hi, I would like to selectively encrypt a couple of files I carry with me ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

ixtab no está en línea Stack level 3

File (txt/html) encryption on the BB?

Advertisement

Hi,

I would like to selectively encrypt a couple of files I carry with me on my blackberry.
    The files are relatively large (most are 250K, one is over 1Mb!) so I can't (I considered) paste them into Ascendo DataVault or KeePass...

The files are extremely important (and personal). I searched for 3rd party encryption software for the BB (that will be able to encrypt/decrypt large files) but was not able to find anything.

Does anyone have any creative ideas that I might have missed?

Here's what I tried/considered:

1) Ascendo DataVault / KeepPass / (other password manager) - the issue is that the notes records are small (won't encrypt/store 250kb text files)
    2) Enable built-in encryption and save file as-is on the file-system (then open with "Browser") - problem is the nature of the text files is highly confidential and personal, and I don't want the BES admin to be able to somehow get them off my blackberry (over the air or USB).
    3) Enable mSD card encryption and store as-is on the mSD card - same concern as (2).

Thanks!
    Ix
    Last edited by ixtab; 11-12-2007 at 04:23 PM.

icancn2u no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: File (txt/html) encryption on the BB?

If you enable content protection no one can access the bb via usb w/o a password.

Thank you icancn2u. And how about OTA (BES connection, can the BES admin query (list, transfer/view) files that are stored on my BB when content protection is enabled)?

berrycool no está en línea Developer

Quote Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
    Hi,
    I would like to selectively encrypt a couple of files I carry with me on my blackberry.
    The files are relatively large (most are 250K, one is over 1Mb!) so I can't (I considered) paste them into Ascendo DataVault or KeePass...

1) Ascendo DataVault / KeepPass / (other password manager) - the issue is that the notes records are small (won't encrypt/store 250kb text files)
    Thanks!
    Ix
    Hi ixtab,

That's a really good idea.

As you can see from our latest version, Ascendo DataVault is moving in that direction by allowing users to encrypt emails, BlackBerry notes, BlackBerry addresses/contacts in addition to passwords, usernames, PINs, etc. Encrypting files is on the roadmap but we cannot commit to a delivery date.

Marc
    Ascendo Inc.
    Ascendo DataVault - Password Manager for BlackBerry
    Last edited by berrycool; 11-14-2007 at 09:59 AM.

Thank you Marc. I am already a registered user of DataVault, I'd love to see file encryption as part of it in the future.